GDT: 2019 Prospects Challenge Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I wondered when people would notice this, everyone has had Smith on the left. Chris Ryan had him penciled in on the right side earlier in the year with Vatanen moving over. Every Spokane highlight I've ever seen he's played the right side and on PP as well of course.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
It is probably because we dont have as much good RD options and we want to give him the most amount of playtime as possible in these games to get a better look at him overall

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is what Masisak had to say about Smith in the State of the Defense comments section:

Masisak said:
Ty has played on the right side a lot for Spokane, but I’m pretty sure part of that was them not having an RHD to play next to him. And over the course of a game, he would slide over when he was out there with one of their RHDs (he played with everyone b/c he’d play 30+ minutes, even in regulation games. But I do think Greene could be a good partner for him (and Greene’s possession numbers would improve with less wear and tear regardless, but especially next to Smith).

One of the big questions entering camp is who will play with PK on the top pairing. None of our LHD are good options, so would make sense to roll with:

Vantanen - Subban
Butcher - Severson
Greene - Smith
Mueller - Carrick

Especially if Smith is already comfortable on the right side, which appears to be the case. Could even swap Butcher and Greene if you want to shelter Smith and give him more offensive zone starts.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It seems kind strange to move a LHD to the right side so that you have an excuse to move a RHD to the left side, but whatever.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I wondered when people would notice this, everyone has had Smith on the left. Chris Ryan had him penciled in on the right side earlier in the year with Vatanen moving over. Every Spokane highlight I've ever seen he's played the right side and on PP as well of course.

If they are sliding Vats over to play LD1 then it would make sense for Smith to play RD3 to start if he’s comfortable with it.

Vatanen - Subban
Butcher - Severson
Greene - Smith
Mueller - Carrick

Reactions: JK3

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It seems kind strange to move a LHD to the right side so that you have an excuse to move a RHD to the left side, but whatever.

Yeah, and hasn't the hockey community recently figured out that handedness is actually pretty important for defensemen?

Not when 1 player is a vet who had shown the capabilities of playing top pair D and the other is a rookie they will most likely want to shelter.
But you're theoretically making both players worse by doing that. I'd rather see Butcher or Greene start the year with Subban, and if Smith plays very well, move him up there. It would not be the first time a veteran elite D carries a rookie on his pairing. In fact, didn't PK kind of do that with Markov?

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
But you're theoretically making both players worse by doing that. I'd rather see Butcher or Greene start the year with Subban, and if Smith plays very well, move him up there. It would not be the first time a veteran elite D carries a rookie on his pairing. In fact, didn't PK kind of do that with Markov?

Is it really making Smith worse if he's played on the right side the majority of the time already, and played damn well in juniors doing so?

Reactions: HBK27

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is it really making Smith worse if he's played on the right side the majority of the time already, and played damn well in juniors doing so?

While we won’t know unless we saw him play a ton at both positions, with the same partner, in the same situation, and after he stopped getting better, but the answer is that yes, Smith is probably worse playing on his off side.

It’s unlikely anyone is as good on their backhand as their forehand in most situations. Some guys it won’t affect as much and some it will affect a ton but everyone is likely affected.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

...yes?

To be more precise, there's no reason not to think Smith is a better player on his natural side than on his wrong side. The fact that his junior team needed him to play out of position and that he did so successfully does not mean that we should assume that his play was not adversely affected. He won CHL defenseman of the year, but his performance could have been even stronger if he was playing more on his natural side. We just don't know, but we do know that that is the case for most players.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
While we won’t know unless we saw him play a ton at both positions, with the same partner, in the same situation, and after he stopped getting better, but the answer is that yes, Smith is probably worse playing on his off side.

It’s unlikely anyone is as good on their backhand as their forehand in most situations. Some guys it won’t affect as much and some it will affect a ton but everyone is likely affected.

Thanks, you said what I was trying to say in fewer words. I'll also add that it's very good for us that Smith was so successful playing on his off side, it either means that he's above average in his ability to play of the off side (a good thing in case he's forced to do so because of injury or circumstance on the Devils) or that he is an even better player than his superb season last year suggested. Likely a combination of both.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone know if the Buffalo stream will be region blocked like the Devil's stream will be? I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to watch this.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

...yes?

To be more precise, there's no reason not to think Smith is a better player on his natural side than on his wrong side. The fact that his junior team needed him to play out of position and that he did so successfully does not mean that we should assume that his play was not adversely affected. He won CHL defenseman of the year, but his performance could have been even stronger if he was playing more on his natural side. We just don't know, but we do know that that is the case for most players.

There can be exceptions. I agree we'd need an large enough sample size to draw a conclusion, but I don't think it can definitely be assumed he'd just be better automatically playing on the left side. Especially playing on the right side during those key development years, of course he's still very young and can change but he already has that developed mentality of how to play on the right side.

There are advantages and disadvantages to playing on the off-side, and I'm really just playing devil's advocate. But we'll see how he does this year. I'd have him penciled in on the left side personally but can certainly see the argument for the opposite.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
:help:

Tell me why people defend Zacha and Not McLeod. McLeod was over a point per game after his slow start in his first AHL season. He has nothing to prove this season. Boqvist might not make the team until next year. Unless Zacha ends his hold out. The team only has 1/2 spots.

I am curious about the defense/goalies. Both groups stood out during development camp.

It's not hard to see why people would prefer the guy who is only 1 year older but has been a competent NHLer for 3 years compared to the guy who isn't an NHLer

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I just want to watch hockey at this point, is there a stream of the game going on now?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It's not hard to see why people would prefer the guy who is only 1 year older but has been a competent NHLer for 3 years compared to the guy who isn't an NHLer

Competent is a stretch. They are pretty interchangeable.

Getting back on topic. Bastion has been placed in an opportunistic spot. He played well during his call up. I can foresee him as Simmonds replacement next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad