Speculation: 2019 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The thing is Murray is always injured. There's no way of knowing if he's going to be healthy long term. It would be a huge gamble if you think he'll be healthy than trade Werenski.

Maybe you think about trading him? Gavrikov takes his spot in the top 4. See if Peeke is ready to play in the NHL and Columbus was 1 of teams interested in Oliwer Kaski. I'm sure he wants to play in the NHL, not in the AHL so I'm sure if they sign him, good chance he's at number 5, 6, or 7 spot.

As for whoever said Dzingel could be brought back. Would he even want stick around? I wonder playing for Tortorella made him not want to be here.

I’d trade Murray before Werenski except I think the trade value for Werenski is much, much higher (and I don’t think the gap between Murray and Z is very large, and in a lot of ways, I like Murray better as a player).

I thought it was slightly odd with all our defensemen that we’d be in the Kaski sweepstakes but maybe it’s to set up something like a trade.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
The problem is that you don't want to get locked in long term (6+ years) with any of those guys. I think it will be more about the trade market.
True and these players probably won't settle for a short term deal. From that list I would be reluctant to give a long term deals. Not including the CBJ UFa's, Skinner is probably the only guy I would give a long term deal. Zuccarello might be fine with a shorter term. Would be a good vet to have. Anyone know how his relationship was with Tortorella?

I’d trade Murray before Werenski except I think the trade value for Werenski is much, much higher (and I don’t think the gap between Murray and Z is very large, and in a lot of ways, I like Murray better as a player).

I thought it was slightly odd with all our defensemen that we’d be in the Kaski sweepstakes but maybe it’s to set up something like a trade.
Fair enough and I'm sure if Jarmo trades Z, he looked at it from all angles(looked at the depth if Murray was injured).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
"It is what it is"

At least 1 trade, that didn't occur, should have happened at the deadline.

I wonder how close it was to happening. I'm willing to bet the Kinkaid move was more than "insurance".

"We have good depth in goal now. I'm sure Sergei Bobrovsky will still be our #1 goalie, and there will be a little bit of a battle on who will be #2."

Question: So you intend to go the rest of the year with these three goaltenders?

Jarmo: "Yes. Depth is important at any position because with one injury your depth is going to get really tested, and to add a proven NHL goalie will be a great addition to our group."

So yeah. Not close. Or at least not close enough that Jarmo thought it was possible. Unless you don't believe him on this feature posted the morning of the deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky gave Foligno a hug, even though that’s usually reserved for the victory conga line. Left winger Artemi Panarin took a few more twirls and raised his stick to the crowd of 19,219 in Nationwide Arena.

A hug and a wave goodbye, perhaps. Both players — unrestricted free agents on July 1 — are expected to move along this summer, along with fellow UFAs Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel and Adam McQuaid.

The Blue Jackets might also lose their president of hockey operations, John Davidson, who is rumored to be the one and only candidate to fill that same job with the New York Rangers.

Asked if the Blue Jackets took a step forward this season — they’ve never made it out of the first round in previous springs — right winger Cam Atkinson didn’t mince words.

“You never know what’s going to happen in the summer: who’s gonna stay, who’s leaving,” Atkinson said. “We had the group to do it this year, that’s for sure. We’ll see what happens.”

• Now it can be told, Part 1: D Markus Nutivaara, out of the lineup since Game 3 of the first round after a hit by Tampa Bay’s Nikita Kucherov, suffered a muscle tear halfway through his 4- to 6-week recovery.
  • NICBT, Part 2: D Ryan Murray suffered a herniated disc in his back, though not in the same spot as last season. He was out for three months, so there was a chance he could

Blue Jackets' arduous season ends with a thud, signaling the...

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Let it all play out. Nothing that a fan base can do anyway. There's going to be saved money to spend and we have a few decent prospects.
Someone will come here in FA and yes we'll overpay because that's how it works! Deep D depth gives a smidge of trade bait also.

The concept that if Panarin, Bob and Duchene walk we instantly become a cellar dweller is ridiculous! There ARE targets acquired by this FO as a contingency. I'll choose to enjoy summer and see how it unfolds.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That part on Nuti makes no sense. He suffered a muscle tear during his 4-6 week recovery from what? Did he have a concussion or another injury?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Odd statement from Portzline. Is it really "expected" that Duchene moves on along with the other names? I'd say it's at least 50/50 he stays.

I agree that seems strange. I hope he stays because without him the only good thing I see is I can spend a lot more time on the 2020 draft.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Odd statement from Portzline. Is it really "expected" that Duchene moves on along with the other names? I'd say it's at least 50/50 he stays.
You mean the same guy that didn’t get wind that Garikov would draw in , and we , once again found out from the national guys . Don’t kid yourself about Porty . I can tell you that I will be shocked if Duchene isn’t back next year . He loves it here in Columbus , and we will have a great team next year

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
That part on Nuti makes no sense. He suffered a muscle tear during his 4-6 week recovery from what? Did he have a concussion or another injury?
I believe he means that the injury was a muscle tear and he was halfway through his recovery so not close to returning to game action.
You would expect a journalist to have a better grasp of the English language/grammar.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I wouldn't rule anyone out yet.

Bob could get to UFA and see the grass isn't greener (maybe someone will give him $9M+ at 7 years), question is would the CBJ get back in if we could sign him to $7.5 and 4 years.
Panarin is likely gone, but again stranger things have happened.
Duchene is most likely to stay but does he want to stay?
Dzingel if we can get it right may make sense but was not impactful, so I'm not crazy about signing too many years.

My guess -Bob and Panarin leave (but my guess is Bob is looking more at a 5 year deal). We pay way too much for Duchene and Dzingel.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It should be beyond clear to us by now that Portzy has zero inside sources, and shouldn’t be trusted on these matters. Whenever he makes statements like this, he’s looking for clicks.

That being said I give it a 50/50 shot Duchene stays. I think he likes it here.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Also for Jarmo's quotes on UFA:
Much like negotiating with RFA he could have made a mistake. Keep your mouth shut and try to ice the best team and don't burn bridges. He sounds too much like the CBJ in years 1-3 where they wanted the right community guys and valued that over talent.
He needs to be above the fray.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
It should be beyond clear to us by now that Portzy has zero inside sources, and shouldn’t be trusted on these matters. Whenever he makes statements like this, he’s looking for clicks.

That being said I give it a 50/50 shot Duchene stays. I think he likes it here.

Then he posts crap like this. He knows NOTHING.

Reactions: CPTN71

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Also for Jarmo's quotes on UFA:
Much like negotiating with RFA he could have made a mistake. Keep your mouth shut and try to ice the best team and don't burn bridges. He sounds too much like the CBJ in years 1-3 where they wanted the right community guys and valued that over talent.
He needs to be above the fray.

Jarmo takes things too personally

Reactions: JacketsDavid

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I believe he means that the injury was a muscle tear and he was halfway through his recovery so not close to returning to game action.
You would expect a journalist to have a better grasp of the English language/grammar.

Or he said what he meant: After the head shot in Tampa, he re-injured the muscle while working out. Seems very likely.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm wary of signing Murray long-term; his situation reeks of Nathan Horton.

Bye Bob, Bread, McQuaid, and Dzingel. Happy Trails and Best Wishes going forward.

If Duchene doesn't stay that would suck but it's his call to make.

Jarmo will have lots of cap space to work with this summer but you can't count on trades or UFAs to spend it on if nobody wants to deal with us or sign here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok, sure, if you believe that.

You gonna be a fan of the CBJ team next year?

And, by "fan", I mean think they can make the playoffs??
This seems an arbitrary and unreasonable standard for judging whether or not one is a TROO FAN. I think it's silly to assume we're missing the playoffs too, but that doesn't mean people don't care about the team.

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
With pretty much every UFA leaving, I’d throw $8m over 6 years to see how bad Duchene wants to be the face of the franchise. If he walks, then best to you. Dzingel isn’t worth more than $2.5-3m on a short term deal.

As far as Werenski goes, he should get a contract similar to Jones. Murray I’d qualify on a one year prove you’re healthy since we have the space to play with and usually he’s on LTIR anyhow.

I’d like to take a run at Varlamov or a Brian Elliott or similar mid level goalie to help Elvis along. If the team wants to be bold, do a sign and trade of Panarin to LA for Quick and Toffoli.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We have to face a tough truth - no superstar UFA signed with us, I wouldn’t consider Horton a superstar. We never had a winner reputation and Columbus is not a city for millioner parties and beaches.

First of all, let’s not hate on Bob. Bob stayed with us for a long time - got two Vezinas, very good regular season performances, this play offs. He’s been good for us, if he wants to leave, so be it, but we can’t hate him for this.

Same goes for Bread. He was traded here and he sure as heck served his contract well setting scoring records every year, now if he’s onto something else - alright then. He told us about it straight, no Tavares style BS.

And let’s not kid ourselves, if these two leave I’m not sure Duchene will stay as well although I truly hope so. But also keep in mind he had off years when it wasn’t his contract year.

The truth is we should cherish this moment as it might take a while for us to be back here.

Reactions: akmuo33 and cslebn

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
With pretty much every UFA leaving, I’d throw $8m over 6 years to see how bad Duchene wants to be the face of the franchise. If he walks, then best to you. Dzingel isn’t worth more than $2.5-3m on a short term deal.

As far as Werenski goes, he should get a contract similar to Jones. Murray I’d qualify on a one year prove you’re healthy since we have the space to play with and usually he’s on LTIR anyhow.

I’d like to take a run at Varlamov or a Brian Elliott or similar mid level goalie to help Elvis along. If the team wants to be bold, do a sign and trade of Panarin to LA for Quick and Toffoli.

Duchene would take at least 8x8 and that still might not be enough. A 6 year deal would be laughed out of the room. Also, sign and trade of Panarin makes no sense, he’s free to sign wherever he wants, and no team is giving us assets for him. We made our bed/decision with Bread, time to deal with the consequences.

I agree we need to pursue a vet goalie to act as a mentor/place holder, but he may already be on the roster. Kinkaid should be a legit option to fill this role and I’d ask him how he feels about a one or two year contract. Trade Korpi and recoup one or two of the draft picks we lost at the deadline.

Reactions: CPTN71

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Bob and Bread are gone - no chance they stay.

Would love to keep Duchene - think he likes the city and team, but I'm sure he'll get some great offers. Worry about Nashville given his love of country music.

Not sure about Dzingel. Like his goal-scoring ability (shooting percentage this year was comparable to previous years), but there are a lot of guys that can score 20-25 goals a year. Is he dedicated on the defensive side of the ice? Maybe he doesn't want to play for Torts given his healthy scratch.

As for goalie, rolling with Elvis/Korpi is high-risk, high-reward. Wouldn't mind signing Kinkaid to a 2 or 3 year contract as sort of an insurance policy....will be an absolute necessity if they ship Korpi out.

What UFA's might the Jackets target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad