GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs ( general talk )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Matthews and Nylander were significantly worse are the time of the signings. Especially Matthews who absolutely bullied Dubas with that contract and changed the RFA contract dynamic in the whole league. Hainsey's contract is over and Marleau only has one year left, those are your typical vet signings (AKA nothing to see here).

Zaitsev was pretty bad but you need to remember the context here. He was a star dman in the KHL, in his prime, who just had a 36 pts first season in the NHL. They got fooled but it happens.

There's no excuse for Matthews and Nylander though. Dubas not only did a piss poor job for the Leafs but it's going to hurt everyone else.

If you're gonna tell me the worst contracts on the Leafs are the two best players (not including Marner) then I'm gonna tell you to put down the glue bag.

We always get in this mode of how one player supposedly messes up the RFA market, way back when it was the Sakic offer sheet, or Kariya, or Richards. Truth of the matter is, he's worth it as he's the best player the Leafs have had in at least a generation, if not more, and will be the primary reason they end up winning a Cup. Signing those veteran contracts didn't kill their cap, but I'd argue it didn't do much as both players were mediocre (and in some instances outright bad) this season. And what's more, Babs in his usual fashion way, way overused both players, because that's just the way he is.

And f*** context. They didn't need to sign Zaitsev to that ridiculous contract after one season. They could've done a lesser deal (but probably had to cough up a little more AAV) but that deal is a total albatross now. That was a dumb, impetuous move by Lou, who is by no means perfect. And FTR, neither is Dubas, but I certainly wouldn't characterize his first effin' season as "piss-poor."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Matthews is a franchise center and had proven that prior to signing his new deal... those players can really demand what they want. If MacK had broken out prior to his deal, he would have been able to do the same. That is just a matter of how the business works. Nylander was a no-win situation... damned if he signed him, damned if he traded him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I take great pleasure in the fact that Brayden McNabb got absolutely smoked a bunch of times in last night's game, including the OT series winner.
Oh man, I was loving what happened to him yesterday. Seeing him get walked in OT and then pound his fist into the glass as Goodrow scored was beautiful.

That guy can go **** himself. Always out there trying to injure players.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
On another topic, am I the only one that doesn't believe Mike Babcock is really that good of a coach?

He's made it past the 1st round in 7 of his 16 seasons, and past the 2nd round just 4 times. Granted, that is more than a lot of coaches but for a guy that is continuously hyped as the best coach on the planet, I really disagree with that.

His minutes management yesterday was painful to watch. There is absolutely no reason why your best player in Auston Matthews, the guy leading the series in goals, shouldn't have played anywhere from 23-25 minutes. Dude didn't even touch 19.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Still no Ferland or Svechnikov for the Canes. Hoping they can pull it off but it's going to be tough, especially if they can't stay out of the box again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matthews is a franchise center and had proven that prior to signing his new deal... those players can really demand what they want. If MacK had broken out prior to his deal, he would have been able to do the same. That is just a matter of how the business works. Nylander was a no-win situation... damned if he signed him, damned if he traded him.

Depends on the return and how Nylander's career goes.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Looks like Cinderella missed the ball.

Happy to see Ovi do well!
IMG_20180608_062920.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow Martinook grabbed Orpik from behind and pulled him down. Hit his head on the ice real hard. Looked like he was out laying on the ice too. Wonder if the concussion spotters saw that? Could be real dangerous if he takes more hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad