Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gaunce, Gaudette, and Mackewen should be up in place of Schaller, Granlund, and Motte.

It would improve our bottom 6 immediately.

There are calls on here for MacEwen to get some time with the Canucks. I think the Canucks will bring him for a look some time this year or next, but based on reports from Utica posters on here have doubts that he'll be as effective as most seem to think. I see him as someone who will be able to provide some physicality if he is able to hold his own as a player, but for playing effectiveness it seems that Gaunce, Gaudette, Gagner, Kero and Boucher all have to be rated ahead of him.

Otoh Canucks Army's Cory Hergott seems to rate him very highly.

Reactions: lindgren

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Not making a prediction here....but Woo was drafted in that sweet zone that seems to generate perennial Norris candidates. If I was a GM with early 2nd round picks, I'd only select dmen.
Yeah I've always felt this way about 2nd round Dmen...i'd totally be on board with this type of draft strategy. It won't work most of the time but when it does it pays off. This team is pushing 50 years in the league and had we employed this tactic i'm sure we would have had at least one Norris trophy winner...which would be one more than we've ever had...

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Stop with this ridiculousness. We cannot afford to ruin another young prospect, especially one that fills our biggest need.
If he is good enough keep him around for 9 games. It is very unlikely he is good enough. He is also late birthday in his draft year. If he made it to nhl in 2 years it would be ahead of schedule.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Gaunce, Gaudette and MacEwen are all benefiting from getting offensive ice time in Utica. If/when they take the next step, they will be better players due to this development time.

Gaunce has more than proved he's good in the AHL with his past two seasons. He should be seeing NHL games at this point.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I believe in Gaudette/MacEwen but we have to get off the Gaunce train. His skating will never make him an effective bottom six player.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce, Gaudette and MacEwen are all benefiting from getting offensive ice time in Utica. If/when they take the next step, they will be better players due to this development time.
I agree with respect to Gaudette and MacEwen. I believe Gaunce is pretty much what he will become - maybe a little more upside. He turns 25 in less than 2 months. His point production in Utica is exactly what it was three seasons ago. He just hasn't had an opportunity at the NHL level recently. After an appalling 1g/6a production in his first 96 NHL games, he has 5g/3a in his last 21. He is probably now more of the 10g/15a guy everyone thinks he could be with 15g/15a upside, if he gets the chance (his production has improved but it's a small sample set).
I'm talking strictly offense because that was the context of your comment. His defensive game is NHL quality and he is a better option than Schaller, Granlund, and arguably Sutter (post injury) at this point,

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree with other posters that the Canucks would be bigger, and much tougher to play against with Gaudette, MacEwen and Gaunce in the lineup. Let's be honest. They're better options than Schaller, Granlund and even Sutter. But unfortunately it's a matter of contracts that keeps them in the minors.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I agree with other posters that the Canucks would be bigger, and much tougher to play against with Gaudette, MacEwen and Gaunce in the lineup. Let's be honest. They're better options than Schaller, Granlund and even Sutter. But unfortunately it's a matter of contracts that keeps them in the minors.
I don’t give a f*** about gaunce but the others will be up. Sutter will be traded at the TDL and I imagine Schaller will be waived

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gaunce lol

Without question Granlund is better at deflections has better hands, better shot and is quicker.

Schaller skates a tiny bit better but agree is worse. I thought Schaller would be aggressive and finish checks but he's a joke. He doesn't finish anything

The thing with Gaunce is everytime i've seen him get more ice time he lags. It's all great when you play 10-12min on the 4th line to just come out and barge around and look aggressive and tilt the ice but try doing it with 15-16 min and tougher competition night after night. I can gaurentee you there's a reason he's in the AHL right now not because of some sort of bullshit conspiracy to hold the man down. He's a slug and has cleared waivers at minimum salary

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t give a **** about gaunce but the others will be up. Sutter will be traded at the TDL and I imagine Schaller will be waived

Gaunce sucks. Hes like a Boucher...good in AHL but not good enough to be everyday NHLer. Hes had plenty of chances from different coaches.

Sutter agreed will be traded. However i dont think it will be for this year . He has 1 more yr in his contract so next year is probably when teams will start calling for him. This will allow Gaudette to marinate more too until hes fully ready for the 3C role.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i dont think he sucks. He's just one of those guys that is a half step slow for decent minutes in the top league in the world.

He can still carve out a 4th line career if he continues to get better but i just dont see a top9 forward without some sort of leap in foot sped and at 25 i dont think its gonna happen. Good smart fundamentally sound depth player

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Gaunce sucks. Hes like a Boucher...good in AHL but not good enough to be everyday NHLer. Hes had plenty of chances from different coaches.

I disagree. Gaunce was injured in the beginning of the season. Hence, he looked terribly slow. But it's seems he's taken another step in his development and I think it'd be a mistake to let him go. Using him as a fourth line centre or third line winger can take the heat off Gaudette and allow the team to trade Sutter. Gaunce is a capable pker and is a better centerman than Granlund. It's important to have wingers that are capable of playing centre and pk in the lineup in case your third and fourth line centres go down.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2 more assists for Jett Woo. This guy is not getting enough noise considering how good his D+1 is.

Added offence this year to his old school, punishing, intimidating physical style of play.
Woo and Madden have been lights-out in their draft + 1 seasons. That's the kind of progression you're looking for.

Of course Lind had a great draft + 1 season as well, and has sort of hit the wall in Utica. So the proof will be when both these guys arrive in Utica. But on the plus side, their 'compete level' seems to be off the charts.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If I'm Woo, I'll be spending the whole off season with a skating coach as I see thats the only thing that separates a young D getting called up in D+2 or D+3 seasons. Physicality, offense, RHS, compete, frame. He ticks all the box for us already.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Jan 25

AHL

Utica 2 Rochester 3 (SO)
Kulbakov 48 saves on 50 shots (

Reid Boucher (18) ASST: Tanner Kero (22)
Reid Boucher (19) ASST: Tanner Kero (23)

Shootout:
Jonathan Dahlen - Goal
Adam Gaudette - Goal
Reid Boucher - No Goal
Brendan Gaunce - No Goal
Tom Pyatt - No Goal
Evan McEneny - No Goal
Carter Bancks - No Goal

USHL

Dubuque 3 Madison 2 (OT)
Thiessen 28 saves on 30 shots

NCAA

Northeastern 1 Providence 4
Madden 0 points, -2

Clarkson 3 Harvard 4 (OT)
Rathbone 0 points, +1

OHL

Ottawa 9 Oshawa 6
DiPietro 32 saves on 38 shots

WHL

Moose Jaw 5 Edmonton 2
Woo 1 assist, +2 (selected 2nd star)

S_C

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sat Jan 26

ECHL

Kalamazoo 2 Indy 4

NCAA

Penn State 5 Michigan 2
Hughes 1 assist, -2
Lockwood 1 goal (10th), -1

Providence 3 Northeastern 0
Madden 0 points, -1

St. Lawrence 3 Harvard 7
Rathbone 1 goal (4th), +3

OHL

Oshawa 0 Ottawa 4
DiPietro was the back-up

Niagara 4 Sarnia 3
Brassard 1 assist, -1
Eliot 1 assist, even

WHL

Moose Jaw 3 Medicine Hat 1
Woo 1 assist, +2

S_C

So, a saw-off between the two over-age, right shot, OHL d-men, who are now seventh and eighth in OHL d-men scoring, I believe. Neither is threatening to over-take Woo in the prospect rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad