Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
All long term pitcher contracts are risky but that’s about what I was hoping the Sox would give him. Glad they got the player, glad they avoided 6/7 years

Reactions: Alicat

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Chris Sale, Red Sox said to agree to five-year extension - The Boston Globe

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Star lefthander Chris Sale and the Red Sox have reached an agreement on a five-year contract extension.
The deal, which is pending a physical, will keep Sale in Boston through the 2024 season and is worth about $145 million.
In two seasons in Boston, Sale has been the most dominant starting pitcher in baseball. In 59 starts, he is 29-12 with a 2.56 ERA, 13.2 strikeouts per nine innings, and 1.9 walks per nine innings. He has been the American League’s starting pitcher in the All-Star Game in both seasons.

Reactions: BMC

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
MLB suspended Sox prospect Chase Shugart 50 games for using " drugs of abuse ".

from espn.com:

Major League Baseball announced a trio of minor league suspensions on Friday, and a pair of the players had Red Sox ties.

Right-handed pitcher Chase Shugart was among those banned for using drugs of abuse. His 50-game punishment will delay the start of his first full professional season. Shugart was drafted out of Texas in the 12th round last year and signed for a reported $125,000 bonus. The 22-year-old right-hander was 0-1 with a 1.13 ERA in four starts last season in the Gulf Coast and New York-Penn leagues.

Seattle outfielder Eric Filia received a 100-game ban, and Kansas City pitcher Jon Perrin was suspended for 50 games. Filia was briefly in Boston’s system after being received in exchange for left-handed pitcher Roenis Elias. Filia ultimately failed his physical with the Red Sox and was returned to the Mariners.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Just realized that Kimbrel is no longer the closer for the Sox. Who do they have closing games this year? Haven't followed this spring training.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
MLB suspended Sox prospect Chase Shugart 50 games for using " drugs of abuse ".

from espn.com:

Major League Baseball announced a trio of minor league suspensions on Friday, and a pair of the players had Red Sox ties.

Right-handed pitcher Chase Shugart was among those banned for using drugs of abuse. His 50-game punishment will delay the start of his first full professional season. Shugart was drafted out of Texas in the 12th round last year and signed for a reported $125,000 bonus. The 22-year-old right-hander was 0-1 with a 1.13 ERA in four starts last season in the Gulf Coast and New York-Penn leagues.

Seattle outfielder Eric Filia received a 100-game ban, and Kansas City pitcher Jon Perrin was suspended for 50 games. Filia was briefly in Boston’s system after being received in exchange for left-handed pitcher Roenis Elias. Filia ultimately failed his physical with the Red Sox and was returned to the Mariners.
So not PED’s?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
not PED’s

In Filia’s case it is weed. Dude just really likes weed more than baseball. Not financially the best move but to each their own

Eric Filia suspended 50 games for positive test, will miss the beginning of the 2018 season

In almost every case like this it’s weed or Adderall. You’re usually not gonna pop for cocaine unless you did it right before your drug test (and most milb players don’t get paid enough to afford cocaine anyway). It’s not gonna be heroin in this case because it’s a 2nd offense and they’d be shipping them off to rehab after 1 offense.

Once they get to the majors they can pretty much do whatever they want outside of PED’s and amphetamines. It’s why you have Chris Perez getting arrested for ordering illegal quantities of weed under his dogs name Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez, wife charged with misdemeanor drug abuse

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also Tim Collins just got cut. Local kid. Racks up K’s. Would like the Sox to throw him against the wall and see if he sticks. Really only got Poyner and Johnson as lefties

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like they are going with a closer by committee type thing.

I'd say Barnes is the guy right now though.
This will be failure by committee by May 1st and we'll be scrambling to find a closer half as good as Kimbrel.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This will be failure by committee by May 1st and we'll be scrambling to find a closer half as good as Kimbrel.
Closers/saves are overrated IMO.

I'm not going to put the effort into looking it up, but I can almost guarantee you Barnes/Braiser faced tougher competition and situations last season than Kimbrel did.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
not PED’s

In Filia’s case it is weed. Dude just really likes weed more than baseball. Not financially the best move but to each their own

Eric Filia suspended 50 games for positive test, will miss the beginning of the 2018 season

In almost every case like this it’s weed or Adderall. You’re usually not gonna pop for cocaine unless you did it right before your drug test (and most milb players don’t get paid enough to afford cocaine anyway). It’s not gonna be heroin in this case because it’s a 2nd offense and they’d be shipping them off to rehab after 1 offense.

Once they get to the majors they can pretty much do whatever they want outside of PED’s and amphetamines. It’s why you have Chris Perez getting arrested for ordering illegal quantities of weed under his dogs name Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez, wife charged with misdemeanor drug abuse
Did they say what Chase tested positive for?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Closers/saves are overrated IMO.

I'm not going to put the effort into looking it up, but I can almost guarantee you Barnes/Braiser faced tougher competition and situations last season than Kimbrel did.
Ok. I'll be here to remind you of this when our suspect bullpen blows lead after lead. It's no remotely excusable that the pen went ignored all off-season. We'll see.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
not PED’s

What a loser. There's not much of a future for someone with so little self control.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ok. I'll be here to remind you of this when our suspect bullpen blows lead after lead. It's no remotely excusable that the pen went ignored all off-season. We'll see.

Ignored? I wouldn't say they ignored it.

They didn't re-sign a closer who had insane demands, and is STILL a free agent, most likely because of it.

And they lost Kelly, who let's face it, was the epitome of Jeckyll and Hyde here.

The rest of that pen is the same, and they added a few interesting arms, mainly Colton Brewer.

There's always guys who come out of nowhere every year. It's why throwing tons of money at relievers is typically a dumb decision.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm pretty sure he saved like 45 games. I guess it was no help? :laugh:
Again, the actual "SAVE" is one of the most useless stats in the entire game.

Like I said a few posts ago, I can almost guarantee you that the Barnes/Braiser combo faced tougher hitters and tougher situations than Kimbrel did last year. Game is typically not won/lost in the 9th.

That's not to say Kimbrel didn't have to nail down some one run games facing the meat of the order, because he absolutely did.

But the 7th and 8th inning guys are typically far more important, and indicitive of a teams success, than the closer.

Reactions: sarge88

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Again, the actual "SAVE" is one of the most useless stats in the entire game.

Like I said a few posts ago, I can almost guarantee you that the Barnes/Braiser combo faced tougher hitters and tougher situations than Kimbrel did last year. Game is typically not won/lost in the 9th.

That's not to say Kimbrel didn't have to nail down some one run games facing the meat of the order, because he absolutely did.

But the 7th and 8th inning guys are typically far more important, and indicitive of a teams success, than the closer.
I'm not arguing with any of this. I just think there had to be someone out there that would have been an effective solution to our suspect pen. To me, it's by far our weakest link. Kimbrel and Kelly are both gone with huge ? replacing them.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm not arguing with any of this. I just think there had to be someone out there that would have been an effective solution to our suspect pen. To me, it's by far our weakest link. Kimbrel and Kelly are both gone with huge ? replacing them.
Kelly is whatever.

He almost didn't make the postseason roster because he's just so damn inconsistent. I'm glad he figured it out, and was freaking lights out in the postseason, but he's a guy they can replace easily with existing pieces such as Thornburg or Hembree.

I think the bigger issue is if they are using one of Barnes/Braiser in the 9th, who is taking the 7th consistently.

Still wouldn't shock me to see Kimbrel back on a 1 year if he's still unsigned in mid-April, even though I don't really want him back.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I am never one to really worry about the bullpen until I see it in action. There are teams with a slew of no names that’ll end the season up near the top of overall BP era and teams with big names that’ll be near the bottom. Almost everyone out of the pen is unreliable in some way outside of some of the best closers and set up guys.

I’d bring Kimbrell back for a year if that’s even on the table but I wasn’t exactly full of confidence when he came out last year either.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad