WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
  • Team is controlling the play pretty easily, but it's still just a 2 goal lead. Need to create some separation, ideally early in the 3rd to deflate the Czechs.
  • Much better period from Miller. Most confident he's been all tournament.
  • Robertson's vision is impressive. His patience to hold up and let lanes develop is a treat. Nice finish by Norris on that pass.
  • Samberg has been very good tonight against the Czech top line. Anderson's been ok too, but he's turning it over a bit too much.
  • Poehling and Madden have been very quiet. They need to turn it up for the 3rd.
  • I hate when USA/Canada don't play in the WJC. I was hoping we'd have another possible gold medal showdown. That said, I do enjoy the fact that Comtois will go down as a failure for Team Canada as their captain. His antics were an embarrassment.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well balanced play right now...all lines are looking solid, need to sit St Ivany and possibly Miller if he doesn't get better in the 3rd period...time to shore it up and not have any giveaways now

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Yikes...relief!

The win is even more impressive when you consider the fact that apparently St Ivany is using a licorice whip as his stick.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I don't think you can play St. Ivany a single minute the rest of the tournament.

Seriously. I gave Poehling and Norris a bunch of shit last year and I remember dreading when the puck went near them. But St Ivany has set a new standard. He hasn’t played a clean puck all week. No idea what’s going on.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A game where one team is dominated so thoroughly shouldn't turn into a nail biter late in the 3rd, but it's probably for the best to have the tight game in the 3rd versus the walkaway win it could have have easily been.
  • Poehling was really poor tonight. That PP goal against was on him and he was mostly quiet elsewhere. He's too big, strong, and quick to be that unnoticeable.
  • Jack Hughes looked great after the layoff. Could have easily had 3-4 points if his teammates had some better finish. Drury and Cates both should have buried passes from him in the 3rd on the same shift.
  • Samberg and Kemp were very good. Best defensemen tonight.
  • Evan Barratt needs to be a lot better. He's been a huge disappointment. Penn State's offensive run and gun system isn't translating here.
  • Cates still gets way too much ice time, but at least tonight he earned it. If he was more skilled he would have had a hat trick tonight.
  • Primeau was barely tested in this game as outside of the goal against, most of the Czech shots (and there weren't many) were fairly harmless and from the outside. He should be well rested for the semifinal.
  • Dostal was excellent for the Czechs. Only reason this wasn't a blowout loss for them.
  • The Czech team whined like they were playing soccer. There were missed calls both ways, but with the amount of flops they took and the nasty cross checks they were throwing in front of the net it's hard to be upset with the referees. You're not going to get many PPs when you barely touch the puck.
Can Slovakia pull the third upset of the QFs and set up a more favorable semifinal, or will we have a powerhouse matchup?

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was totally clenching the final 3 minutes lol....

tumblr_ph8gnlPjS11xkok61o1_250.jpg

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A game where one team is dominated so thoroughly shouldn't turn into a nail biter late in the 3rd, but it's probably for the best to have the tight game in the 3rd versus the walkaway win it could have have easily been.
  • Poehling was really poor tonight. That PP goal against was on him and he was mostly quiet elsewhere. He's too big, strong, and quick to be that unnoticeable.
  • Jack Hughes looked great after the layoff. Could have easily had 3-4 points if his teammates had some better finish. Drury and Cates both should have buried passes from him in the 3rd on the same shift.
  • Samberg and Kemp were very good. Best defensemen tonight.
  • Evan Barratt needs to be a lot better. He's been a huge disappointment. Penn State's offensive run and gun system isn't translating here.
  • Cates still gets way too much ice time, but at least tonight he earned it. If he was more skilled he would have had a hat trick tonight.
  • Primeau was barely tested in this game as outside of the goal against, most of the Czech shots (and there weren't many) were fairly harmless and from the outside. He should be well rested for the semifinal.
  • Dostal was excellent for the Czechs. Only reason this wasn't a blowout loss for the Czechs.
  • The Czech team whined like they were playing soccer. There were missed calls both ways, but with the amount of flops they took and the nasty cross checks there were throwing in front of the net it's hard to be upset with the referees. You're not going to get many PPs when you barely touch the puck.
Can Slovakia pull the third upset of the QFs and set up a more favorable semifinal, or will we have a powerhouse matchup?
agree with everything but Barratt. I thought he was excellent out there tonight. he was near the team lead in shots, around the net a ton, set up some nice chances as well..he keeps playing like this he gets rewarded, he has been excellent all tourney for me.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
agree with everything but Barratt. I thought he was excellent out there tonight. he was near the team lead in shots, around the net a ton, set up some nice chances as well..he keeps playing like this he gets rewarded, he has been excellent all tourney for me.

He's been fine if you had no expectations, but a 19 year old that's tearing up the NCAA and getting prime minutes should have more than 1 goal and 0 assists in this tournament.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Have to admit i'm surprised USA is still alive. But it's good to see the true North American hockey power alive. Keep up the good work boys!!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's been fine if you had no expectations, but a 19 year old that's tearing up the NCAA and getting prime minutes should have more than 1 goal and 0 assists in this tournament.
yeah, wording it that way I can see it. but I have really focused on him since he is Hawks property, and he has been deployed to play a different role. he is playing more of a grinding game than the run and gun at Penn St...he just plays the game the way you need to play at the pro level..his backhand goal is still one of the best goals of the tournament, and he is constantly around the net - just not much puck luck right now - Samuelsson not getting him the puck back when he was wide open bashing his stick on the ice for the puck was unforgivable.

Barratt is responsible at the dot and in his own zone, he and his line have been suffocating out there IMO...they have been asked to reel it in a bit and focus on two way play..I want to see more offense and think we will need his line against Russia to have a chance.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Well, Russia is going to have an easy game heading into the semifinal. Slovakia has had a couple of nice chances, but Russia has buried their chances and the Slovak goalies have let in some stinkers. 4-0 Russia 11 minutes into it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I really don't understand how St. Ivany is getting any game time. He has been a disaster all tournament, he shouldn't see the ice anymore.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
A couple thoughts:

Jason Robertson looks NHL ready, like right now. So creative with the puck and poised to make a great play.

Russia in my opinion is the favorite to win it all. They looked downright overwhelming against a halfway decent team. I just hope Hastings and co. are prepared for their aggressive style.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A couple thoughts:

Jason Robertson looks NHL ready, like right now. So creative with the puck and poised to make a great play.

Russia in my opinion is the favorite to win it all. They looked downright overwhelming against a halfway decent team. I just hope Hastings and co. are prepared for their aggressive style.
Russia is scary good...this will be one hell of a battle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A couple thoughts:

Agreed. I have no idea If his game will translate to the Pros, but he is the one guy who has impressed more than any other in the Tournament. He never seems to make mistakes, and every time he touches the puck, good things happen. Seems to be able to pass, shoot, check, skate. I'm thinking Pavelski, maybe?

In him, DAL has some badly needed forward depth coming. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the latter part of next year playing NHL.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Cezchs had very few shifts of sustained pressure but when they did, St. Ivany and Samuelsson were out there.
I disagree with your assessment. Mikey Anderson got stuck out there more than a few times. St Ivany was often a train wreck though. I thought Samuelsson was ok.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Chris Peters- ESPN Draft and Prospect Analyst says Quinn has been the most important player for USA along w. Poehling. Adds that his points arent reflecting it because half the time the forwards are surprised w. The passes Quinn makes and they dont expect them or know what to do with them. Peters also said hes scouted and seen every team at least twice and that Quinn Huhges and Eric Brannstorm are the best and most talented Dman in this tourny by a country mile

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...hes-has-been-team-usa-s-best-player-1.1234803

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad