Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Wouldn't mind as much if they were getting spanked by a good team, but the Blue Jays (not to mention Oakland and Arizona)? In the immortal words of Eck: "Yuck"

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Two more of these and Sale will be Shutdown

Still surprised based on his age and injury history they didn’t wait till All Star break to sign him

Love the guy but right now this is bad

Reactions: Seidenbergy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Manny in the booth is the only good thing about today

And even that was a very quick 1-2-3 inning.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm mind boggled they gave him this contract without knowing how he'd look coming off last season.
They love the player
They love the team
They love 2018

Love makes you do crazy things (not me but I’ve read stories)

It’s not us - radio, TV, people I work with, neighbors, friends - all said same thing. Why not wait till you see him pitch a few months

Hopefully he will get it going

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm smelling a comeback..

I'll be that loon yelling at my radio on the Pike so don't mind me haha

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Good amount of empty seats, looks like a lot of people took off after a few innings

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Good amount of empty seats, looks like a lot of people took off after a few innings

Crappy game + 35 degree "real feel" temp + mist/drizzle will do that. I have a feeling half the crowd was there for the pre-game ceremony and not the game itself.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Ugg you knew they'd get more runs here in the ninth just was a question of how many.

Can we even make a trade where would he play we are pretty much full at all spots other than catcher I guess we can get someone to play 1B/DH with Moreland and Price.

How about Rusney Castillo replacing JBJ? How big a leash does his postseason get him .171 is ugly. I don't care what his early season AAA stats are he hit .319 last year in AAA and deserves a chance if Benny and JBJ keep this up.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
why not bunt?
I was going back and forth on that one. I'm almost never a proponent of giving away outs, but with the tying run on first and Benny/Mookie due up, I was thinking about it.

Swihart was batting like 6/16 though coming into the AB, and Giles couldn't find the strike zone to save his life, so I'm okay with letting them go for the hit.

I'm more upset with Benny and Mookie for swinging at junk when Giles could've walked in the tying and winning runs if they had some patience.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ugg you knew they'd get more runs here in the ninth just was a question of how many.

Can we even make a trade where would he play we are pretty much full at all spots other than catcher I guess we can get someone to play 1B/DH with Moreland and Price.

How about Rusney Castillo replacing JBJ? How big a leash does his postseason get him .171 is ugly. I don't care what his early season AAA stats are he hit .319 last year in AAA and deserves a chance if Benny and JBJ keep this up.

Firm 0% chance that happens

He costs more than both of them combined and they would have to apply him to the luxury tax. And he’s also playing worse than both of them at the triple A Level

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Firm 0% chance that happens

He costs more than both of them combined and they would have to apply him to the luxury tax. And he’s also playing worse than both of them at the triple A Level

Hes hit .314 and .319 the last 2 years and has had all of 12 ABs this year those 2 have had a lot more. Don't think either would be sent down of course just have some competition on the roster.

But good call on the luxury tax angle.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
To be honest, the team has just been an enigma so far.

Starting pitching has been awful, but they've gotten some good performances lately. Hitting has been good, but has gotten cold at times.

It's just that when they're hitting well and scoring runs, the pitching has collapsed. When they get good performances, the offense goes cold. They're losing 10-8 games and 1-0 games. But their pythag is right as it should be, so I don't know.

Thusfar the biggest offender is the starting rotation, by far. I'll give them a month or so to settle in. Sale looks possibly hurt, but there's no excuse for Eovaldi, Porcello, and Price not to get their shit together eventually. E-Rod is what he is.

Bottom of the order has looked underwhelming so far. If Pedroia can actually stay on the field and give them a half-decent OBP, it'd make a big difference. But JBJ/Vazquez are question marks. I don't see Rusney Castillo replacing Jackie, that makes no sense.

Biggest question mark for Cora is the catcher position. Swihart's been on a tear, but is a defensive liability. Vazquez is slightly above-average defensively and, aside from a career year in 2017, has never been a good hitter. The complicating factor in all of this is the fact that Sandy Leon was the best game-caller of the bunch, and he extensively worked with Sale and Porcello. If the starting pitching remains as bad as it's been, I wonder if they call him up and make a change.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Teams just not paying attention right now. That may have been the worst game I've seen in my 30ish years of watching games.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t think swihart is a defensive liability myself. He’s got elite pop/transfer times and a rocket of an arm. He’s pretty good about blocking balls. Framing could use work but that’s only gonna get better if he gets reps. Game calling needs work but so does Vazquez.

I honestly think Vazquez is a really overrated defensive catcher. I think there were many games last year his game calling was horrible (particularly with Rodriguez). He had a pretty good playoff run but I want swihart getting a 70-30 split

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don’t think swihart is a defensive liability myself. He’s got elite pop/transfer times and a rocket of an arm. He’s pretty good about blocking balls. Framing could use work but that’s only gonna get better if he gets reps. Game calling needs work but so does Vazquez.

I honestly think Vazquez is a really overrated defensive catcher. I think there were many games last year his game calling was horrible (particularly with Rodriguez). He had a pretty good playoff run but I want swihart getting a 70-30 split
I said it all playoffs last year. Vasquez is a TERRIBLE game caller.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I feel like the starting pitchers are punting April to be fresh for down the stretch

They should have planned accordingly if this is what they wanted to do. Could have thrown a minor league deal at Edwin Jackson or James Shields to soak up innings early on. Could have even gone with a 6 man rotation for a couple months. What they are doing currently is brutal on the bullpen (who have shockingly done their jobs for the most part).

I think they’re fine with running a few of these bullpen pieces into the ground early on in the year knowing they have guys like Hernandez/Lakins/Shawaryn/Houck/Feltman all possibly vying for bullpen roles late in the year but still.....I don’t like what they’re doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad