2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
More defensive defenceman. Yup exactly what we need. Add in useless Reaves’ and you’ve nailed the Dim Jim special here bud. Oof!

Talk about oooof

Collin Miller has been called a lot of.names in his lifetime....defensive defenceman is not one of them

Maybe you're confusing Miller w sbisa

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
What about targeting Colin Miller out of Vegas in the summer? He was scratched a couple times in February and there were some rumours about him at the deadline.

Vegas has a cap situation as well in the summer (about 10 million in cap space with the cap going up 3 million) and Stone is apparently going to sign for 9.5 million of that. They still have to re-sign Karlsson and fill out a quarter of the roster. Miller makes just under 4 million per year and he might be relatively cheap to acquire given the situation. It would also open the door to trade Tanev for a prospect (Foote would be amazing and there definitely is a fit there with Tampa).

Miller + Reaves for a pick: this gives Vegas over 6.5 million in additional cap space to do what they need to do.

Another option could be to try and pry Tuch out of there as well. His extension (4.75 x 7) kicks in next year and he's behind Stone and Marchessault on the right side. Maybe offer Leivo as a cheap replacement and even out the value from there?

Don't mind the idea of adding Miller, though as others have noted he has some warts. I like Reaves a lot as a 12th/13th forward, too.

Can't imagine Vegas will move on from Tuch though, who has size, speed, and the best offensive numbers on the team. Marchessault plays left wing, not right. Reilly Smith looks like the odd guy out there but I wouldn't take that contract on.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Don't mind the idea of adding Miller, though as others have noted he has some warts. I like Reaves a lot as a 12th/13th forward, too.

Can't imagine Vegas will move on from Tuch though, who has size, speed, and the best offensive numbers on the team. Marchessault plays left wing, not right. Reilly Smith looks like the odd guy out there but I wouldn't take that contract on.

The idea behind Miller is he would come relatively cheap due to Vegas' cap situation. Benning said he wants to change up our defense and a trade like that would contribute to that. If Miller doesn't work out in Vancouver, there would still be some positive takeaways: Allows Tanev to be traded for futures, price was dirt cheap and Miller would still be tradeable at any point. Seems like a low risk scenario to me unless he completely falls off a cliff.

I wouldn't mind Reaves as a spare forward either. He's one of the few guys in the league who actually prevents things from happening instead of reacting to them because he's pretty well feared around the league. We have the cap space to stomach his contract (unless we land a big name UFA, which is pretty unlikely) and worst case we waive him.

Tuch was a reach, but it would be worth the phone call.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The idea behind Miller is he would come relatively cheap due to Vegas' cap situation. Benning said he wants to change up our defense and a trade like that would contribute to that. If Miller doesn't work out in Vancouver, there would still be some positive takeaways: Allows Tanev to be traded for futures, price was dirt cheap and Miller would still be tradeable at any point. Seems like a low risk scenario to me unless he completely falls off a cliff.

I wouldn't mind Reaves as a spare forward either. He's one of the few guys in the league who actually prevents things from happening instead of reacting to them because he's pretty well feared around the league. We have the cap space to stomach his contract (unless we land a big name UFA, which is pretty unlikely) and worst case we waive him.

Tuch was a reach, but it would be worth the phone call.
Took a look in the “Vegas cap crunch” thread on the main board and seen the first few replies saying 1st + a prospect.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
If Eriksson retires what happens to his contract? Does his cap hit still count against our cap?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If Eriksson retires what happens to his contract? Does his cap hit still count against our cap?

Contract would go bye-bye and the team would have no cap hit.

Retirements before the end of contracts are rare. Usually the player only bails if there is a plausible medical reason that allows him to continue to be paid and the team to stash him on Long Term Injured Reserve.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Alex Tuch is signed to a sweetheart deal.
Is he tho? This will be his second full season in the nhl and he’s signed for 4.5 for 6 or 7 more years after this. Idk if you can honestly say he’s proven even. Just a bit over .5 PPG over his 160 games.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He makes 4-5m a year, his last chance to earn decent money playing hockey and he's fit and can still play. He's not retiring any time soon with that much cash at stake. I know it is the fantasy thread but yeah that fantasy isn't coming true.

Reactions: MS

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Is he tho? This will be his second full season in the nhl and he’s signed for 4.5 for 6 or 7 more years after this. Idk if you can honestly say he’s proven even. Just a bit over .5 PPG over his 160 games.
The idea that an organization is going to sour enough on a player they just signed to a 7 year extension who’s progressing is insane.

Reactions: cookiefest and PM

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The idea that an organization is going to sour enough on a player they just signed to a 7 year extension who’s progressing is insane.
Didn’t they just extend Miller as well? Couldn’t this be used to explain Miller?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Comparing a guy they’re healthy scratching to a guy they took a massive leap of faith with and signed to a 7 year contract is really weird.
Well considering their D core, I’m even surprised this is a subject. Wasn’t he playing as their #3 during the cup run? Also isn’t he one of their like 2 RHD?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I think Colin Miller would be a fantastic add. And he's still in the age range where he'd be useful coming out of the rebuild.

We just don't have the tradeable assets though. Outside of Hughes, very low quality/quantity of prospects. We can't trade the 1st rounder, and we don't have extra picks outside of that. This is onn Benning's management of the team. He has been hesitant to add draft/prospect capital, and as a result, we don't really have the flexibility to make moves like this as they become available.

I anticipate pretty much coming into next season with essentially the same squad + Hughes

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I think Colin Miller would be a fantastic add. And he's still in the age range where he'd be useful coming out of the rebuild.

We just don't have the tradeable assets though. Outside of Hughes, very low quality/quantity of prospects. We can't trade the 1st rounder, and we don't have extra picks outside of that. This is onn Benning's management of the team. He has been hesitant to add draft/prospect capital, and as a result, we don't really have the flexibility to make moves like this as they become available.

I anticipate pretty much coming into next season with essentially the same squad + Hughes

I think Benning wants to add someone in FA for sure. Myers seems like a logical fit (replaces Gudbranson on RD, played in Kelowna, size, winning culture, etc). Adding Hughes makes a difference already, but those two would likely be the most change we could make to our blue line:

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Hutton - Stetcher

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
What winning culture has Myers ever been a part of? One decent season in Winnipeg? I feel like all the bad Buffalo years should cancel that out although I think the whole winning/losing culture stuff is pure nonsense.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What do people think about going after a Sutter replacement? He's incapable of staying healthy for a full season and even though I think he's valuable. We need a healthy centre because Beagle is not a 3rd line centre and Gaudette is not ready yet.

Sutter's contract is up the same year as Pettersson's, so we can fit a guy like Hayes or Boyle financially.

We need to shore up our defence as well. Hughes is coming in next year and our right side is Tanev + Stecher. Stecher isn't a good skill-set match and Tanev probably won't be healthy for parts of the season. We should look to sign someone like Stralman. I'm not letting Edler go either. I'm not confident in Hutton as our #1 LD for 82 games. Edler is still a quality player, he wants to stay in Vancouver desperately, so we have leverage and we should use that to get something between 3-4M.

We lost Del Zotto and Gudbranson on defence, even though they are terrible players we need to replace those NHL bodies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Benning wants to add someone in FA for sure. Myers seems like a logical fit (replaces Gudbranson on RD, played in Kelowna, size, winning culture, etc). Adding Hughes makes a difference already, but those two would likely be the most change we could make to our blue line:

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Hutton - Stetcher

Myers is...not good. The contract he'd garner would look like an anchor as soon as immediately.

I'm honestly fine with rolling in with the same blueline + Hughes. We're not going to be good anyway. Might as well have a tank-worthy defense and stay in the Lafreniere lottery.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad