Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That's a lot of good picks to be giving up for a 32 year old winger. I'd rather keep the picks and hope to strike a deal with a UFA.

Agreed it is a lot of good picks, but this is:

1. a 32 year old winger who has never been below 0.63 points per game in any season of his 11 year career
2. a player signed through the 24-25 season. His remaining terms, starting with the 19-20 season are: $6.5 M, $4.5 M, $6.0 M, $4.5 M, $5.0 M, and $4.0 M

Even as his career starts to wind down, I think that we could safely move him back to a 3rd line RW and still get some decent value out of him. If the contract becomes a little burdensome toward the end, much rather try and ship out something less than $5.0 M per year. And, the only other added bonus is maybe picking up a few extra SO points during the year. If it doesn't take that many picks, is it of more consideration?

Maybe Oshie and Niskanen for #14, Goligoski, Fischer, and a 2020 3rd round pick? Possibly retain 15% of Goligoski's remaining deal ($870k this year, $600 k the next)? That would necessitate moving out of Connauton's deal, but I think there will be suitors for that.

Last edited:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I did not realize how badly Washington is up against the cap. As of right now, they have 8 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies signed with an estimated salary expenditure of $79.6 M. That means keeping 5 more forwards and 1 more defenseman for less than $3.4 M.

I doubt that Washington may go for this, and it doesn't necessarily fit our age range, but what about this:

2020 3rd round pick
Goligoski ($5.8 M in 19-20)
Archibald's RFA rights

for

Oshie ($6.5 M in 19-20)
Niskanen ($5.75 M in 19-20)

That clears $6.55 M in space for Washington to sign RFA forwards Archibald, Vrana, Burakovsky, Jaskin, and Stephenson. Taking Oshie out means they only have 7 forwards, so there are the 5 additional forwards to get on bridge deals (Vrana probably gets a longer term deal). Plus needing a 7th defenseman, but that may come from the minors. Also gives Washington a chance to replenish their prospect pool.

Arizona adds $6.55 M in salary. With the following roster, we would be at $72,344,444 in actual dollars:

Keller-Schmaltz-Oshie
Galchenyuk-Stepan-Hinostroza
Crouse-Dvorak-Grabner
Cousins-Richardson-Garland
Fischer

Ekman-Larsson-Demers
Chychrun-Niskanen
Oesterle-Hjalmarsson
Connauton-Lyubushkin

If we need to reduce the dollars, sell Connauton off or trade one of the RFAs not named Crouse (Cousins or Lyubushkin). Every one of those players will likely fall between $1.0 and $1.5 M.

Don't want Oshie, but I'd be happy to take Andre Burakovsky.

The Wild GM better get his head out of his ass. Boeser?? Lol!

I guess he's trying to save face after he came out on the losing end of the Coyle and Granlund deals.

Glad Chayka turned down Dvorak. Moving him for Zucker is a fireable offense IMO. There is a sizable gap between Fischer and Dvo though. I wonder if our 2nd bridges it.

This is the second time Minnesota has tried to acquire Dvorak. Two different GM's though right? Still I agree that if we traded Dvorak for Jason Zucker that would be the nail in the coffin for John Chayka.

A little bummed about Fisher, I thought he was going to be a stud when he came in this year. Looked strong and fast. Just kind of fell off the face of the world. I would do Fisher and something else for Jason Zucker, that said, I would hope that we could package something juicy around Fisher and acquire Kessel instead

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Maybe we give a player a mulligan for a bad year (for once).

Given that no reporter in Arizona has ever messed with Sarah McClellan's "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" reporting method, one would think that cranky star players would flock to Arizona, if only we had money (yeah).

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Don't want Oshie, but I'd be happy to take Andre Burakovsky.

Yes, Burakovsky would be a nice piece, but that doesn't really reduce their current dollars.

Which, by the way, with the salary cap at $83.0 M, is it actual dollars or AAV that determines the limit? I feel like I have gotten two different answers from other boards when the discussion of dealing to free cap space hits.

I would think that it was designed around actual dollars, b/c theoretically, a team could be lower than the cap floor or higher than the ceiling if contracts were arranged in such a manner. I understand the concept of preventing front or back-loaded deals for certain teams with the ability to get away with doing so. It seems like there is very much a way to still circumvent that under the current rules and within the right circumstances.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not sure which I prefer. I really like Kessel. But the second deal could be something like Kaliyev and Zucker, who is 4 years younger than Kessel.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
P.S., if we really offered Fischer for Zucker, that's about a $4 million bump. Could mean the talk of budget concerns around a Kessel deal are BS.

Reactions: Grimes

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes, Burakovsky would be a nice piece, but that doesn't really reduce their current dollars.

Which, by the way, with the salary cap at $83.0 M, is it actual dollars or AAV that determines the limit? I feel like I have gotten two different answers from other boards when the discussion of dealing to free cap space hits.

I would think that it was designed around actual dollars, b/c theoretically, a team could be lower than the cap floor or higher than the ceiling if contracts were arranged in such a manner. I understand the concept of preventing front or back-loaded deals for certain teams with the ability to get away with doing so. It seems like there is very much a way to still circumvent that under the current rules and within the right circumstances.
It is AAV that determines a team's Cap. Actual dollars paid are meaningless in discussing Cap on a yearly basis.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
THIs is where I’m at. There are a lot of players that have had a ****ty year and turned it around the following year. I think Fischer rebounds and I also believe we should give him that chance before looking to ditch him.

If ditching him means getting Kessel? I take that every single time

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
P.S., if we really offered Fischer for Zucker, that's about a $4 million bump. Could mean the talk of budget concerns around a Kessel deal are BS.

That's still a three million difference. And after I made the post of re-signing Gally it starts to make sense that adding a 7m contract may be hard with a Keller and Gally extension coming up. I think, as much as I want Kessel, I'd rather have Gally long term.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If that Fischer offer included a nice pick like 45, maybe it also included a buried KConn. Saves us 1.5m in real bucks but costs Minny only 475k in cap. I’d happily add another good draft pick to close that deal for Zucker, if it was a real possibility.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Unless the price for Kessel is ridiculously cheap I'd much rather pursue Zucker. I'd rather have Tocchet focusing his energies on our young players than having to play soothsayer to a 32 year old veteran.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wasn’t there an insider tweet in the last few days (can’t find it?) stating that the potential ownership change was standing in the way of the Kessel trade (due to budget?).

Then Elliotte Friedman tweeted that the ownership change would be discussed (as in NOT voted on) during the next BOGM?

So does that mean we have a frozen budget until the ownership transition is fully approved? If that’s true, and it it’s true that won’t happen at the next BOGM, we have a frozen budget for the draft and possibly for the start of UFA.

This might also explain why Scott Allen doesn’t have a contract yet and why we haven’t signed that additional assistant coach we’ve been talking about.

Will the timing of this ownership change cost us our ability to keep Allen, make trades at the draft, or sign players during the UFA opening?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wasn’t there an insider tweet in the last few days (can’t find it?) stating that the potential ownership change was standing in the way of the Kessel trade (due to budget?).

Then Elliotte Friedman tweeted that the ownership change would be discussed (as in NOT voted on) during the next BOGM?

So does that mean we have a frozen budget until the ownership transition is fully approved? If that’s true, and it it’s true that won’t happen at the next BOGM, we have a frozen budget for the draft and possibly for the start of UFA.

This might also explain why Scott Allen doesn’t have a contract yet and why we haven’t signed that additional assistant coach we’ve been talking about.

Will the timing of this ownership change cost us our ability to keep Allen, make trades at the draft, or sign players during the UFA opening?
The ownership vote will be a rubber stamp process. We need an agreement in principle for the budget to get a bump.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Or, maybe this reporter or who ever he is, is full of BS? I don't see why most on this board want to trade our 1st. this year and another young player in Fischer for aging stars. If I'm Chayka I would look for much younger players, like a Sam Bennett for Fischer, or like he did in the Strome / Schmaltz trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad