GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs ( general talk )

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I am not sure Sharks are as good as their run is as it seems everything is going right for them, but I gotta give them credit for one aspect. That is, they're so good at just absorbing pressure either if it's mentality, turtling, physically, or even both. They turtled in almost every game against us when they had the lead, but were able to survive. Even if Blues lose this series, they're targeting specific players and just running into them any chance they got. That's something we definitely did not do in our series, like EK65 is playing injured, but holy smokes Blaise got like 5 solid hits in this game. They might be limping to the Finals if Blues decide to stop playing hockey and goon it up.

Also wanted to add that Meier is pretty unbelievable. Again he's not better than Mikko if you were to compare their overall skill, but man he is as physically tough and talented as they come by.

I didn't pay attention to the Sharks this season, they're definitely a better team that I gave them credit for. I think Couture is playing above his means, but Hertl and Meier are both built for the playoffs and had really good reason seasons as well. Hertl was almost PPG, I don't think I heard his name mentioned once this whole season. One thing I have to say, I think the Sharks scouting staff doesn't get enough praise. They definitely haven't hit it out of the ballpark with their draft picks like Tampa, but they more than made up for it in the later rounds or undrafted. Look at this list:

Pavelski - 7th round
Braun - 7th round
Labanc - 6th round
Donskoi - euro signing
Sorensen - euro signing
Heed - euro signing
Karlsson - undrafted
Goodrow - undrafted

It's similar with their AHL team too, they have plenty of undrafted or late round picks producing at a high-level in the AHL. I'm always envious looking at other teams, because it puts into perspective how pathetic the Avs scouting team is outside of the top 10 picks. Having that type of depth would do wonders for us. Imagine if we had Labanc, Sorensen, Donskoi, Karlsson instead of Brassard, Andrighetto, Bourque, Kerfoot.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Timo Meier walking a vet like JayBo makes me feel like Makar didnt do so bad on that one play in game 6. Still think Landy should have stopped in front and not fly by on that one.
Makar didn't do very good against Meier on that play in game 6 but he played him perfectly twice in game 7 on similar plays. I noticed because my first reaction was...nice he is learning fast.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
The only acceptable winner in my mind is the Canes. Other than that, meh.

Agreed, Go Jerks!

don-cherry-hurricanes.jpg

Well-the-Jerk-Store-called-and-theyre-running-out-of-you..gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The only acceptable winner in my mind is the Canes. Other than that, meh.
That's the underdog, yes, but I don't care about the Sharks beating the Avs at this point, nor do I care about St. Louis being a division rival. Also, I couldn't care less about the whole Boston thing that people dislike the Bruins because of this and that. Whatever. It'll be a little bit cooler if the Canes win, but you know. Also, I just prefer the Canes because of their Finns in big roles and the fact that they haven't been very good in the past. I couldn't care less about wagoning for "the jerks".

I mean, here are the teams I'd rather not see win:
The Wild

Toronto a little bit

Chicago maybe but whatever
Edmonton for a while at least, but they're not going to.

Other than that, eh, who cares? And I don't know if that's a similar problem the other sports leagues have, but hockey fans are really tied to their team in the spring and that definitely shows in viewership.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Canes are running out of miracles.

Wouldn't be surprised to watch them getting swept after sweeping the Isles who swept the Pens.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Was really hoping to see Carolina do better. Still early in the series, but being down 2-0 isn't promising, nor is getting beat 4-0 in the third.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
After the main board thread about how "BOS-SJ would be the most anticipated Cup Final of the cap era" or whatever, I can't wait for everyone to talk up the Joe Thornton storyline at all times. Does Joe remember he played for Boston? Are we really going to pretend like it's a factor here that a guy played on the other team thirteen years ago? I mean, I remember when he did, he was there for NHL 2004...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This series isn't over. The Canes didn't look great against Washington through games 1 and 2, either, but game 3 changed everything with that home crowd. Canes played fearless.

It goes without saying that game 3 is a must-win; however, if the Canes can get the job done, it's series on.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Boston is currently the least objectionable option to me so I am definitely out

I just don't want Saint Louis to win
I’m there also.

Boston would piss off MTL fans, so that’s good.

Don’t care about SJ Frauds.

O’Money can f*** off so STL is on the no fly list.

CAR winning a second out-of-the-blue cup for such a mediocre fan base would be awful.

Reactions: BigMack29

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Pavelski high sticks his own guy. Sharks fans immediately boo, start a “refs you suck” chant, and San Jose fans on HF promptly start crying about it. They are flooding the main board complaining about the refs tonight. What an absolutely shameless fan base.

Reactions: klozge

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Pavelski high sticks his own guy. Sharks fans immediately boo, start a “refs you suck” chant, and San Jose fans on HF promptly start crying about it. They are flooding the main board complaining about the refs tonight. What an absolutely shameless fan base.

I mean, it kinda makes sense that fans of a team nicknamed the Sharks would be extra salty...

giphy.gif

But, I agree, SJ fans are acting like Toronto, Montreal, & Edmonton fans, as though winning the Cup is their birthright in this playoffs.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Can Colorado move to the Eastern Conference, or C’bust back to the WC? Teams to eliminate them will have now reached the Finals I believe 4 out of 5 times (assuming Bawston doesn’t blow their now 3-0 series lead).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad