2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think we just have to start viewing refereeing as a form of luck. Sometimes the puck bounces off the back glass, off the goalies back, and into the net. Sometimes a ref calls something that's a borderline minor at worst a 5 minute major. That's just part of the game I guess. An incredibly stupid part of the game.

Reactions: Identity404

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Someone on Reddit posted a good breakdown on the penalty call:

Ok I feel like we need to look at this call from the ref's eyes.

It's the dying minutes of a game 7 in which one team has a clear lead, and the series has been chippy, if not dirty at points. After a faceoff, you see a player motionless on the ice, bleeding from his head. The linesman comes over to you and says "#26 ran right into the guy and drove him into the ice" but you didn't see anything and the linesman can't really say if it was a penalty. Players start jawing at each other and exchanging slashes, the tension is boiling.

The Sharks are obviously gonna be furious that their captain was injured in a possibly dirty play and they're gonna want revenge, on top of already being frustrated about the impending series loss.

To avoid losing control of the game and keep the last 10 minutes from turning into an all-out brawl, and to keep Eakin or someone else on VGK from getting cheapshotted, you take the offender off the ice. Considering the severity of the injury, you invoke the discretion of the referee rule to give him a major + game misconduct.

I'm not mad at the call honestly. I'm sure someone would have started taking runs had it not been called.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You pretty well summed up my thoughts on the penalty. I'll say, for me personally, it's probably a 2 min penalty (unless you can say 4 min double-minor because of the injury?)...much like with the Foegele-Oshie incident, the injury was incredibly unfortunate but more the result of an awkward fall than directly due to the infraction. That said, it was a very hard cross-check, to the chest, not in the active play, AND turned into an inujry (maybe you call 2 for cross-checking, 2 for interference)...so it's not the most egregious thing ever.

That said, anyone whining that it cost them the game is a moron. Should it have been 2 instead of 5 min, probably...but if you let in 4 goals on a single 5 min PP that's on YOU, not the refs. You can maybe fault them and be angry with 1 goal, but not 4...that's just pitiful. They were literally 400% on that PP. I've seen plenty of 4 min, 5 min, and 5 on 3 PKs stifle the opposition, so that shouldn't be an excuse.

Under the cross checking rule, an injury enhancement is a major, not a double minor. I don't like calling the result rather than the action, but that is what the rulebook says it should be. An otherwise minor cross check that results in an injury can be called a major based on egergious conduct or intent to injure. A minor cross check that happens during play resulting in an injury won't generally get the enhancement, but one during a break in play with premediation that results in an injury is going to. It's not how I'd write the rule, but it is the rule. Double minor is only an option for high sticks.

It was, by the rulebook, the right call, or at least not the wrong one. Again, try not having the world's shittiest penalty kill.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can't even venture to go into the amazing and long GDT at this point of night, so this may have been discussed there. The NBCSN intermission crew was openly rooting for Ovi to get the OT winner, and then in the second intermission, moved on to Wilson briefly. Not really much mention of any of our guys, just how great it would be for Ovi to get his first OT winner. **** em.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The funny thing is that when it comes to the truly casual fan who doesn't know anything about the NHL but just flips through the channels and stops on playoff hockey, the Canes might actually be the bigger pull.

I'm pretty sure of anything a non-fan or casual fan might've heard about this season, the Storm Surge had entered the zeitgeist by mid-season. A bunch of spots on ESPN. Rating will be fine.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I can't even venture to go into the amazing and long GDT at this point of night, so this may have been discussed there. The NBCSN intermission crew was openly rooting for Ovi to get the OT winner, and then in the second intermission, moved on to Wilson briefly. Not really much mention of any of our guys, just how great it would be for Ovi to get his first OT winner. **** em.

After the 2nd my dad was bitching about the NBC guys and I let him know they were also carrying the game on FSC, he was relieved.

Even after the game that f***ing goofball Jones dropping excuses for the Caps "they're without one of their top defenseman in Kempny and a game breaker like Oshie"... f*** the hockey media. Although, NHL network guys are pretty good.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
After the 2nd my dad was *****ing about the NBC guys and I let him know they were also carrying the game on FSC, he was relieved.

Even after the game that ****ing goofball Jones dropping excuses for the Caps "they're without one of their top defenseman in Kempny and a game breaker like Oshie"... **** the hockey media. Although, NHL network guys are pretty good.
No ferland, no Svech, how many rookies and first time playoff performers in the lineup? Not to mention caps have the best goal scorer, maybe of all time, plus an absolute filthy set up man in backstrom. Lame excuses on his part

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
No ferland, no Svech, how many rookies and first time playoff performers in the lineup? Not to mention caps have the best goal scorer, maybe of all time, plus an absolute filthy set up man in backstrom. Lame excuses on his part

To be faaaaaiiir... after a commercial break, he did acknowledge the injuries to Ferly and Svech. But I'm gonna go with someone told him to mention it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Even after the game that ****ing goofball Jones dropping excuses for the Caps "they're without one of their top defenseman in Kempny and a game breaker like Oshie"... **** the hockey media. Although, NHL network guys are pretty good.

Rando guy on the main boards said Kempny was better than any Canes defenseman.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Can’t forget Martinook skating on a peg leg. Could feel his pain through the tv.
in some of the post-game videos posted last night you can see Martinook's entire thigh wrapped. I always thought he had a bone bruise or something but maybe it's a hammy? it's crazy to even imagine skating at NHL playoff level with a wonky hamstring, much less excelling.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
in some of the post-game videos posted last night you can see Martinook's entire thigh wrapped. I always thought he had a bone bruise or something but maybe it's a hammy? it's crazy to even imagine skating at NHL playoff level with a wonky hamstring, much less excelling.

I was thinking deep thigh bruise, but hammy is possible. It looked to me that the ice was toward the front. I've had the thigh thing before and it's hard to even lift your leg. Walking was a challenge.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Stop teasing me...

upload_2019-4-25_14-6-0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions