Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
There is no way they can lure theo epstein back from the cubs or get someone like andrew friedman from the dodgers if the higher ups continue to meddle in baseball ops.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There are so many moving parts concerning Red Sox ownership that it is impossible to sort out

upload_2019-9-9_2-7-21.png

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
There are so many moving parts concerning Red Sox ownership that it is impossible to sort out

View attachment 253631
Would Comcast have to divest Some of their Philly interests or NBCSB IF they invest in NESN and or the Redsox Having The bruins flagship RSN would be beneficial for their NHL coverage and their cable business.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There is no way they can lure theo epstein back from the cubs or get someone like andrew friedman from the dodgers if the higher ups continue to meddle in baseball ops.

I fully expect Theo to leave the Cubs after this season. The problem in Chicago is the owners of the Cubs have political views that Theo is uncomfortable with. However, I could see him going 9 miles south to the White Sox because his wife has made her own name in Chicago.

Dombrowski was not signing the payroll checks and nothing he did with the Red Sox shows any difference of his philosophy with the White Sox, Expos, Marlins and Tigers.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DAN SHAUGHNESSY
Dave Dombrowski discovers having the biggest payroll always comes with a price

Dave Dombrowski is out as baseball boss of the Red Sox.

The news broke after midnight that Boston’s president of baseball operations had been fired.

Fair or unfair, this felt inevitable. I wrote last month that I would be shocked if Dombrowski was still GM next year and those words were greeted with stony silence on Jersey Street. No one came to the defense of a boss that had just won the World Series and had finished in first place in each of his first three full seasons.

Dombrowski did exactly what he was hired to do when the Sox brought him on board in the summer of 2015. He traded prospects for veteran talent. He signed big name free agents. He threw around contract extensions like fun-sized Halloween candies. He ignored draft and development. And he ignored a lot of the people who worked at Fenway Park.

The Sox won every year until this year. And each season, Dombrowski became more isolated inside the walls of Fenway. He holed up with his buddies Frank Wren and Tony La Russa. He insisted that Sam Kennedy have zero input on all baseball decisions and never clicked with the “new” CEO. Dombrowski was not particularly close to the people in baseball ops. Or Tom Werner.

In the end, Dombrowski did not have much support from Alex Cora. No one in a Sox uniform was happy last week in Anaheim when Dombrowski failed to bring major league arms to California after a 15-inning win on a Friday night at the Big A. The next night, Cora was forced to call on weary, worn-out Ryan Brasier in relief of a critical game. Brasier blew a 4-3 lead, giving up six runs in the eighth inning. It was front office malpractice. Things were coming to a head.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I know it is crazy going after John Henry since they have 4 titles under him but what did he think he was getting in Dombrowski? Dombrowski did what he always does but unlike in Detroit he won a title.

So what did John Henry not like after a historic season last year? Signing Sale and Eovaldi? You're the owner, you can make the final call. That's my basis for Dombrowski did not deserve to be fired. With that said I totally get that at 63, he's not the guy to lead you forward. Just seems like he got a raw deal.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I know it is crazy going after John Henry since they have 4 titles under him but what did he think he was getting in Dombrowski? Dombrowski did what he always does but unlike in Detroit he won a title.

So what did John Henry not like after a historic season last year? Signing Sale and Eovaldi? You're the owner, you can make the final call. That's my basis for Dombrowski did not deserve to be fired. With that said I totally get that at 63, he's not the guy to lead you forward. Just seems like he got a raw deal.

Seriously, to me this is the same group that smeared francona reminding us they are still around

Reactions: Fenian24

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The stupid extension of Chris Sale, who even average baseball fans knew would break down may have been the dumbest signing ever. Add that to the huge underperformance of David Price,the descent of Porcello from mediocre to poor,and standing pat at the deadline did him in. Can the Sox pull off another Gonzalez,Crawford,Beckett hoodwink on some poor pretender?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My understanding is DD did NOT want to extend Sale but JWH demanded it and it has been downhill from there
The Sale signing was the most poorly thought out transaction this team has made in years,and I thought Dombrowski was behind it. The next head to fall should be LeVangie,he should have been first.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
1) Was never a Dombrowski guy. Think his "all-in" for a few years approach is the wrong one. Baseball's post-season is too hard to guarantee anything even with a super team ( i.e. the Dodgers). When it doesn't work you can lose a decade as a franchise. (i.e. the Tigers).

2) But it worked! He did exactly what John Henry brought him in to do. 108 wins and a WS title. You hire someone to do one specific thing and then they do it, what else did you want?

3) This is a bat**** crazy firing. The title isn't even a year old. This is his first down year. WTF?

4) Firing him at 12:30 am after a Pats game is f***ing embarrassing. Amateur hour. And if he gets smeared in the media this week Henry won't have Lucchino to hide behind.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
1) Was never a Dombrowski guy. Think his "all-in" for a few years approach is the wrong one. Baseball's post-season is too hard to guarantee anything even with a super team ( i.e. the Dodgers). When it doesn't work you can lose a decade as a franchise. (i.e. the Tigers).

2) But it worked! He did exactly what John Henry brought him in to do. 108 wins and a WS title. You hire someone to do one specific thing and then they do it, what else did you want?

3) This is a bat**** crazy firing. The title isn't even a year old. This is his first down year. WTF?

4) Firing him at 12:30 am after a Pats game is ****ing embarrassing. Amateur hour. And if he gets smeared in the media this week Henry won't have Lucchino to hide behind.

It must be at least partially to appease fans.

I'm curious how Sox-Yankees ratings compared to the Pat's last night.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He got us past some good teams to win last year.

Can't believe he thought it was OK to not turn any of the roster over at all I mean we couldn't even get a backup catcher thats just unhealthy.

Good time to cut bait but this isn't an easy hire we could screw it up. The AL is very good right now some 90 win team is gonna miss the playoffs under the new format and thats pretty much unheard of. Most years we are still safe for WC2. But I think even the fanbase is ready for an October off after the last few years to be totally honest.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Bogearts also

Been reading for a year he wanted out and with Scott Boras his agent he’s gone

Seems isn’t reality
You realize X just signed a pretty substantial extension right?

Never mind, I see what you were saying

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I think Eovaldi turns it around and Sale is good when he pitches. Price has been in worse places. Erod is OK. Just sign the right guy to replace Porcello.

Just can't believe we thought it would be OK to not give Sale a break in early August like we do every year.

Don't think anyone can screw up the lineup. JBJ and Sandy are the ones I'd move on from.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Whos gonna have good ratings up against a Pats banner game when we've dominated NFL headlines all of the last week?

I have to think last night even die hard Sox fans were more interested in the Pats whereas it could have been different if these Sox games had playoff implications.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah I'm not a tennis guy but when I put my second TV on ESPN as the Arizona/Detriot game ended and the Pats kicked off and saw Nadal and the Russian had a 5th set to play for the US Open I left it there vs getting Sox-Yanks on ESPN2. If it were an important game I'm not watching any tennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad