GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part 2

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Man, that is a bad one to miss. It was so obvious as it was happening, it seems impossible that an official didn't notice. I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories, but I can sympathize with those who might after San Jose keeps getting massive benefits from reffing (or lack thereof). And to lose an OT game like that - I feel for Blues fans, even if I've been rooting for the Sharks.

Last edited:

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
I kinda tuned out hockey after the Avs were eliminated. I’ll have some of the games on in the background but my goodness I just saw how the sharks won. How much more will they be gifted?

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I still have yet to see a definitive camera angle showing Landeskog's foot was not on the blue line when that puck crossed.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
SJ players have to be sitting in their locker room right now thinking 'how the f*** are we getting away with this?'

I still have yet to see a definitive camera angle showing Landeskog's foot was not on the blue line when that puck crossed.

There wasn't one. They overturned a call on the ice without irrefutable evidence and until I see a different camera angle that proves it they got that call wrong.

Still not as painful as what Vegas fans had to witness.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

There isn’t. Sharks fans have all the excuses about the call in the world. But not a single one of them, or the league, has shown a conclusive angle of Landeskog never touching the blue line. Which says it all right there. They all know it’s the wrong call, they’re just too cowardly to admit it.

What’s even better is Landeskog didn’t even need to be touching the blue when the puck crossed: he wasn’t touching the puck or influencing the play so even if he wasn’t touching the line when the puck crossed he would only have been in a delayed offside position. So even if he touched the blue line AFTER the puck had crossed the line (and before another Av attacked the zone) that would have counted as touching up and put him back onside, allowing the Avs to re-attack the zone (and that was the case — MacK entered the zone and touched the puck well after Landy had touched up). It’s a play that happens a dozen times a game. There’s zero doubt that was a good goal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They have to make some kind of changes after this postseason. I'm not sure what the solution is but missing obvious ones and then simply saying it's not reviewable can't be the answer. We saw the puck clearly hit the netting and then a goal go in against the Bruins last round. Now tonight it's a clear hand pass that's somehow missed by all the officials. Meanwhile, they're breaking down offside plays frame by frame to determine if a player not involved in the play whatsoever was a centimeter over or above the blue line.

Maybe you have to go the NFL route and have all scoring plays reviewed by Toronto. Even then though, it's a lot different in hockey so I don't know how you determine how far back you can go if there's a clear infraction but the goal isn't scored immediately. They need to take offside reviews/challenges completely out of it though.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Can't review a cut-and-dry handpass but you can challenge every skate on a blue line from terrible camera angles and goaltender interference calls which are purely speculative in nature.

Makes sense.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
They'll probably just let the storyline play out if it's Bruins/Sharks. They just wanted Thornton to make it to the final to play his old team for the RATINGS BABY

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I like the idea floating around that video review should be allowed for a lot more things, but only reviewed at real-time speed. No staring at super-duper slow motion for 10 minutes. If it's not obvious enough to overturn at real time speed, it doesn't get overturned.

Obviously goals crossing the line and suspendable plays will still be done in super slo-mo.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They have to make some kind of changes after this postseason. I'm not sure what the solution is but missing obvious ones and then simply saying it's not reviewable can't be the answer. We saw the puck clearly hit the netting and then a goal go in against the Bruins last round. Now tonight it's a clear hand pass that's somehow missed by all the officials. Meanwhile, they're breaking down offside plays frame by frame to determine if a player not involved in the play whatsoever was a centimeter over or above the blue line.

Maybe you have to go the NFL route and have all scoring plays reviewed by Toronto. Even then though, it's a lot different in hockey so I don't know how you determine how far back you can go if there's a clear infraction but the goal isn't scored immediately. They need to take offside reviews/challenges completely out of it though.
The problem, to me, is that NHL GM's are the ones voting/discussing these rule changes and not one of them is on the ice when this is taking place.

Sure, a lot of them played at the NHL level but it's unacceptable that they're the ones tasked with making these decisions.

The NHLPA should be making these decisions in the offseason.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The problem, to me, is that NHL GM's are the ones voting/discussing these rule changes and not one of them is on the ice when this is taking place.

Sure, a lot of them played at the NHL level but it's unacceptable that they're the ones tasked with making these decisions.

The NHLPA should be making these decisions in the offseason.

I though do not like that the players set their own rules 100% either. Employers should not make company rules.
There has to be a compromise between the two though, cause the system is quite laughable now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If it were up to me the ref could've thrown the puck in the net himself and I'd give him a medal. Hopefully, Sharks win and just ruin the Bruins in the finals.

Reactions: Murzu

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
They'll probably just let the storyline play out if it's Bruins/Sharks. They just wanted Thornton to make it to the final to play his old team for the RATINGS BABY

Funny thing is though, the way Ref Jose scammed their way to the final along with the piss poor officiating in general, will cause a huge dip in ratings and will negate any sort of storyline they were trying to set up :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00