Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Those days we really had a shitty minor league development system, if you could call it that. Basically Frank Griffiths was so cheap we wound up farming out our players anywhere that would take them. And when Milford finally did get approval to set up our own farm team we still only had a half team of players under contract. They called them Muckler's Dirty Dozen.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The former GM ya mean? Or related at least its NOT a common last name

No, just a long-ago prospect. No relation. I was trying to be funny by talking about an old prospect when you were asking us to get back to present day. Ha ha.

And I really did think he was going to be a star.

I also thought McGovern would trounce Nixon. You can look that one up.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
No, just a long-ago prospect. No relation. I was trying to be funny by talking about an old prospect when you were asking us to get back to present day. Ha ha.

And I really did think he was going to be a star.

I also thought McGovern would trounce Nixon. You can look that one up.
Wasn't he the son of a famous female skiing or figure skating twin? Old Sherbrooke Beaver I believe.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Wasn't he the son of a famous female skiing or figure skating twin? Old Sherbrooke Beaver I believe.

Good call. According to Wikipedia:
Gillis was born in Bend, Oregon and raised in Montreal, the son of skier Gene Gillis (a member of the American alpine skiing team for the 1948 Winter Olympics), and Rhona Wurtele, a Canadian Olympic skier who competed at the 1948 Winter Olympics.​

Apparently he also got some work as a stuntman in Hollywood after his playing days.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Good call. According to Wikipedia:
Gillis was born in Bend, Oregon and raised in Montreal, the son of skier Gene Gillis (a member of the American alpine skiing team for the 1948 Winter Olympics), and Rhona Wurtele, a Canadian Olympic skier who competed at the 1948 Winter Olympics.​

Apparently he also got some work as a stuntman in Hollywood after his playing days.
O yeah, now I remember

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Manukyan was pointless and +1 in 13:47 of ice-time today in Avangard's 3-2 double overtime playoff loss.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
We traded our 1974 #1 to Montreal at the 1973 draft for the #9 overall pick in ‘73 which we selected Bob Dailey with. Drafted twice in the top 10 in 1973.

Exactly, who can forget passing on Lanny McDonald ,Bob Gainey and Rick Middleton in the 1st round for Dennis Ververgaert and Bob Dailey? Spectacular misses in a 16 team league. Youngsters today complaining about the Juolevi pick have no idea how bad the drafting was here for decades on end.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Exactly, who can forget passing on Lanny McDonald ,Bob Gainey and Rick Middleton in the 1st round for Dennis Ververgaert and Bob Dailey? Spectacular misses in a 16 team league. Youngsters today complaining about the Juolevi pick have no idea how bad the drafting was here for decades on end.

The Jagr miss was the one that got me the most. It was here too. I remember taking Nedved and just shaking my head. When you get a chance to draft elite skill, skating, and compete in a large frame you take that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Dailey was a stud who was the #1 defender on the terrific late-70s Flyer teams. That pick was fine. His career just looks much less impressive than it should in hindsight because of the horrible injury that ended it at age 28.

Ververgaert was lights-out his first 3 years and a better player than McDonald. The scouts identified the right guy ... he just fell off a cliff early while McDonald continued to improve. You wonder how badly the state of the organization at the time ruined players.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Jagr miss was the one that got me the most. It was here too. I remember taking Nedved and just shaking my head. When you get a chance to draft elite skill, skating, and compete in a large frame you take that.

Nedved wasn't a poor pick as he had an excellent WHL season after defecting.

Teams were wary of Jagr and the whole Czech situation still in that draft, despite his being the most skilled guy by far.

Hindsight is 20/20 both Ververgaert and Dailey were good picks for where they went.

drafting in the early 70's was a real crapshoot, for every great pick by an NHL team there were more "poor" ones.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Yes we do know how bad it was.

Back then the data wasnt readily available to everyone. The data that lets you pick like an average NHL GM by following a simple algorithm.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Artyom Manukyan was pointless in 15:15 TOI as Avangard won 1-0 in triple overtime. He had three SOG. Avangard now advances to the KHL finals.

I wonder if coach Hartley's success with Avangard will get him consideration for a spot in the NHL next year. Ottawa?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
drafting in the early 70's was a real crapshoot, for every great pick by an NHL team there were more "poor" ones.

injuries killed careers then at a much higher rate and so did life skills weak spots. plus you could get yourself blackballed pretty easily.

there was not a lot of hand holding.

Reactions: MS

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
End of the Season Prospect list

1. Hughes
2. Tryamkin (Canucks still have his rights)
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

Looking like a thoroughly average list once you graduate Hughes, Petterson and Boeser... 5 years of a non-intentional rebuild and this is all we have to show for it.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

I'm with you until around 10, then I rate some of the guys who've been playing pro a bit higher than guys who have yet to make that big step. But most of the guys after 10 will be lucky to get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs anyway.

That said, I think Woo is a better prospect than Juolevi now.

Reactions: lindgren

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

Good list. I still believe that if Tryamkin ever comes over, the gap between him and third place is pretty wide.

Woo is the guy I could see moving up quite a bit next year, but he's fine there for now.

I'm not sure if you rated Rafferty below Brisebois due to sample size. I've only seen his few Canucks games myself, but I thought he showed more than Brisebois ever has at the NHL level. Nice little addition to the pool, but again, he's good at that spot given the small sample.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

i can quibble but that is fair comment if rated on high ceiling versus actual nhl potential. brisebois and sautner move way up if being a number 6 dman is considered success. juolevi deserves to be higher than 5th except for the two major surgeries.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu
Tryamkin above Woo and Madden. Hilarious. He is 25 this summer and isn’t coming back. He has the value of “future considerations.”

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

1. Hughes
3. Madden
4. DePietro
5. Joulevi
6. McEwen
7. Woo
8. Lockwood
9. Rathbone
10. Brisebois
11. Rafferty
12. Sautner
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
16. Lind
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

1. Hughes (star in the making)
5. Joulevi (despite failing to live up to his draft position, Juolevi is still a good prospect.)
7. Woo (legitimate top 4 NHL upside)
3. Madden (great development year. Needs to continue his development trajectory)
4. DePietro (still concerned about size for NHL. Can't argue his compete and his play at current level).
6. McEwen (Has he topped out or can he give more? If the latter then he has a place in the NHL).
9. Rathbone (Will he be a legitimate offensive D-man in the NHL or just a good AHLer? Time will tell.)
8. Lockwood (tweener. Upside is bottom 6 NHL energy winger)
16. Lind (NHL potential but real possibility he could completely bust within the next two years).
11. Rafferty (NHL potential. Needs a year in the AHL to make upside clearer).
10. Brisebois (depth call-up)
12. Sautner (depth call-up)
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

2. Tryamkin (probably best described as an asset rather than a prospect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad