Golf: 2019 PGA Championship

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
This place will be dead all weekend. I’ll be watching. Lap the field Brooks. Most of all win it. My Draft King lineups would appreciate it
I was hoping Jordan could’ve made a run at the career slam after posting a great round earlier today but Brooksey clearly had other ideas

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will Chamblee continue to talk **** about Koepka?

I think its mostly been fair criticism.

As good as Koepka is playing and the praise he's getting for this tournament, he hasn't won all year and statistically his season SG stats have never been all that impressive where he dominates in any one category or shows the ability to be extremely good in multiple categories. He's not exactly shed the "only plays well in majors" label. There is no precedent in golf history for someone with this kind of career who is average in non-majors, but great in majors. All the great players also were great in non-majors, so to be hesitant to call him great probably makes sense. If he wins this tournament, I think even the skeptics have to start considering the very real possibility that he has some incredible ability to perform in majors in a way that others don't.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another reason to continue watching. This is one of the greatest performances in golf history. This is one of those tournaments people could be talking about in 50 years. For someone to have a chance tomorrow, I think they have to be within five by the end of the day. Outside of Koepka coming back to the field, someone needs to be within shouting distance where they play a great round on Sunday and he plays so-so.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
This is the only Adam Scott I root for

Adam-Scott-is-Henry-Pollard-party-down-6944432-680-380.jpg

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Remote that he doesn't win but I wouldn’t be exactly shocked if the gap closes to like 2 strokes at some point tomorrow on the back 9. I suspect someone will shoot 6 or 7 under tomorrow and if Brooks were to go -1 or -2 it’ll get close for awhile. I would say it’s 5% though that he loses

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Remote that he doesn't win but I wouldn’t be exactly shocked if the gap closes to like 2 strokes at some point tomorrow on the back 9. I suspect someone will shoot 6 or 7 under tomorrow and if Brooks were to go -1 or -2 it’ll get close for awhile. I would say it’s 5% though that he loses

Right... your “predictions” haven’t exactly been great this weekend.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koepka is changing the way everyone is evaluating what success is in golf.

Koepka has never finished better than 9th on the PGA Tour in scoring average. In his last 10 majors counting this one with a round to go, he's -63. That would be the equivalent of finishing between -6 and -7 in majors, which would be a finish that is top 10 in just about every major contested and wins a lot of them. The disparity between his scoring average in majors and scoring average in other tournaments is at a level that the sport has never seen on this scale.

If Koepka wins this event, how should he be regarded? Only Tiger and Phil will have more major wins among active players. He'll have won 4 of the last 8 majors, but the next time he shows up to a PGA Tour event that isn't a major, his record is that of a guy whose never finished better than 9th on the PGA Tour in scoring average, and has won 2 of 85 in regular tour events. Thats the equivalent of a win every other year. Rickie Fowler has a higher winning percentage in regular tour events than Koepka.

Can someone be great if they only are great four times a year?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Koepka has never finished better than 9th on the PGA Tour in scoring average. In his last 10 majors counting this one with a round to go, he's -63. That would be the equivalent of finishing between -6 and -7 in majors, which would be a finish that is top 10 in just about every major contested and wins a lot of them. The disparity between his scoring average in majors and scoring average in other tournaments is at a level that the sport has never seen on this scale.

If Koepka wins this event, how should he be regarded? Only Tiger and Phil will have more major wins among active players. He'll have won 4 of the last 8 majors, but the next time he shows up to a PGA Tour event that isn't a major, his record is that of a guy whose never finished better than 9th on the PGA Tour in scoring average, and has won 2 of 85 in regular tour events. Thats the equivalent of a win every other year. Rickie Fowler has a higher winning percentage in regular tour events than Koepka.

The majors get the most attention and is ultimately what they're are remembered for by the majority of the audience.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Yup.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I also don’t know if he will ever win at Augusta. I don’t feel he has the pinpoint accuracy on approach shots or short irons. There’s too many other players who over the course of 4 days will put more shots within 6 feet of the hole on those par 3s and birdie while he has a tendency to par them more often than not. Wouldn’t rule out he wins 1 but I would be fairly confident in saying he’s not winning multiple times in Augusta

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I also don’t know if he will ever win at Augusta. I don’t feel he has the pinpoint accuracy on approach shots or short irons. There’s too many other players who over the course of 4 days will put more shots within 6 feet of the hole on those par 3s and birdie while he has a tendency to par them more often than not. Wouldn’t rule out he wins 1 but I would be fairly confident in saying he’s not winning multiple times in Augusta

He literally just came in second place by a stroke. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he can win at Augusta.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He literally just came in second place by a stroke. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he can win at Augusta.

I felt he played the best I’ve ever see him play over 4 days and he still didn’t win. I just think he needs his A game there. If he’s going A minus or B + it’s not going to be enough on that course because there’s always like 15-20 other guys who can play their B game there and win

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I felt he played the best I’ve ever see him play over 4 days and he still didn’t win. I just think he needs his A game there. If he’s going A minus or B + it’s not going to be enough on that course because there’s always like 15-20 other guys who can play their B game there and win

What’s the grading scale here? Increments of 10? What percentage is an A-?

These comments are getting ridiculous. It’s okay to just admit you don’t like Koepka.

Reactions: TB12
Jan 3, 2012
I feel like we probably haven't seen the best of Koepka yet.

I kind of get the vibe that part of what makes Koepka so good is that he doesn't really care. Most other big names on tour were college stars, expected to be standout tour players and win majors, love golf and feel their lives have been building to this point. Guys like Rory, Spieth and JT have so much pressure to win majors. Koepka? He said he prefers baseball, golf is like a job to him. If Koepka didn't win another major the rest of his career, everyone would just say, well he got hot for 3 years and won 4. If Rory didn't win another major, everyone would say he kind of missed expectations.

Reactions: Shattenhurts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad