Speculation: 2019 Offseason: Panarin, Stone, Duchene or None?

Who would you choose?

• Panarin

• Stone

• Duchene

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Yep. There is really no incentive to play for the Blackhawks. Cup window is out the door. Does Stone, Panarin, etc. want to play for a rebuild at a discount? Not happening.

Only chance Stan gets any of them is via overpaying and outbidding the competition and that means lots of years and No movement clause tacked on for good measure.

However Panarin has supposedly reported he wanted NY,LA or Chicago. How are either of those franchises in better shape than the Hawks

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, Panarin is getting a NMC if he signs here. No way he signs without it.
I think he gets that wherever he signs..and if it is us then so be it...

but I agree with the theme as well, AA should not have gotten a NTC at all...if we resign Gus, he should not get anything like that either...same with DeBrincat, he has to prove he can play at that level longer term to get that - yes I said it, Cat should NOT get a NTC/NMC until after this contract.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Generally speaking, I agree. But the question is, and we'll never know the answer, is do you get anything for giving the NMC/NTC? Take Cat, since he's up next. Would you give him a NMC if it meant he'd take a half a mil less per season? What if it was a full mil per season?

I can why it might be in a teams best interest to give them out from time to time, but as fans we will never have all the info.
Cat can't get one until he's 26, so I don't give him one until his 26th+ year if it means saving a mil. But a 32yr old Seabrook? A just traded for hasn't even played on the team yet, Anisimov? A shit goalie like Cam Ward? Marcus f***ing Kruger? Chris I'm old as hell Kunitz? Those don't make any sense. Find a different player that doesn't care about a NMC/NTC.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Generally speaking, I agree. But the question is, and we'll never know the answer, is do you get anything for giving the NMC/NTC? Take Cat, since he's up next. Would you give him a NMC if it meant he'd take a half a mil less per season? What if it was a full mil per season?

I can why it might be in a teams best interest to give them out from time to time, but as fans we will never have all the info.

Yeah, I’d rather have the discount and give the NMC. But on a second long term deal like Seabrook, there has to be a way out. Same with Toews and Kane next time they come up.

Anisimov type players should get no NMC or NTC at all. Not even for a discount. The Hawks are the only team that hands them out to almost everyone. Nashville only gave one to Rinne and that’s because he signed many millions below market value.

Just speculation, but I think Poile and Lombardi have/had a policy of not giving out NMCs/NTCs and players respect that. The Hawks have the opposite situation. If you’re signing with the Hawks, do you want to be the only veteran without a NMC/NTC? May as well have a bag already packed in that case.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Cat can't get one until he's 26, so I don't give him one until his 26th+ year if it means saving a mil. But a 32yr old Seabrook? A just traded for hasn't even played on the team yet, Anisimov? A **** goalie like Cam Ward? Marcus ****ing Kruger? Chris I'm old as hell Kunitz? Those don't make any sense. Find a different player that doesn't care about a NMC/NTC.

There's no question that Stan has given them out to liberally and you would rather not give them than give them obviously. But I was just pointing out that it's not an absolute across the board. There are scenarios where it makes sense.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There's no question that Stan has given them out to liberally and you would rather not give them than give them obviously. But I was just pointing out that it's not an absolute across the board. There are scenarios where it makes sense.
Agreed. Cat looks like a guy I would have no problem with it. But he needs to be a little more consistent before I hand it to him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’m fine with that. As my post above implies, everyone will be getting NMCs/NTCs from here on out, the cat is already out of the bag.
or the door gets shut and the party is over.

you know who can hand those types of contracts out?? teams that are winning cups, when that stops so does the candy. I think moving forward the party is over and the players know it - if I am wrong I will eat crow and bash Bowman for it (outside of Panarin of course), but I doubt anyone thinks they are going to get that type of contract on a bottom feeder or team missing the playoffs.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
or the door gets shut and the party is over.

you know who can hand those types of contracts out?? teams that are winning cups, when that stops so does the candy. I think moving forward the party is over and the players know it - if I am wrong I will eat crow and bash Bowman for it (outside of Panarin of course), but I doubt anyone thinks they are going to get that type of contract on a bottom feeder or team missing the playoffs.

Hope you’re right. Someone like Dzingel would be a good litmus test. IMO, he shouldn’t even get a limited NTC, let alone a NMC like AA got. We’ll find out soon. That’s what Bowman needs to do, establish a new normal.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hope you’re right. Someone like Dzingel would be a good litmus test. IMO, he shouldn’t even get a limited NTC, let alone a NMC like AA got. We’ll find out soon. That’s what Bowman needs to do, establish a new normal.
agreed. it is in his court now to right the past wrongs and make sure we are not hindered again with moving players or having to "ask" for them to be waived for our 3rd line/3rd pairing guys...yikes...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A top FA is getting a NMC 100% of the time. Panarin, Stone, Duchene and Karlsson will all get one.
agreed, we are saying that the Anisimov, Saad, Gus, Cat's etc of the world cannot get those anymore...top UFA's are going to get what they want, if that is what it takes to land them then do it...but for your own guys, that shit needs to stop unless his name is Jack f***ing Hughes from here on out.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
I would rule out Karlsson simply because we have a lot more top end D prospects than forward ones (plus we have too many D-men as it is). Our biggest need in a few years will be forward scoring depth, not quality defensemen.

I would prefer Panarin or Stone to Duchene simply because the former two are better players and are natural wingers, but it depends on how much money they demand as well. We can't really afford to go that crazy in Free Agency even if we trade Saad or Anisimov simply because the year after we will have to pay Strome and Cat, and with Matthews setting the bar you'd better prepare for those guys getting paid.

For example if the choices are:
Panarin at 11m vs Stone at 9.5m vs Duchene at 8m

I would pass on Panarin and have a difficult choice between Stone and Duchene. After all, contract efficiency is a very real consideration as well.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Do the Toews-Kane and DeBrincat-Strome lines each need a Tom Wilson/Bryan Bickell type winger?

Mark Stone could be the hyper-skilled version of that.

Some other potential options:

Mike Ferland
Josh Anderson (would probably cost a lot to trade for)

Who else could fit that prototype?

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Only going by highlights, but man Panarin is really a smooth skater with a rocket shot. I don't know how we can take Stone over him ATM. Just my 2 cents..

Kid A Plus

Feb 23, 2013
West Hollywood, CA
He played with Toews' younger brother in juniors FYI.

And I'd take either of the 3 if the price is right. Preferably Stone since the Hawks need all the defensive wingers they can get to help the D (his size is an added bonus) and he is the closest thing to Hossa that you are ever going to get.

Problem is he's close to 30+ hawks Hossa and he's 26. I would def take for the next 3 years, but when he loses a step there is gonna be a big drop off... and if it's 6 or 7 year deal Panarin is gonna pay off way more than over the course of the whole contract.

What I would do is sign brandon saad to a six year deal and tell brent seabrook thanks for the great decade you were fairly compensated for... best of luck at you next stop... then give artemi panarin the contract Seabs wanted but I would never be dumb enough to do that.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The question us should hawks spend 8-10 million on a star free agent signing for 7 years OR prepare the big hauls D-Cat and Stone will command on their extentions after next season?

Strime isxon a 71 points pace if you project his numbers from the 31st games with the Hawks over 82 games ...what if he us even better next season. .maybe 85 points as our 2C?He gonna get OAID...

D-Cat gonna get paid too..

1 more cheap season for both then big moolah or offer sheets of we drag on extentions.

This means only should add 1 yr contract help for next season till everyone knows new CBA rules and who gets compliance bought outs.

However ..if Hawks are CERTAIN there would be 2 compliance buy-outs given before any portion of 2020/21 season begins ...then and only then should they constrain themselves with adding an $8-10million a set for next season and 6 more after that!!!

As to Duchesne ...add as rental for Cup run now if he decides he is going Ufa by deadline?Maybe. .if the price is just a 2nd this year and a mid round pick if we advance past round 1 of playoffs And a 1st in 2020 draft if we sign Duchene to a new contract ...or. if t
The price is Foruling, a mud-round r. And a 2nd and 4th in 2020 if we sign Duchene before he gets ts to Ufa .

But realize that Duchene is shooting above 20% this season...never done this before...so extending him and signing force seasons could be a huge mistake longer term..As a rental hope to help us get in and then in a Cup run...if his exceptional shooting continues the rest of this season..as a rental he could reply help as a 3C...

He has 18 g in EVEN play ..only 4 g and 4a on the pp...So only 8 of 50 points he has are pp points. .and he would Not play any PP for us. ..
But no question he would make our 3rd line a scoring g threat..

Saad Duchene Kahn (or add another RW rental).

My point is nobody expected us to make a run for a playoff spot..Maybe we should be adding Rentals? BUT not at the expense of any first rounder just for a rental ..other picks and prospect assets OK ...bit do not overpay just for a rental.

Duchene would help a lot in Even play as a scoring threat and to drive a 3rd line ..
No doubt about that.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The more I think about it I don't know if I am on board with signing Panarin. The hawks already have a better pure scorer at his position on the powerplay and the hawks play their PP1 3/4 of the time. Though a Panarin/Toews/Kane line is scary as hell I don't think its worth the investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad