2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
The poll is going to be a lot closer than you think it will be. Horvat is currently a 60-70 point two-way centre who plays with garbage linemates and is on an absolute steal of a contract.

He's basically the absolute perfect 2C in almost the same mold that Kesler was.

I have a really big issue with people constantly comparing Horvat to Kesler.

They are not really the same type of player at all. Horvat is closer to Linden than Kesler, and that is not a slight at all to any of the 3 players.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Yeah they need a 3rd one though. a 2C caliber center that drives offence but plays third line minutes with the 5th and 6th most talented wingers on the team.

I’d wait and see with Gaudette for the 3c role
I’d look at finding a top line winger and bump Bae to the 2nd line and keep Virtanen/Roussel up and down off the third line until Dahlen arrives and see what he has got
I’d move Sutter at the deadline where he will have the most value
Free agency you make a splash with some defenseman and roll with

******* Hughes
Edler Tanev
Hutton Stetcher/Gudbranson
Juolevi

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I’d wait and see with Gaudette for the 3c role
I’d look at finding a top line winger and bump Bae to the 2nd line and keep Virtanen/Roussel up and down off the third line until Dahlen arrives and see what he has got
I’d move Sutter at the deadline where he will have the most value
Free agency you make a splash with some defenseman and roll with

******* Hughes
Edler Tanev
Hutton Stetcher/Gudbranson
Juolevi

Oh yeah I thought we'd have to find one in the draft. I didn't really think we'd trade for RNH or Brassard. Wouldn't make sense at this point.

Also you spelled Karlsson wrong (8 asterisks, not 7) and Hughes is a LHD not a RHD

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Canucks/Leafs offer

For the record, I DON’T recommend that the Canucks entertain the following offer, but if the Leafs offered us:

To Vancouver: Patrick Marleau (cap dump) + 2019 1st.

To Toronto = ????????

We offer Toronto..........what?
A big can of sardines...I'm not interested in helping that team out at all...cant stand the Leafs..

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah they need a 3rd one though. a 2C caliber center that drives offence but plays third line minutes with the 5th and 6th most talented wingers on the team.

Okay but that's a high-end 3C role, not high-end 2C. Brassard is that guy and earns $3M. RNH and Stastny have $6M and $6.5M cap hits.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I honestly wouldn't consider trading Horvat in any way unless it was massive overpayment like a 1st overall coming back. This kid oozes the leadership and moxy this organization has been missing for the last 15 years.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I honestly wouldn't consider trading Horvat in any way unless it was massive overpayment like a 1st overall coming back. This kid oozes the leadership and moxy this organization has been missing for the last 15 years.

I wouldn’t trade Horvat for a 1st overall period......unless it was a part of a packaged deal for Jack Hughes or Kakko (which would never happen obviously).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I have a really big issue with people constantly comparing Horvat to Kesler.

They are not really the same type of player at all. Horvat is closer to Linden than Kesler, and that is not a slight at all to any of the 3 players.

In terms of styles of play, I’d argue that both Linden and Kesler are your prototypical TWF’s while Horvat is a PWF....like a Jeff Carter/Jason Arnott type.

In terms of leadership attributes, Horvat and Linden are extremely similar......and with all due respect to Kesler, he isn’t in the same league in this regard.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Oh yeah I thought we'd have to find one in the draft. I didn't really think we'd trade for RNH or Brassard. Wouldn't make sense at this point.

Also you spelled Karlsson wrong (8 asterisks, not 7) and Hughes is a LHD not a RHD

ha ha sorry I have trouble with those Swedish spellings, unfortuently I think Karlsson doesn’t step outside San Jose unless it’s a road trip

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It really isn’t, Horvat is great but when’s the last first overall forward that wasn’t better than him?

RNH and Hischier are the only debatable ones aside from the biggest bust ever in Yakupov in the past ~20 years

Nash, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Mackinnon, McDavid and Matthews are clearly ahead.

It’s really not much of a risk based on this analysis.
Good points fair enough! The thing for me is, can J.Hughes play center at the NHL level. That’s my question. For me I see him as a winger.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah can we please wait a little bit before we say that Madden would be a 1st rounder in re-draft. Im extremely happy with the that Madden is progressing but there is a big leap from college to the pros.

Look at your roster. How many current Canucks took "big leap from college" to not only the pros, but straight to the NHL out of the NCAA?

How many NCAA players do they have in the AHL and what are his GP in the AHL compared to his GP in the NHL.

After the list you come up with remember Demko was given the slow cook as a goalie, but could have been there last season.

Where will Hughes go?

Benning seems to put all of his NCAA grads into the lineup as soon as possible. When Madden comes out chances are he will join the rest and don't overlook Lockwood either.

That's the NCAA I am responding to. Stecher, Hutton, Boeser, and Gaudette all in Vancouver on yr 1. Demko there now. Hughes likely in yr 1. Lockwood probably comes out at the end of this year with Hughes. Madden could do likewise but might play another year. Lockwood may the only one to actually be assigned to Utica with the intention of keeping there unless Madden chooses to come out this year and then I would expect him in Utica as well...

Now let's look at all of next year's forward group as of now.
We know Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, and most likely Sutter, Beagle, and Eriksson are not going anywhere. 6 forwards.

Baertschi, Roussel, and Virtanen are all signed for more years, but are definitely not untouchable. 3 more forwards.

Granlund, Motte, Leivo, Goldobin all become RFAs and could be out the door easily.

- I think Leivo gets a contract. 1 more forward
- Goldy may be gone sooner than later.
- Motte is not essential.
- Granlund should be gone, but Green and Benning seem to be attached to him.

Gaudette will be on board. 1 more forward.

Then you have Dahlen and MacEwen.
If Lockwood comes out, he has to be considered.

What if they keep the first 9 I listed? That makes room for only 4 or 5 more.

I keep seeing posts from guys convinced the 'Nucks have to pick up at least one high profile forward, most likely a LW, through free agency. (Has to be signed)

Others are saying use some of the current mix to pick up a better RW than what's there beyond Boeser as well. That would be 11 forwards. (Has to be signed)

Haven't even seen the first round draft selection yet either.

So you have the following from which you COULD find 2 or 3 on the roster:
Gaudette (signed)
Granlund (RFA)
Leivo (RFA)
Motte (RFA)
Goldobin (RFA)
Schaller (signed)
Dahlen (signed)
MacEwen (signed)
Gagner (signed)
Gaunce (RFA)
Lockwood (?)
2019 1st round selection (?).
Ty Madden (? He could come out)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Good points fair enough! The thing for me is, can J.Hughes play center at the NHL level. That’s my question. For me I see him as a winger.
I just can't understand how people can come away from watching him and not think he'll be in the middle. Seem to recall quite a bit of the similar sentiment about Petey too, good players adapt.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I hope Zack MacEwen gets a shot this year. Ideally they should move a guy like granlund out and replace him with MacEwen
I would start with Schaller if your looking to bring up MacEwen. And i agree it would be nice to give him a look if we need a call up on the wings. Big fan of the signing and his size/reach skating skill could add another nice element to our team. I love this highlight package:

I think we just need to be patient.

Utica finally looks like they have a very good top9 and Zach needs to continue eating big ice time and responsibility just like Gaudette for now.

Goldobin needs to come back in and see if he can right his ship first. Schaller is a better press box option and Granlund is cheap depth that has Greens trust and can move around and play special teams like it or not.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Pettersson is at least 6’2. It would be very rare.
What would be rare?

This idea high end skilled prospects who play C can't translate is out dated. Brayden Point was 5'8" 146lbs when he was drafted, he might be the best 2-Way C in the NHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Trade Sutter for Brassard
No thanks.

Sutter is fine holding 3c till Gaudette or Madden are ready. Brassard is almost 3 yrs older and has really dropped off. He looks small at 6'1 and he's become really vanilla without a quality that stands out. He's been a nice 2C for a long time but he will be 32 by next training camp and isn't much of a btm6 utility guy even IMO. Sutter has looked poor but he's still getting his legs and conditioning back.

I understand Brassard is UFA at seasons end and that could free up cash but as it is Sutters contract is tradeable and we have enough this summer to go after a big fish if possible. I would rather draft picks than Brassard as that gives us a shot at a core player cost controlled than a few million for older UFA types in Sutters age range.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah can we please wait a little bit before we say that Madden would be a 1st rounder in re-draft. Im extremely happy with the that Madden is progressing but there is a big leap from college to the pros.
Good post.
He probably would get some consideration though after the last 6 months. 68 isnt that far off 31

Scouts project players on abilities not production. If they didn't there would be a tonne of College and junior aged players who SHOULD have gone higher based on stats.
Basically a PPG game player at these levels just keeps them in the conversation not a player who has jumped levels or other player projections.

Where rubber meets the road is when players productions rise significantly without being bi products of a tremendous line or PP situation and conversely when players fall back in their progressions noticeably. Even after all that untill they play against faster stronger smarter men it has to be taken with a cautious approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad