Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Alex Speier said they can’t have both JD & Betts

Good news is plenty of cheap tickets next 5 years

It sounds to me like they are trying to pillow the blow for when we lose Mookie and that scares the shit out of me

Reactions: JRull86

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
How do you not hold a press conference after you just fired your top baseball ops guy?

This organization is such a clown show sometimes.

It's kind of incredible that they've been the second most successful Major Four franchise in the 21st century (behind the Patriots and tied with the Lakers in championships), given how many terrible decisions they make.

Reactions: JRull86

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I will say, if they are hell bent on trading Betts and the eventual spin that the Red Sox are oh so good at, that he simply didn't want to be here, I sure as hell don't want Dombrowski as the one handling that.

Let me be clear, I have no issue with them moving on from him. It's the fact that they do it at midnight as the Patriots SNF is ending so no one will pay attention, then not holding a press conference the next day. It's absof***inglutely pathetic.

Carrabis has the best analogy for it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also I’m not necessarily opposed to moving Mookie if he outright tells them he isn’t coming back to Boston. The haul would be insane.

But anything short of that you need to back up the Brinks truck

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I have no problem with the move itself. I’m not sure he is the type of guy you want leading your organization for too long...look at Detroit now for example. Rather move on a little too early than too late.

Reactions: Strafer

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Whether you like Dombrowski or not, and whether you agree with this or not, the way this went down is completely bush league.

Arrogance and complacency has set in.

The survey research that Felger and Mazz present each summer is telling.

The Red Sox have taken a huge hit in terms of popularity and public relations over the last ten months.

Meanwhile, the Pats are king and the Bruins have surpassed the Red Sox for many.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How do you not hold a press conference after you just fired your top baseball ops guy?

This organization is such a clown show sometimes.

The biggest mystery is why Larry Lucchino is still around ( in exile in Pawtucket/Worcester )

upload_2019-9-9_15-27-55.png

40 years ago the Yankees were a complete gong show BUT you knew who was in charge - that is not the case with this team

He actually posed for this ( poor horse )

0002638_george-steinbrenner-of-the-yankees.jpeg

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It's silly this owner can't have a press conference after firing the GM.

From the start of the year they could have addressed the bullpen issue but they think they know better than everyone else, now they fire a GM who just pulled off a post season run beating the Yankee's Astros and Dodgers. I have no clue what they want and what direction they are going or what they are thinking. Good thing they have lots of $ where they can buy their way out of problems.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From the start of the year they could have addressed the bullpen issue but they think they know better than everyone else.

As the season has progressed, it has become increasingly obvious that the problem this year has been the SP. Sale/Price/Porcello/Eovaldi haven’t given them anything this year...and have cost a fortune. Moving on from Kelly/Kimbrel actually looks like a good move right now as both have been pretty bad this year, especially given their salary.

The one thing I don’t understand is how they made the correct call to move on from Kimbrel rather than overpay for him, but then decided to turn around and extend Sale way earlier than needed....when they both had obvious/glaring red flags (Kimbrel and his control/diminishing stuff/ability to turn every save situation into an adventure late last year, Sale with his inability to stay healthy). I just don’t get how you can come to polar opposite conclusions in those two cases.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have no problem with the move itself. I’m not sure he is the type of guy you want leading your organization for too long...look at Detroit now for example. Rather move on a little too early than too late.

His MO has always been to mortgage the future for success today. And in sports, today is all you have. Them not being happy with the state of the farm system is disingenuous bull shit given his track record for dealing prospects for players that can help now.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The biggest mystery is why Larry Lucchino is still around ( in exile in Pawtucket/Worcester )

View attachment 253679

40 years ago the Yankees were a complete gong show BUT you knew who was in charge - that is not the case with this team

He actually posed for this ( poor horse )

0002638_george-steinbrenner-of-the-yankees.jpeg

Someone had to fire Dombrowski

Logically the only guy I’d think who could do this is Henry

Am I missing someone

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Someone had to fire Dombrowski

Logically the only guy I’d think who could do this is Henry

Am I missing someone

“Four years ago, we were faced with a critical decision about the direction of the franchise,” Red Sox principal owner John Henry said in a statement. “We were extraordinarily fortunate to be able to bring Dave in to lead baseball operations. With a World Series championship and three consecutive American League East titles, he has cemented what was already a Hall of Fame career.”

“I mean, I just found out,” Cora said. “Surprised. I’m shocked, honestly. Right now, I don’t have too much to say. We’ll talk about it tomorrow. This is a guy that gave me a chance to come here and be a big league manager. It’s one of those that they just told me, so I’m not ready to talk about it.”

“Dave will hold a special place in franchise history as a key architect of one of the greatest Red Sox teams ever assembled,” said chairman Tom Werner in a statement. “His willingness to make bold moves helped deliver our fourth World Series championship in the 21st century."

President & CEO Sam Kennedy added: “Dave and I enjoyed a tremendous partnership these past four seasons. His baseball acumen and relentless pursuit of winning produced a season that will long be remembered by all of us."

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Unable to retain Betts and JDM because they lost their flexibility with the Sale and Eovaldi deals.

Shoot me now

It's such a blatant lie too. Panda, Castillo and Pedroia will all be off the books in the next 2 years. That's more than enough money to take care of Betts.

If you can't get a deal done with Betts this offseason he's gonna ride it out till he's a free agent and then things could get wild. The entire pitching staff is a total disaster right now. What is the best way to try and fix that when you can't sign a top tier guy? Trade route and they don't have the prospects for that. I don't want to see Betts traded but I think it's a distinct possibility. To be in this situation, that part is on Dombrowski. The Sale contract was absolutely mind boggling. Tough decisions ahead.

Still amusing to me that John Henry didn't see this coming. Dombrowski has been 100% as advertised. Henry treated him like a prostitute. Got the WS title and already saying goodbye.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One of the most if not the most dysfunctional successful team in sports. Would be nice to have a clear vision for what you want in a GM but that seems to change every few years.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad