Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That also gets them out of a contract for a guy who can't play, you have to consider that.

I see, I think I misread you and the direction of that 2nd. I agree that the Pens are unlikely to add to Kessel for Zucker unless they're way more desperate than they should be. The Johnson/Rask swap reeks of a compromise sweetener to help make it worth Pittsburgh's while: Rask's easier to bury as a 13th forward if it comes to that, and his buyout this summer is actually quite low if they go that route. Johnson's the bigger anchor, but Minnesota was getting the best player and they're in a better position to shelter Johnson if they have to actually play him.

I'm not sure what form that sweetener takes in a 3-way trade or who's providing it, but I think Pittsburgh will still want it.

You aren't new, how can you still expect that level of spending??

It's Carl Hagelin, not Sidney Crosby. If you swap out his money for someone like Nick Cousins that probably covers most of it.

Kessel as well

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman:

My guess is Arizona would be high on his choice of destinations, but I don’t see an easy fit. The Penguins want scoring in return and the Coyotes finished 28th in goals-for.

Not sure how we can help them with scoring. I don't think Fischer is much of fit in that respect. Depending on budget, if we take Kessel for pure futures, then they can reinvest Kessel's dollars in other scoring options in UFA.

Friedman also makes a good point about Zucker. This is twice now (Calgary and Pittsburgh) where deals to send him out of Minny fell apart, so this could be a pretty motivated player.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Friedman:

My guess is Arizona would be high on his choice of destinations, but I don’t see an easy fit. The Penguins want scoring in return and the Coyotes finished 28th in goals-for.

Not sure how we can help them with scoring. I don't think Fischer is much of fit in that respect. Depending on budget, if we take Kessel for pure futures, then they can reinvest Kessel's dollars in other scoring options in UFA.

Friedman also makes a good point about Zucker. This is twice now (Calgary and Pittsburgh) where deals to send him out of Minny fell apart, so this could be a pretty motivated player.
The market for Kessel is small. Who is on his list that has cap, budget, and interest? This is a debacle in the making for Pittsburgh.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I am hoping Arizona is the only team he wants to go to. And then he 'fixes' his 8-team list to make it essentially Arizona or nothing else.

Teams 1 and 2 - Boston and Toronto - they don't want him back
Team 3 - Philadelphia - Pens' top rival
Team 4 - Ottawa - no budget for Kessel
Team 5, 6, 7 - Chicago, Tampa, Winnipeg - no cap for Kessel
Team 8 - Arizona

Could also include rebuilding teams like Detroit who have no need for Kessel at this time.

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
I am hoping Arizona is the only team he wants to go to. And then he 'fixes' his 8-team list to make it essentially Arizona or nothing else.

Teams 1 and 2 - Boston and Toronto - they don't want him back
Team 3 - Philadelphia - Pens' top rival
Team 4 - Ottawa - no budget for Kessel
Team 5, 6, 7 - Chicago, Tampa, Winnipeg - no cap for Kessel
Team 8 - Arizona

Could also include rebuilding teams like Detroit who have no need for Kessel at this time.
Preds?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Predators tried to trade for him previously. I hope they're not on his list because I think he'd go there. Nice quiet market too for a shy weirdo.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Friedman:

To PIT

Goligoski-5.475m
Zucker-5.500m

To ARI
Kessel-6.800m
Maatta-4.085m

To MIN
Connauton-1.375m(900k buried)
Fischer-0.850m
'19 ARI 2nd(45th)
'20 ARI 3rd

-Minnesota clears 4.175m in cap and picks ups Fischer, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Zucker. Allows them to make a 2nd trade for scoring or dip into UFA (Eberle, MoJo, etc)

-Pittsburgh replaces Kessel and Maatta with Zucker and Goligoski while adding only 0.09m in cap.

-Arizona replaces Fischer and Goligoski with Kessel and Maatta, while dumping Connauton, which means they add only 1.35m in actual real dollars, while giving up a 2nd and a 3rd

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The question remains is who can afford PK and what kind of salary will be coming back to the Preds. Fun times for us fans.
A team deep at scoring forwards and thin on D. The Leafs would fit the bill but not sure who the Preds would want that the Leafs would be willing to give up?? I'm not as high on PK as most so would not be willing to go all in after him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just think a change is needed, and Toronto is known for offense. Maybe there's a better option out there, but he is only one of the people rumored. Anything is an upgrade over Maclean.
Toronto let him walk because the PP was poor when you look at the options they have. That's why I asked. I think it would be just change for changes sake. Special Teams are the main reason the Leafs lost in round 1.

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hiller's PP is historically good.

18-19: 8th, Toronto
17-18: 2nd, Toronto
16-17: 2nd, Toronto
15-16: 29th, Toronto
14:15: 2nd, Detroit

The outlier year is the season Toronto tanked for Matthews.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hiller's PP is historically good.

18-19: 8th, Toronto
17-18: 2nd, Toronto
16-17: 2nd, Toronto
15-16: 29th, Toronto
14:15: 2nd, Detroit

The outlier year is the season Toronto tanked for Matthews.
Does that Leaf lineup look like a team that should have the 8th best PP? They had the same plan from Oct to Apr, that just doesn't work in the NHL. Very uncreative and never changed. Played the 1st unit way too little.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Probably, but like Rabbit said, anything is better than MacLean at this point. A top 10 finish is certainly good enough. Even if Hiller's method is flawed, it beats whatever MacLean has been trying to do for 2 years.

Even if you remove last year and the addition of Tavares, Hiller still had good results when the Toronto roster wasn't as good (Matthews and Marner still developing) and in his final year in Detroit.

Reactions: RABBIT

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Probably, but like Rabbit said, anything is better than MacLean at this point. A top 10 finish is certainly good enough. Even if Hiller's method is flawed, it beats whatever MacLean has been trying to do for 2 years.

Even if you remove last year and the addition of Tavares, Hiller still had good results when the Toronto roster wasn't as good (Matthews and Marner still developing) and in his final year in Detroit.
I'm certainly not pushing for status quo but I think you can do better than a guy who has all world talent and has the 8th best PP and a major reason the Leafs are golfing right now. If he can only get Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Rielly to 8th how do you think he would do with our guys? Aim higher I say. The Leafs had the most predictable PP in the League this year and only talent made him look better than he was. Exposed greatly by Boston in playoffs for both Special Teams. Both guys leading are now gone.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
We only have Galchenyuk another year, how sure are we he's staying?

I'd be pretty willing to bet that we re-sign him this year. He seems pretty comfortable in Arizona, he seems to like it here. Low pressure environment and an awesome place to live. I think he was finding his groove towards the end of last season as well.

I would absolutely not sacrifice Alex Galchenyuk for Phil Kessel. If acquired, i think we get maybe one or two good years out of him before his age starts to catch up. He also kind of seems like he's gotten to the point where he's very choosy on what he wants to do in his career. What if something doesn't go right with Tocchet and we fire him? Does Phil want out?

Kessel has peaked. Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling at this point. If we want goals, we need to be adding to Galchenyuk, not looking to temporarily upgrade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad