Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel like the starting pitchers are punting April to be fresh for down the stretch

They should have planned accordingly if this is what they wanted to do. Could have thrown a minor league deal at Edwin Jackson or James Shields to soak up innings early on. Could have even gone with a 6 man rotation for a couple months. What they are doing currently is brutal on the bullpen (who have shockingly done their jobs for the most part).

I think they’re fine with running a few of these bullpen pieces into the ground early on in the year knowing they have guys like Hernandez/Lakins/Shawaryn/Houck/Feltman all possibly vying for bullpen roles late in the year but still.....I don’t like what they’re doing
Colten Brewer's arm will fall off by June.

Reactions: CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sale went six against the A's last week, that said he's far from right. That's a pretty lousy Jays' lineup that knocked him around yesterday.

The tweet was from before the 4/2 start where he pitched 6. Scary stuff though, given he's lost a lot of velocity off his fastball...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The tweet was from before the 4/2 start where he pitched 6. Scary stuff though, given he's lost a lot of velocity off his fastball...

He was up to 95 early in the game yesterday. His velo charts are usually like this at the beginning of the year.

I don’t think it’s permanent but if it is he’s gonna have to learn to pitch like Price. He’s been throwing his changeup more than usual so maybe it is permanent and he knows. Or he’s just saving his arm per usual. Really is a Tough call since he had the arm problems

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Won't be worried about Sale unless he still looks like this in mid-May.

My concern will Sale so far, has been his breaking stuff. Hasn't been great.

People need to understand that guys cannot just go out and throw 95+ every start, every year, for 200 innings. It adds up eventually.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Prediction- Sale comes around and pitches like we expect

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Colten Brewer's arm will fall off by June.

I hope not, I like him. Needs to throw more strikes but the stuff is there. At this rate though you may not be wrong.

I love what they’re doing with Barnes and Brasier though. It’s exactly what I wanted. Use Barnes for the highest leverage spots and if that means the 9th is open then you use Brasier

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He was up to 95 early in the game yesterday. His velo charts are usually like this at the beginning of the year.

I don’t think it’s permanent but if it is he’s gonna have to learn to pitch like Price. He’s been throwing his changeup more than usual so maybe it is permanent and he knows. Or he’s just saving his arm per usual. Really is a Tough call since he had the arm problems

I'm not overly worried either. I know they changed the pitching program last year and he wasn't a big fan of it. I've chalked the slower speeds in the early season to be part of that, since he intimated he didn't feel especially ready to start the year last season.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I hope not, I like him. Needs to throw more strikes but the stuff is there. At this rate though you may not be wrong.

I love what they’re doing with Barnes and Brasier though. It’s exactly what I wanted. Use Barnes for the highest leverage spots and if that means the 9th is open then you use Brasier
Yes to both of these.

Brewer with the right people around him could be a useful piece. His breaking stuff is nasty, and has a plus fastball as well. Command was his issue in limited time in San Diego last year, and is still an issue now. Oddly enough, it's his FB command that is the problem, not his breaking stuff, which does bode well for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well I mean he had shoulder issues around that date Keefe targeted so it’s pretty obvious why they didn’t have him go 6 last year when they were a mile ahead when he was returning

Between that and having pretty close to no spring training this year its makes a lot of sense. They are easing them into things because of the late season workloads. So I think being haunted by rich keefe tweet is a little dramatic, especially when he was pretty good last time out. That’s all

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sox have a 35-15 streak in them once May hits

So kind of like 2011 when they had huge expectations, started 0-6, then from June through August they were absolutely untouchable and were winning at like a 110-game pace.

I repressed anything that happened after that.

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Well I mean he had shoulder issues around that date Keefe targeted so it’s pretty obvious why they didn’t have him go 6 last year when they were a mile ahead when he was returning

Between that and having pretty close to no spring training this year its makes a lot of sense. They are easing them into things because of the late season workloads. So I think being haunted by rich keefe tweet is a little dramatic, especially when he was pretty good last time out. That’s all

Cool. Him having shoulder issues last year and a history of being much worse later in the season doesn't concern you. It does worry me.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
But I guess I'll say it again because it bears repeating

They'll be fine. If by May, Porcello/Eovaldi/Price are all still giving up 5 runs a start, then something's majorly wrong. Even if all three of them are just average and put up a high-3s/low-4s ERA, that's enough for now. I think they just need to settle in, and with this offense, that should be enough to keep winning at a playoff pace.

Reactions: dabid

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cool. Him having shoulder issues last year and a history of being much worse later in the season doesn't concern you. It does worry me.

I feel like what you are seeing now is being done in an effort to prevent that late season fade

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I feel like what you are seeing now is being done in an effort to prevent that late season fade

If he's not able to pitch effectively he shouldn't be pitching.

If this is something that needs to be done so he can pitch well in September and October they shouldn't have extended him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he's not able to pitch effectively he shouldn't be pitching.

If this is something that needs to be done so he can pitch well in September and October they shouldn't have extended him.

Again, the big arms all had a high-leverage workload late into the year last year. That’s why they are all being eased back into things. It’s the same thing with eovaldi and price. They are going to count on them down the stretch again and they didn’t really have them waste too many bullets in March and it looks like they aren’t letting them waste too many bullets now. Even in Sale’s good outing he had only thrown 84 pitches through 6.

I think they see how hard it is to maintain success deep into the year in back to back seasons. Those high stress innings in October take a toll on arms. It’s why in hindsight I would’ve liked to see them sign a guy like Edwin Jackson for cheap to soak up innings early on in the season. If they wanted to ease them in I think a 6 man rotation for half the year would’ve been the way to do it. That’s just me MMQBing tho

I think it’s pretty clear their plan was not a good one. I expect them to be fine in the long run but it’s like they weren’t ready for the season at all. The play is sloppy and the fundamentals aren’t really there right now

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think they see how hard it is to maintain success deep into the year in back to back seasons. Those high stress innings in October take a toll on arms. It’s why in hindsight I would’ve liked to see them sign a guy like Edwin Jackson for cheap to soak up innings early on in the season. If they wanted to ease them in I think a 6 man rotation for half the year would’ve been the way to do it.

I was calling for this very thing last season. I think any slim (ok.....anorexic) chances of that happening were dashed when Wright got busted for PEDs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wright Would have honestly been perfect for that role, it’s a damn shame

The raise honestly have everything figured out

Edit: rays … Got a love the microphone function

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Some context would be nice, such as how many tickets sold ahead of opener last year. Not sure what they get for a walk up crowd. But ya, potential to get real ugly down there. Why support a local business who is abandoning you...I get it.

Are there actually MLB teams who don't have all their games televised? Happy to be in a one team city and not like Chicago, New York, LA.

I can't even name who the best player is on the Orioles. In fact it's a struggle to name any player at all. Off the top of my head, I know Mancini and Davis.

Agree with Lou. And that's not to slight the Pats. But today should definitely be about the Sox. Honor the Pats a different day. Different story if the Sox were not coming off a championship.
they should move some games to Worcester or open the lower deck at fenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad