2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He honestly should get suspended for that. Marchand obviously didn't hurt the guy and it was a pretty weak, glove to helmet punch. It would have been way worse if he put any force into it, but sneaking up behind a player on his knees, punching him in the back of the head and then running away like a coward is unacceptable. What a disgusting rat. Makes me sick to watch him play. Because it was such a weak punch, it should probably only be a game, but given his history if the league just kicked him out for the playoffs that'd be fine by me too.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He honestly should get suspended for that. Marchand obviously didn't hurt the guy and it was a pretty weak, glove to helmet punch. It would have been way worse if he put any force into it, but sneaking up behind a player on his knees, punching him in the back of the head and then running away like a coward is unacceptable. What a disgusting rat. Makes me sick to watch him play. Because it was such a weak punch, it should probably only be a game, but given his history if the league just kicked him out for the playoffs that'd be fine by me too.

Given his history, he should get 10 games. I know you can't because the way the rules are written, but I'd be fine with the league making an example of him. And before you say it's because he's not a Wing... I wanted Nyquist to get like 20 games for his high stick to Spurgeon. There is no place for chicken-**** cheapshots in the league. Bertuzzi should have gotten a good deal more than he got for cheapshotting Moore way back when.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Given his history, he should get 10 games. I know you can't because the way the rules are written, but I'd be fine with the league making an example of him. And before you say it's because he's not a Wing... I wanted Nyquist to get like 20 games for his high stick to Spurgeon. There is no place for chicken-**** cheapshots in the league. Bertuzzi should have gotten a good deal more than he got for cheapshotting Moore way back when.
The NHLPA would hate my guts if I were in charge of disciplinary action. I'd make a list of all infractions that were both suspendable and classified as inherently dirty. And the MINIMUM punishments for anything on the list would be:

1st time offense: 1 week
2nd time: 1 month
3rd time: 1 year
4th time: permanent ban

Sometimes stuff happens with a player turning at the last second before getting hit, or a stick coming up and unintentionally catching a guy. But there's zero reason to continue to allow certain premeditated things in the game.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Marchand is pond scum. I love Bergeron and Pastrnak, but I will root against that team as long as he plays there.
So true. Also he doesn't bother me as much as Marchand, but I've also always felt like Chara can get away with murder just because he's so tall, like he can't help it if he hits someone high.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

And just for reference, rabbit punches are illegal in boxing and UFC - two sports where beating someone to submission with gloved hands is the goal. Wearing a glove doesn't make it less dangerous or less scummy. It just means he's less likely to hurt his own hand.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Which is why they should now start being able to get into "lose 20 games, lose 3-4M in salary, etc." Marchand is an absolute piece of ****ing trash and the milquetoast suspensions that the league can give him does not force him to reflect on what he's doing and adjust how he acts on the ice. You don't have to be a cheapshot artist to be a pest. Pat Verbeek was probably the greatest pest of all time... and if Marchand could simply not be a cheapshotting dick, he'd be up there too. Do stuff like step on Atkinson's stick. It's borderline illegal in the league, but it's not dangerous. Rabbit punching a dude is dangerous.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
how the hell is this guy not getting suspended for 10+ games at this point?

Also this is what I love about NHL discipline. Intent to injure a player? Ehhhhhhh. Give him another dozen chances to clean it up.

Make a crass joke to the media? INDEFINITE SUSPENSION.

h121421A.jpg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Good question.

In the thread on the Stanley Cup forum there's the usual lamenting about how the sport has gone soft if people want suspensions for this sort of thing. The league has gone soft, but in a different way. I grew up watching the Dead Wings. If Marchand had done that to a Wings player Probert would have destroyed him. And I don't just mean in a "square off drop the gloves" fight. He would've gone through whatever linesman or teammates were going to protect the Rat. If he felt like he didn't extract his pound of flesh, then Probert might do something like run the goalie next time he goes out to play the puck, creating an all out line brawl and more opportunities for justice.

But that's not how the NHL operates anymore so we're in this middle ground where there's enough old school guys in the front office who look at Marchand's cheapshot as playoff hockey or gamesmanship, but at the same time the rules have evolved enough to protect him from a proper beatdown. The league doesn't punish him and there's no way for players to really punish him so rats like Marchand thrive.

What other legitimate sport hands out zero punishment when one of its players approaches an opponent from behind and punches them in the back of his head while he's down on his knees, after the whistle, near the end of the game, especially when he waited until the refs weren't looking?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Because he's a 100+ point player. Same reason Kucherov got off so lightly for intentionally damaging a player's brain a few weeks ago. If he was still 50-60pt Marchand, no doubt he'd be scrutinized a whole lot more by the league every time one of these situations pop up. But he's a superstar skill-wise, and his antics bring a lot of media attention and gets people talking, therefore he plays.

Reactions: Winger98

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Doesn't bode well for his team that he's gone back to his dirty cheap shotting ways. It's sad, because for a while it looked like he cleaned up his act and concentrated more on showing off his considerable hockey skills instead.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
And just for reference, rabbit punches are illegal in boxing and UFC - two sports where beating someone to submission with gloved hands is the goal. Wearing a glove doesn't make it less dangerous or less scummy. It just means he's less likely to hurt his own hand.

LOL all these extreme reactions are just too much. It’s not a big deal, you all need to calm down... pull the brakes on the virtue signaling train. It wasn’t dangerous because he didn’t hit him hard...

No... Marchand doesn’t deserve to get a severe spinal injury like Moore...

If it happened to Larkin I would be upset.. because Larkin is on my team. I don’t have the same attachment to the player that Marchand sucker punched so it doesn’t really both me..

At least Marchand plays with some attitude and moxy.. show me some more hate and passion out there.. that’s good, entertaining hockey!!

The guy might have deserved it for all we know..

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
LOL all these extreme reactions are just too much. It’s not a big deal, you all need to calm down... pull the brakes on the virtue signaling train. It wasn’t dangerous because he didn’t hit him hard...

No... Marchand doesn’t deserve to get a severe spinal injury like Moore...

If it happened to Larkin I would be upset.. because Larkin is on my team. I don’t have the same attachment to the player that Marchand sucker punched so it doesn’t really both me..

At least Marchand plays with some attitude and moxy.. show me some more hate and passion out there.. that’s good, entertaining hockey!!

The guy might have deserved it for all we know..

It’s dirty ****ing play. That’s not attitude and moxie. That’s not passion. That’s Marchand being a damn punk. Moxie is what Pat Verbeek did. Moxie is what Tyler Bertuzzi does (when he isn’t spearing a player on the bench). Moxie is what the Grind Line had. Not a rat who does after the whistle crap and runs away.

And no player deserves a cheap shot to the back of the head.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
One thing that makes Marchand so objectionable is that most of his scumbaggery is calculated. Its not heat of the moment or misjudged hits. Its in his own time, after the whistle or when the refs aren't looking or when there's a hit that he makes look accidental while sticking his knee out or raising his elbow. If it was just the wind up merchant stuff he does, everyone would hate him, but other players would respect his professionalism. But he also drops in the odd intent to injure.

As Lazlo Hollyfeld said, the rules as they stand provide the perfect gray area for him to hide in. If this was the 80s he'd have had seven bells beaten out of him, and his coaches would make him stop doing it because they need him as a skill player. While I don't advocate going back to that era, the NHL's utter cowardice when it comes to disciplining top players who cross the line is well noted. Because the NHL is a business rather than a purely sporting enterprise, and the lesser players are just there to make up their corporate numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad