GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part 2

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
My favorite part is how triggered Sharks fans are on the main board over how badly they have been screwed by the refs.

One of the most annoying fanbases in the league. All they do is whine about the refs which is hilarious cause they get favorable calls every single time. I don't even like the Blues but I hope they find a way to beat the NHL's new darlings. **** em.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Here's the thing to me...

Hockey is a hard game to call, especially in the playoffs where a ton of illegal shit is happening. I get that. There is going to be inconsistency in what is and is not called, and literally every single fanbase gets mad over this.

That said, no team has been the recipient of as many blatant, game changing calls as the Sharks have in recent memory. Sure the Sharks have been on the short end of some calls, but they have also repeatedly been the recipient of crucial, series changing calls three times now.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Here's the thing to me...

Hockey is a hard game to call, especially in the playoffs where a ton of illegal **** is happening. I get that. There is going to be inconsistency in what is and is not called, and literally every single fanbase gets mad over this.

That said, no team has been the recipient of as many blatant, game changing calls as the Sharks have in recent memory. Sure the Sharks have been on the short end of some calls, but they have also repeatedly been the recipient of crucial, series changing calls three times now.
Completely agree. Their whole fan base keeps whining about things like a missed delay of game during the 2nd period, but "we're even now that a blatant missed hand pass led to a OT goal." Like get over yourself :laugh:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Thornton's interview by Scott Oake last night was priceless. I don't have a link sorry.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
2E33B419-1DBE-4A70-B0AA-763596D79056.jpeg

Lol.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If it was one bad call like that, even if it was just the one against us that knocked us out, I wouldn’t complain but the fact that there’s been a major call in every series for them (2 of them in game 7s) just feels fishy to me.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Easy solution. Go the NFL route and review ALL goals for any non penalty infractions up to 5-10 seconds prior. That time frame is short enough that it affects the specific goal bit isn't so long as to have no affect on it. Or better yet, have the language "directly contributing" to the goal being part of the review. Get rid of the garbage offside challenge. And define damn goalie interference. It changes game to game, period to period. Show that you're looking for consistency in solving the problems, not creating other problems when fixing one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think you're seeing that ambiguity in the rules allows reviews to get out of hand (offsides). Define it clearly or don't have review.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My favorite part is how triggered Sharks fans are on the main board over how badly they have been screwed by the refs.

I think they get it from watching Randy Hahn. He’s been whining every single game for 28 years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would eradicate challenges completely if I had my way. I'd also get rid of the puck-over-the-glass rule.

Anyone who says replay has made officiating better is clearly ignoring the evidence. It made the NFL worse, it made the NBA worse, and it's really making the NHL worse because now, in a league that's looking for more offense, goals are getting called back some guy's foot was in the air. This is madness.

I think, if anything, the entire culture of NHL officiating needs to change. This insistence that they need to pocket the whistles in the postseason and then sometimes call this infraction or that one even though the previous 20 went unchecked is stupidity at its finest. A former official on the radio not too long ago said that refs are hard-wired insofar that they'd much rather make an error of omission rather than comission. They don't ever want to be the reason a game was decided. Well...tough shit guys. Do your f***ing jobs. Because when you paint yourself into a corner like that, you end up with an egregiously bad call like the one in game 7 between the Knights and Sharks.

Kinda weird that the Sharks are the ones that keep getting these breaks though...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Anyone who says replay has made officiating better is clearly ignoring the evidence. It made the NFL worse, it made the NBA worse, and it's really making the NHL worse because now, in a league that's looking for more offense, goals are getting called back some guy's foot was in the air. This is madness.

It used to be the only league that had it right... now it is falling apart all because of Matt Duchene. :nod:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It used to be the only league that had it right... now it is falling apart all because of Matt Duchene. :nod:

Well more because the f***ing Predators couldn't stop their incessant whining over a regular season game.

And I'm pretty sure the number of Duchene-like incidents that have occurred since then have been precisely...zero.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Well the Wild Card Chaos Squad was fun while it lasted. The playoffs would have been more interesting had that continued, I could care less about the teams left. I can't possibly pick a team to root for out of everyone left.

As for officiating, I think it's time to start developing AI that can make accurate calls on the spot, or at least provide assist to humans. Players in all sports mess up all the time, and so will officials forever. The problem with replay is it is still an entirely human operation and it slows down games and people still mess up. The infallibility of humans is compelling with players, but not for officiating..

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Teams eliminating Columbus in the SC playoffs now have an 80% chance of reaching the Finals. :laugh:
Their fan base really deserves better.

Speaking of which....the way the Carolina fan base cheered at the end of the game tonight...damn. My hat is off to them. It was a blow-out but they were vocal until the end and really gave their boys a vocal appreciation for everything they did this season. I know folks joke about hockey in un-traditional markets but if you have a team that is at least playoffs worthy, the fans will be there and be loud. That was pretty awesome.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can't review a cut-and-dry handpass but you can challenge every skate on a blue line from terrible camera angles and goaltender interference calls which are purely speculative in nature.

Makes sense.

They shouldn't even need a review. Not sure how all four officials missed a blatant hand pass like that.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I just know it that SJ will win. It hurts because the Avs could have been there.

These chances don't come along often. Almost all of the top teams knocked out.

The future looks good but MacK is already 23 with a lot of games under his belt. How long will he be a top player in the world for?

That being said... Chicago got taken out early in a few tough series before winning it all...

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I just know it that SJ will win. It hurts because the Avs could have been there.

These chances don't come along often. Almost all of the top teams knocked out.

The future looks good but MacK is already 23 with a lot of games under his belt. How long will he be a top player in the world for?

That being said... Chicago got taken out early in a few tough series before winning it all...

Already 23? I see MacK be this good for at least the next 8 years. His next contract might set a new record, but by then the cap will probably be like 90M or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad