2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The female color commentator in the Stars Blues game is almost as bad as Pierre.
She doesn't elaborate on her analysis at all and it catches the play by play guy off guard so there's so many awkward silences. For example: "That was a great shot block by Polock"... then 5 full seconds of silence.

Doesn't help that her delivery is super choppy.

Reactions: avssuc

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, she was not great. I don't know why they'd just throw her out there in the playoffs though. Has she done commentating before?

Also, I'm generally not a big fan of 3 person commentating teams, which NBC always wants to do. Some of the MLB games do it too. I'd rather they just stuck with 1 play-by-play and 1 color commentator.

Reactions: Winger98 and NickH8

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Her commentating on games, seems like they just want to say, "hey look we have a female in the broadcast booth!" I have no problem with women broadcasters, provided they are good at the job, and so far, the few there are, don't seem to be very good at all. Whoever this new one is, is not good at all, don't know her name, and Cassie Campbell sounds so generic or default when making calls.

Reactions: NickH8

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Good question.

In the thread on the Stanley Cup forum there's the usual lamenting about how the sport has gone soft if people want suspensions for this sort of thing. The league has gone soft, but in a different way. I grew up watching the Dead Wings. If Marchand had done that to a Wings player Probert would have destroyed him. And I don't just mean in a "square off drop the gloves" fight. He would've gone through whatever linesman or teammates were going to protect the Rat. If he felt like he didn't extract his pound of flesh, then Probert might do something like run the goalie next time he goes out to play the puck, creating an all out line brawl and more opportunities for justice.

But that's not how the NHL operates anymore so we're in this middle ground where there's enough old school guys in the front office who look at Marchand's cheapshot as playoff hockey or gamesmanship, but at the same time the rules have evolved enough to protect him from a proper beatdown. The league doesn't punish him and there's no way for players to really punish him so rats like Marchand thrive.

What other legitimate sport hands out zero punishment when one of its players approaches an opponent from behind and punches them in the back of his head while he's down on his knees, after the whistle, near the end of the game, especially when he waited until the refs weren't looking?

I would be very happy if a CBJ player beat on Marchand some in retaliation. Marchand can pull that kind of think, but there should be consequences from the opposing team. That’s good hockey to me.

Reactions: Realgud

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zuccarello seems to fit like a glove in Dallas, I'm impressed. I remember in his Dallas debut he had like three points but then got injured for like a month. Glad to see he's healthy for the playoffs.

Reactions: 14ari13 and Realgud

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Her commentating on games, seems like they just want to say, "hey look we have a female in the broadcast booth!" I have no problem with women broadcasters, provided they are good at the job, and so far, the few there are, don't seem to be very good at all. Whoever this new one is, is not good at all, don't know her name, and Cassie Campbell sounds so generic or default when making calls.

at least I don't hate her (yet) like I do the rest of the NBC announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad