GDT: 2019 Prospects Challenge Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Fortunately we don't need McLeod to be a top-6'er anymore, as those slots are locked down. He could end up being a perfect 4C or maybe 3C. Another year in the AHL is perfectly reasonable at this point.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm not sure I have seen one person pencil McLeod on the NHL roster.

I think @Ronnie Bass was referring to this:

"He’s not blowing the doors off but he seems to be developing each year. For all we know the Devils agree that his learning curve is steep and so they let him play out the year in the NHL next year because they still think positively about him."

But I think it was a mistake, and they meant play out the year in the AHL.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think @Ronnie Bass was referring to this:

"He’s not blowing the doors off but he seems to be developing each year. For all we know the Devils agree that his learning curve is steep and so they let him play out the year in the NHL next year because they still think positively about him."

But I think it was a mistake, and they meant play out the year in the AHL.

I was referring to last year; I either typo’ed or have a weird autocorrect because the “next” right after the bold should be “this”.

The team let McLeod take his lumps in the NHL which, for me, goes along with the idea that McLeod needs a long time to acclimate to each level and so the Devils used the end of last season to get McLeod that time.

He had a 50 point per 82 games AHL season last year so it seems very odd that people already want to talk about an exit plan for him. He’s developing fine for an NHL career; probably not a star but as guy who can contribute.

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's a lot of anchoring bias - he was a 1st round pick. If a 2nd round pick had his results people would be very excited for him, although they'd be put off by his NHL play.

There's not a lot behind him at center in the organization. I don't think Seney can stick at center in the NHL. Sharangovich has a long way to go. Then you've got Talvitie in the NCAA. I don't think the Devils will be giving up on McLeod any time soon unless it's for a similar player.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I've said it before but after that last game against the Panthers where half that team was going after McLeod, I'm thinking he could be a good 3rd/4th line PITA. That's if there's more to whatever set the Panthers off and it wasn't just a one off thing.

Reactions: HBK27

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Fortunately we don't need McLeod to be a top-6'er anymore, as those slots are locked down. He could end up being a perfect 4C or maybe 3C. Another year in the AHL is perfectly reasonable at this point.
i'd love him to be one, though. create a roster problem that forces us to make a nice trade

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's a lot of anchoring bias - he was a 1st round pick. If a 2nd round pick had his results people would be very excited for him, although they'd be put off by his NHL play.

There's not a lot behind him at center in the organization. I don't think Seney can stick at center in the NHL. Sharangovich has a long way to go. Then you've got Talvitie in the NCAA. I don't think the Devils will be giving up on McLeod any time soon unless it's for a similar player.

Certainly a recent trend among posters on these boards - getting really down or writing off prospects after their first taste of the NHL doesn't go so well. Happened to Wood and Coleman after 2016-2017 and now it seems Seney, McLeod and to a lesser extent Anderson are all facing backlash as well. Not every kid is going to hit the ground running the NHL level.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Certainly a recent trend among posters on these boards - getting really down or writing off prospects after their first taste of the NHL doesn't go so well. Happened to Wood and Coleman after 2016-2017 and now it seems Seney, McLeod and to a lesser extent Anderson are all facing backlash as well. Not every kid is going to hit the ground running the NHL level.

I think this is an excellent point, but I'm afraid that if Wood and Coleman had their '16-'17 seasons last year, there would be a problem because there aren't really any roster spots this year, and their subsequent breakout seasons would not have happened at all. So what of McLeod, Seney, Anderson, and Bastian (much more the first 3 than the last one)? They're probably going to play in the AHL, and might get some injury call ups, but that's not the same as getting a full season in the bigs to really establish yourself. That's why I'm a little bit more down on these three. I'm thrilled we got Gusev and obviously Hughes, but I do think it creates a hurdle for McLeod, Seney, and Anderson that Coleman and Wood didn't need to worry about.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well in the case of Wood people know he has the tools but it’s his hockey IQ that (still) drives everyone up the wall. In the case of Coleman, people were skeptical because of his lack of pedigree and a lot of times overage UDFA’s don’t get a second chance.

With McLeod it’s partly people are just exacerbated because of where he was drafted, plus he just hasn’t shown enough scoring touch as a pro to really give any confidence better is coming (8 goals in 82 games between the AHL and the NHL).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think this is an excellent point, but I'm afraid that if Wood and Coleman had their '16-'17 seasons last year, there would be a problem because there aren't really any roster spots this year, and their subsequent breakout seasons would not have happened at all. So what of McLeod, Seney, Anderson, and Bastian (much more the first 3 than the last one)? They're probably going to play in the AHL, and might get some injury call ups, but that's not the same as getting a full season in the bigs to really establish yourself. That's why I'm a little bit more down on these three. I'm thrilled we got Gusev and obviously Hughes, but I do think it creates a hurdle for McLeod, Seney, and Anderson that Coleman and Wood didn't need to worry about.

In a roundabout way, I think that you've stumbled on why prospect depth and projections about prospects vary so widely. On win now teams, and some other teams, perhaps like Detroit or LA that are bogged down with older players on long deals, there are loads of vets blocking not only the bottom six most of the time, but likely also the extra players who get in the odd game for an injured regular. As a result, guys like McLeod Seney and Anderson stew in the minors longer and stay as prospects as a result. Those organizations will have better prospect depth, but it's a bit of a false economy as others have noted. On balance, as NJ gets better, there will be less opportunity for the second tier prospects like the guys you've mentioned. It's part of the circle of life in the NHL I guess. Makuna Matata (spelling).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Yeah, we can certainly speculate on what could've happened with Wood and Coleman had they not been given a much easier opportunity to crack the NHL lineup in 2017-2018 due to lack of depth (though that was a playoff team, certainly in part to their contributions). Still, I think even if they marinated in the AHL a bit, they would've eventually found NHL success. Lots of different paths to arrive at the same place, IMO. If Seney, McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, etc. are NHLers I think they'll find their way there somehow and could even be better off with more time to develop in the AHL.

I also just looked at that 2016-2017 team and wow was that one ugly roster. What a relief to know that we have some of these young guys available as injury call-ups instead of some of the trash we strapped skates to and threw out on the ice that season.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yeah, we can certainly speculate on what could've happened with Wood and Coleman had they not been given a much easier opportunity to crack the NHL lineup in 2017-2018 due to lack of depth (though that was a playoff team, certainly in part to their contributions). Still, I think even if they marinated in the AHL a bit, they would've eventually found NHL success. Lots of different paths to arrive at the same place, IMO. If Seney, McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, etc. are NHLers I think they'll find their way there somehow and could even be better off with more time to develop in the AHL.

I also just looked at that 2016-2017 team and wow was that one ugly roster. What a relief to know that we have some of these young guys available as injury call-ups instead of some of the trash we strapped skates to and threw out on the ice that season.

I'm not the first to say this, but it's really astonishing how bad the team Shero took over was. You look at the clowns of the league like Ottawa, at least they have guys like Chabot and Tkuchuk and prospects like Batherson and Brannstrom. Who on earth did we have when Shero got here? Anyone besides Severson? How can you have a team so bad for so long and still have nothing in the way of blue chip prospects?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I like the future of some of these guys, and we have to note that they were called up in difficult circumstances, but boy did the Devils get almost nothing out of players who weren't on the roster to start the season.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
There is a recent trend of posters acting like they're Bob Mckenzie all of a sudden and need to get off their high horse.

Reactions: Darkauron

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
1.png

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Waaaaayyyyy to early to consider that unless he has a really poor camp.

I get that he's a mid-1st round pick and all, but he's still just 21 and coming off his first pro season. Hopefully he has a great camp, but the odds are stacked against him at starting in NJ largely due to only 2 spots being up for grabs (assuming they go 13F/8D) and he doesn't have to pass thru waivers like Rooney/Hayden or be sent to Bing like Smith/Boqvist. Even if he doesn't have a stellar camp, he can prove himself in Binghamton this season. This pre-season will not make or break McLeod's NHL career.
Not everyone has to become a top 2-4 forward either.. its possible guys like he and zacha... become solid 2nd and 3rd line players.. much like zubrus was.. i mcleod. is going to come around to be a really good 6-9 forward for this team or some NHL team I like all his tools and same with zacha.. need these types of guys

Camille the Eel

Not everyone has to become a top 2-4 forward either.. its possible guys like he and zacha... become solid 2nd and 3rd line players.. much like zubrus was.. i mcleod. is going to come around to be a really good 6-9 forward for this team or some NHL team I like all his tools and same with zacha.. need these types of guys
Gosh yes the size and speed alone will help our balance when we’ve also got some smaller or lighter very skilled guys like Bratt, Hughes, Gusev, and Smith probably all in the mix.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
nobody threw beads at hughes?! am disappoint.

Not to revisit the topic in general but on a specific basis, he’d be the one throwing the beads. Again, it’s not a good look and as a public figure he will have to learn that in the age of social media anything can and will be spun against you. Ok, now back to asking when he is going to be fitted for the green and red lights to warn approaching players he is going to commence steering in one direction or another and also asking if he is going to have lifts in his skates so his teammates don’t hit him in the head with their shin pads.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not to revisit the topic in general but on a specific basis, he’d be the one throwing the beads. Again, it’s not a good look and as a public figure he will have to learn that in the age of social media anything can and will be spun against you. Ok, now back to asking when he is going to be fitted for the green and red lights to warn approaching players he is going to commence steering in one direction or another and also asking if he is going to have lifts in his skates so his teammates don’t hit him in the head with their shin pads.

Ooh, a nautical reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad