Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Tickets today against 100+ loss orioles and the Redsox where still going for almost full price it will be interesting to see if the fans ever turn there back on the team ownership i doubt it though.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Shedding payroll in the likes of Betts, JDM, etc, and charging what they charge for tickets is going to blow up in their face at some point.

With every other Boston team being good, they are playing a dangerous game.

Baseball as a whole is already trending in the wrong direction.

f***ing sell the team at this point, if that's how they want to operate. There is no reason the Boston Red Sox should be concerned about the low level luxury tax threshold.

Can't wait to spend $150 on two bleacher seats, two beers, and two hotdogs to watch Betts play for a visiting team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Shedding payroll in the likes of Betts, JDM, etc, and charging what they charge for tickets is going to blow up in their face at some point.

****ing sell the team at this point, if that's how they want to operate. There is no reason the Boston Red Sox should be concerned about the low level luxury tax threshold.

Can't wait to spend $150 on two bleacher seats, two beers, and two hotdogs to watch Betts play for a visiting team.
Its resale but as i am writing this the cheapest available ticket for tomorrows game vs Baltimore which is completely meaningless for both teams starts is 40$+ dollers . StubHub!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

****ing sell the team at this point, if that's how they want to operate. There is no reason the Boston Red Sox should be concerned about the low level luxury tax threshold.

Technically the Red Sox are the only part of FSG that shows red ink and Liverpool is now the crown jewel.

They know ticket sales won't crater as Fenway is still a tourist attraction.

I hate to say this but the Steinbrenner brothers have allowed Brian Cashman to take the time needed to rebuild the franchise which their father never would have allowed. Who they get from the outside will be interesting because winning a championship doesn't guarantee job security.

My guess is Jed Hoyer if it isn't Theo.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Technically the Red Sox are the only part of FSG that shows red ink and Liverpool is now the crown jewel.

They know ticket sales won't crater as Fenway is still a tourist attraction.

I hate to say this but the Steinbrenner brothers have allowed Brian Cashman to take the time needed to rebuild the franchise which their father never would have allowed. Who they get from the outside will be interesting because winning a championship doesn't guarantee job security.

My guess is Jed Hoyer if it isn't Theo.
Do you think Billy Beane would ever leave the a's. He has not had any real day to day power in Oakland since he screwed up the Donaldson and Cespedes trades.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sox owners finally field questions, but spare the clear answers

By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Staff

When asked why there was no press conference when Dombrowski was fired, Henry turned toward his VP of media relations Kevin Gregg and said, “Should I tell the truth?’’ Werner cackled.

In this awkward moment, CEO Kennedy stepped forward.

“I can handle this one. Right or wrong we felt we weren’t going to answer questions about Dave’s departure. It was going to be a situation where we’d be asked a lot of questions about blame and what he did wrong, and we felt very strongly as a group that the right thing was to thank him for his time and his service,” Kennedy said. “That was the decision, and it’s fair to disagree with it.’’

“I’ve had a long relationship with Dave,’’ added Henry, who worked with Dombrowski when Henry owned the Florida Marlins. “It was painful to make a change. For me personally, it was painful. But we felt it was the right thing to do. And if we were going to have a press conference, I would love to have talked about what he accomplished while he was here. You guys all would have asked what went wrong, which is your job to do. It wasn’t as much a case of us hiding, as has been portrayed. We didn’t see the utility of going through what the differences were.’’

So instead of outlining their philosophical differences with Dombrowski when he was fired, they did it Friday night. Good luck to the Next Man Up, who will be the Sox fourth GM since 2011.

Will the new person come from the in-house, Group Of Four currently running the team?

“It’s possible,’’ said Henry, “but this is a tough job and a tough offseason, too. This is a challenging offseason. To put one of the candidates you keep bringing up [Eddie Romero Jr., we presume] in charge, that’s sort of a tough way to start your career as a general manager. So we are starting the search looking outward.’’

Look westward, toward 42-year-old Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman. Never rule out Theo. And strap yourselves in for the bridge year to 2021 and beyond.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can only share what a couple of long-time Sox employees have told me.

John Henry will not sell the team as Linda has told him she would continue his legacy. Translated - she wants the power.

Tom Werner is the joker right now and he holds the balance of power. Michael Gordon owns the second-largest amount of stock and has the proxy of Jeffrey Vinik who owns the Tampa Bay Lightning. Gordon despises the spotlight but Vinick craves it. If Werner sells to them JWH and Linda lose the power.

Vinick tried to buy the Bruins but Jacobs said they were not for sale and set him up in Tampa and anyone who has been to Amalie Arena knows he runs a top notch operation.

upload_2019-9-28_4-51-54.png

Werner is hurting as two of his syndication nest eggs have imploded ( Bill Cosby and Roseanne Barr ) and he might be tempted to cashout and enjoy retirement. Lucchino is still lurking and you have to think he would love some revenge.

The Alfond family from Maine will have some say in this as well.

:popcorn:

Reactions: CDJ

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My favorite player as a kid was Ron Santo. I was huge Cubs fan.

Still can’t believe the Cubs started 4 future HOF (Banks, Brock, Williams, and Santo) and finished below the Colt 45s

WGN-TV was a fun place to work as along with the Cubs we also were hired to produce games for the White Sox, Brewers, Bulls and Blackhawks. It was also the home of Phil Donahue until Ophra caused him to flee to New York.

First game I ever worked for WGN-TV was at Fenway

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sox owners finally field questions, but spare the clear answers

By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Staff

When asked why there was no press conference when Dombrowski was fired, Henry turned toward his VP of media relations Kevin Gregg and said, “Should I tell the truth?’’ Werner cackled.

In this awkward moment, CEO Kennedy stepped forward.

I can handle this one. Right or wrong we felt we weren’t going to answer questions about Dave’s departure. It was going to be a situation where we’d be asked a lot of questions about blame and what he did wrong, and we felt very strongly as a group that the right thing was to thank him for his time and his service,” Kennedy said. “That was the decision, and it’s fair to disagree with it.’

“I’ve had a long relationship with Dave,’’ added Henry, who worked with Dombrowski when Henry owned the Florida Marlins. “It was painful to make a change. For me personally, it was painful. But we felt it was the right thing to do. And if we were going to have a press conference, I would love to have talked about what he accomplished while he was here. You guys all would have asked what went wrong, which is your job to do. It wasn’t as much a case of us hiding, as has been portrayed. We didn’t see the utility of going through what the differences were.’’

So instead of outlining their philosophical differences with Dombrowski when he was fired, they did it Friday night. Good luck to the Next Man Up, who will be the Sox fourth GM since 2011.

Will the new person come from the in-house, Group Of Four currently running the team?

“It’s possible,’’ said Henry, “but this is a tough job and a tough offseason, too. This is a challenging offseason. To put one of the candidates you keep bringing up [Eddie Romero Jr., we presume] in charge, that’s sort of a tough way to start your career as a general manager. So we are starting the search looking outward.’’

Look westward, toward 42-year-old Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman. Never rule out Theo. And strap yourselves in for the bridge year to 2021 and beyond.

Puke everywhere. What a spin zone

Also idk why they brought up Friedman. He’s not leaving what he’s built in LA. They pay him well. He’s the best in the league imo so it would be a steal if they somehow ended up with him

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Puke everywhere. What a spin zone

Also idk why they brought up Friedman. He’s not leaving what he’s built in LA. They pay him well. He’s the best in the league imo so it would be a steal if they somehow ended up with him
You are young

Trust me - what is going on right now is like pissing in the wind

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I just can't see how any good GM would work for Henry knowing the job security situation. First sign of adversity you'll have to take the fall even after winning a WS. Yankees have stood by Cashman and he hasn't won in a long time

Reactions: Fenway and BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I do think a bridge year is coming but the crazy thing about baseball is that 2013 was supposed to be a bridge year too. It’s not like like they’ll be devoid of talent

It’s more likely than not they miss the playoffs next year but at the end of the day all they have to do is sneak into a wildcard spot- from there anything can happen

Reactions: sarge88

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You are young

Trust me - what is going on right now is like pissing in the wind

Dan - There is a power struggle going on but one thing seems clear

Nobody except John Henry wants anything to do with Linda.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I do think a bridge year is coming but the crazy thing about baseball is that 2013 was supposed to be a bridge year too. It’s not like like they’ll be devoid of talent

It’s more likely than not they miss the playoffs next year but at the end of the day all they have to do is sneak into a wildcard spot- from there anything can happen

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If you can’t put together a decent club at just under $200 million a year, you should not be a major league GM. You probably shouldn’t be managing a Wendy’s honestly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan - There is a power struggle going on but one thing seems clear

Nobody except John Henry wants anything to do with Linda.
I figured she was behind Lucchino once Janet Marie Smith was removed

Janet Marie Smith was a star - err is a star

I knew right then

Interesting that Werner holds the cards in a way - amazing

Vinik is supposed to be a real good guy isn’t he ?

Reactions: Fenway

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you can’t put together a decent club at just under $200 million a year, you should not be a major league GM. You probably shouldn’t be managing a Wendy’s honestly.
Ha ha

My thoughts exactly

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If she got rid of Lucchino she's alright by me.

Also, what John Henry has done as an owner easily dwarfs the Steinbrenner brothers.

Because the Sox only f*** up royally and seem so stupid/out-of-touch when they do, everyone loses all perspective of how overwhelmingly successful this ownership group has been.

Will I be happy if they really do dramatically cut payroll? No, I'll be pissed. I was also pissed when they hired Valentine. A season after that they won the World Series for the third f***ing time, but not the last.

Reactions: CDJ

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Everyone forgets about the Sox playoff record inbetween 1918 and 04 and how they have won 4 rings since then. I'll take the 21st century Sox.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad