Red Sox/MLB 2019 Regular Season II - David Ortiz shot in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can you trade players with career ending injurys on contracts like hockey

No idea but they could ultimately outright him. Still have to pay him money but it wouldn’t count against the luxury tax going forward IIRC

He’s our own personal David Wright. It’s a shitty situation

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate it when CHB is right

Now is not the time to mince words: Red Sox stink - The Boston Globe

The Red Sox stink. They lost to the Yankees, 5-3, Wednesday after Ryan Brasier surrendered a grand slam to Brett Gardner on an 0-2 pitch in the seventh inning. The Sox are 6-13 and a whopping eight and a half games out of first place.

I grew up on Hub hardball gloom. I came of age as a baseball fan when the Red Sox annually finished eighth in a 10-team league and flirted with losing 100 games. I learned talk radio at the right hand of Eddie Andelman who perfected the sky-is-falling mindset of Red Sox Nation. I did a Sunday night TV show with Bob Lobel who had a panic button on the set and kept saying, “Why can’t we get players like that?’’ every time an ex-Red Sox did something good for some other team. I wrote “The Curse of the Bambino,’’ my doctoral thesis on Red Sox negativity.

And yet, with all this training, with a lifetime of jokes, chokes, and front office buffooneries, I am having a hard time getting my head around the crazy notion that the 2019 Red Sox might not make the playoffs.

It simply makes no sense to me. How can a healthy team with the fattest payroll in baseball . . . a championship team that won 119 games last year and brought virtually every player back . . . a team that plays in the Tomato Can age of MLB tanking . . . how can this team not be one of ten big leagues teams to make it to the 2019 postseason tournament?

Sorry, I am just not buying. I know we are all tired of hearing about how it’s still early. We’re sick of Alex Cora saying “We’ll be fine.’’ Tired of the stubborn, smarter-than-everybody Sox refusing to admit they failed to prepare properly in Fort Myers, Fla. All that is painfully obvious now.

I’ve seen some of the numbers that indicate that a team can take itself out of contention in April. The Globe’s intrepid Alex Speier points out that during the Wild Card era, only two of 46 teams that started 6-12 went on to make the playoffs.

Swell. But how in the name of Izzy Alcantara can these Red Sox be this bad?

The Sox have yet to win a series. They went 2-6 on the West Coast. They went 3-3 at Fenway against moribund teams from Toronto and Baltimore. They were outscored 16-1 in back-to-back games vs. the Orioles and Yankees Monday and Tuesday. They got swept by a Yankee team with 12 players on the injured list.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That’s fine, he was underpaid for most of his career anyway

What do you mean by fine? I don't want the Sox saddled with that contract. Hopefully he retires rather than try to stick it out the next few years.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
That’s fine, he was underpaid for most of his career anyway

The good news is Chavis has hit dingers 470, 467, and 430+ tonight in the last handful of days. Hopefully he’s taking to 2B, I haven’t seen much of an update on that. He’s been playing 1B, 2B, and 3B. He’s kind of a butcher in the field but so is Nunez so **** it, get the butcher that hits

No one put a gun to his head forcing him to get paid what he did.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What do you mean by fine? I don't want the Sox saddled with that contract. Hopefully he retires rather than try to stick it out the next few years.

It’s fine because he gave his body to the team while making less than market value for years, I’m OK with making a concession on the back end of the deal

Agreed on retirement though, that’s what I want as well

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There's really nothing to do. Making a panic trade to change the roster isn't an option. Firing any of the coaching staff or management a month into a season after a WS would be foolish.

If they don't turn this around...we're just going to have to ride it out for 6 months.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Pedroia is finished. The scary part is I think he has 3 years left on deal after this.

Including this season he has 3 years left. He gets $15 million this season, $13 million in 2020 and $12 million in 2021. At the end of his contract he will have made just over $139 million in career earnings.

Last edited:

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Relax, it's April. There have been a dozen examples of teams starting bad into the season and getting their act together later on. Two good months and they are back and nobody is going to remember this. It's a rough patch that can happen any time. The good thing is the Yanks are also struggling.

At least this puts the 108 / 119 win season into context. Many believed it was an easy feat to repeat.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Relax, it's April. There have been a dozen examples of teams starting bad into the season and getting their act together later on. Two good months and they are back and nobody is going to remember this. It's a rough patch that can happen any time. The good thing is the Yanks are also struggling.

At least this puts the 108 / 119 win season into context. Many believed it was an easy feat to repeat.

It is April but teams that start THIS bad don’t make the playoffs. Something like two teams who have started 6-12 have made the playoffs. Not saying it won’t happen and they have the talent to do it, but this isn’t a normal bad start

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They can’t seem to get everything to click on the same night. If the pitching is there, the bats aren’t. If the bats are there then the pitching gets shelled. If they somehow manage to hold things together into the later innings the bullpen blows it.

You gotta figure that’s gonna change eventually but it’s been uggggggly

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
They can’t seem to get everything to click on the same night. If the pitching is there, the bats aren’t. If the bats are there then the pitching gets shelled. If they somehow manage to hold things together into the later innings the bullpen blows it.

You gotta figure that’s gonna change eventually but it’s been uggggggly

Meh I don't buy that, their Pythagorean W-L shows the record is right where it's supposed to be. The team ERA is over SIX and have -42 run differential after 19 games. That is atrocious, hitting has been mediocre, but pitching is god awful.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I didn’t say the record should be better given how they’ve played? Like I said, it’s been ugly. I used like 6 g’s

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Including this season he has 3 years left. He gets $15 million this season, $13 million in 2020 and $12 million in 2021. At the end of his contract he will have made just over $139 in career earnings.

Well, if he can't pass a physical the Sox aren't going to be on the hook for any of that. Insurance will pay it off.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
DeGrom going to get an MRI on his elbow

I’m starting to believe more and more that no pitcher in baseball is worth a long term investment. You’re better off using their prime, cheap years up and then selling them off before free agency

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Gee, I wonder if making him throw 200 pitches in an extra inning game in October contributed to that

Or if they even gave him a physical before signing that contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad