Golf: 2019 PGA Championship

Jan 3, 2012
The 2019 PGA Championship begins this Thursday May 16 and concludes Sunday May 19. The venue is Bethpage State Park - Black Course.

Bethpage-Black-15th-hole.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve played this course before. It’s a very difficult golf course for anyone. Gotta hit fairways. Rough might be near unplayable this week with the recent rain and the fairway bunkers are a pain also. Forecast has been and will be early this week cold and rainy for May. It should get a little better on the weekend, but I think the course is going to play very long.

I’m picking DJ to win at -7. This week should be a premium on long and straight driving. I doubt it’s going to be a birdie-fest either.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
bit odd that they would play the first May PGA Championship at a Northeast course
even tho the weather should be fine for the weekend, but it was about 40 degrees here this morning
long players should be among the leaders come sunday, but accuracy is more important than length

I was at the us open here in 2001 and sat by a par 4 on the back 9 for 3ish hours on day [can't recall what hole]
1 player who drove in the rough got on the green that day, Tiger, that's it
this is going to be US Open Part I this week, should be fun

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I'd love to see Tiger grab two consecutive majors but my mind says it'll be between DJ, Rory and Brooks. I think Tiger can post a top 5/10 though

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Tiger has won the first two majors of the season once in his career: 2002 at Augusta and Bethpage.

Phil finished runner up at the US Open at Bethpage in 2002 and 2009.
Feel bad for Phil. The terms "number two" and/or "runner-up" pretty much summarizes his whole career to this point

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
are you a time traveler posting from the year 2004?
Nah Phil’s still known more as a best man. He’s never spent a day at number one, has the most second place finishes at majors besides Jack, never won the US Open despite finishing second place there six different times (!!!!), never won an annual individual award (finished second/third a lot tho) and never won a FedEx Cup (despite finishing second place twice before I beleive). Although he’s picked off a few majors later on in his career, he’s finished second on many more occasions and overall, he’s always been more known for his longevity than being a dominant golfer.

Phil seems like a cool dude and I like watching him play, but his ability to go in for the kill has and will always be a question mark.

Also, doesn’t he have the record for most weeks at number two as well?

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Nah Phil’s still known more as a best man. He’s never spent a day at number one, has the most second place finishes at majors besides Jack, never won the US Open despite finishing second place there six different times (!!!!), never won an individual award and never won a FedEx Cup (despite finishing second place twice before I beleive). Although he’s picked off a few majors later on in his career, he’s finished second on so many more occasions and overall, he’s always been more known for his longevity than being a dominant golfer.

Phil seems like a cool dude and I like watching him play, but his ability to go in for the kill has and will always be a question mark.

Also, doesn’t he have the record for most weeks at number two as well?
cheers, fair enough
he does have 5 major wins where no one else who's career started after 1990 has more than him
2nd to Tiger in this era is still pretty darn good

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
cheers, fair enough
he does have 5 major wins where no one else who's career started after 1990 has more than him
2nd to Tiger in this era is still pretty darn good
Oh yea he’s a darn good golfer there’s no question about that. Being the second best golfer in his generation (the 2000s) is a very impressive feat, although I still think he could’ve won more given how many times he’s put himself in position to do so just to fall short

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Tiger by 2

Might try tnd get up there and play this course later in the summer. We shall see

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Is there typically no morning TV coverage Thursday and Friday for the PGA? I know there never is for the Masters but don’t really recall that for any of the other 3 majors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad