Speculation: 2019 Offseason: Panarin, Stone, Duchene or None?

Who would you choose?

• Panarin

• Stone

• Duchene

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's probably never going to happen, but IF Stan's heat is getting hot, he could always through the old boys club under the bus and start offer-sheeting players hitting RFA. I'd throw an offer sheet at Trouba. Winnipeg is coming up on a cap crunch, offer him even a little more than they'd like to in order to fit in all their other RFAs, and you could squeeze them. Plus, all the smoke coming out of Winnipeg is that Trouba still isn't exactly enthralled with how he's been handled over his career there.

I’d be all for that. GM’s don’t send out offersheets though, or at least it’s not very common/made public

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I’d be all for that. GM’s don’t send out offersheets though, or at least it’s not very common/made public

Yeah, which irritates me.

The other possibility is pulling what CBJ was rumored to do with Saad. Instead of just offer-sheeting, you call them ahead of time and say 'hey, just a heads up, we're planning to offer sheet your player... so if you'd rather have an NHL contributor that can help you now, rather than picks that can help you down the road, let's make a deal first'.

The thing is, Chevy is such a patient GM, I'm not sure he wouldn't rather have the picks. But maybe he takes one of the young D prospects in the pipeline or something.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's probably never going to happen, but IF Stan's heat is getting hot, he could always through the old boys club under the bus and start offer-sheeting players hitting RFA. I'd throw an offer sheet at Trouba. Winnipeg is coming up on a cap crunch, offer him even a little more than they'd like to in order to fit in all their other RFAs, and you could squeeze them. Plus, all the smoke coming out of Winnipeg is that Trouba still isn't exactly enthralled with how he's been handled over his career there.

I'm not against getting a forward in FA, I just think Stone does more for the team than Panarin does as far as both matchups and team-defense. All that in addition to only scoring roughly 10 fewer points 5v5 per season than Panarin over the last 3 seasons (or roughly 15 points less per season including PP, but the Blackhawks actually have a functional PP now, it seems, so that could change).

Trouba would be a PERFECT fit.

Reactions: Blue Liner

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think anyone wants to rush anything. The rebuild is likely over as of the end of this season and the draft pick that comes with it. This team will be too good to draft in the top 5 or top 10 after this season, so essentially, this is the year of the "Hossa signing" for the Hawks. Go after Stone hard, IMO. I want him far more than I want Panarin.
1) The team is a paper tiger now. Patrick Kane and a deadly powerplay are not good enough to do damage in the playoffs. It's why I asked where people would like to see Panarin slotted in the lineup if he's signed. You could put him with Kane or put him on a different line and spread out the elite offense.

2) I would hope the Blackhawks are finished rebuilding after this season anyway. A full season of Colliton Blackhawks likely makes them a playoff team and they'd be much too high in the standings to be drafting big talents. We'll likely have a high draft pick this year, after picking Boqvist last season, as well as a lot of good prospects. How much more rebuild are you expecting? They won't be a Cup contender next season by any means, but they'll very likely be a good team and hang around the top 8 in the West.

3) The only big names that'll need to be signed very soon are DeBrincat, maybe Strome. Gus is still unknown. With Kieth/Seabrook/Murphy/Gustafsson on the roster the next 2-3 years there isn't a lot of room for defenseman getting big contracts anyway. Crawford is likely off the books in 2 years, if not LTIR'd, Saad and Anisimov possibly gone as well. There is simultaneously no cap space issue and no need to worry about signing our young talent.

4) Again, premier talent entering a UFA class is such a rarity. It has to be taken advantage of.

Trading Saad and/or Anisimov would open up even more cap space. The only thing that I think might mess everything up is signing Panarin alone and doing nothing to strengthen the defense or defense prospect pool. If we can’t get a defenseman for Saad and Anisimov, get more prospects or picks to be used on them. Then we can sign Panarin and have enough in the cupboard where we’ll just have to wait for the cavalry to show up. The team needs Stone more than Panarin. I think if they both hit UFA, we should sign both.

The Hawks have a decent prospect pool, but it still needs some more injecting before we start using assets to become buyers. IMO, Bowman needs to be an aggressive seller at the deadline to set us up for free agency and beyond.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Trading Saad and/or Anisimov would open up even more cap space. The only thing that I think might mess everything up is signing Panarin alone and doing nothing to strengthen the defense or defense prospect pool. If we can’t get a defenseman for Saad and Anisimov, get more prospects or picks to be used on them. Then we can sign Panarin and have enough in the cupboard where we’ll just have to wait for the cavalry to show up. The team needs Stone more than Panarin. I think if they both hit UFA, we should sign both.

The Hawks have a decent prospect pool, but it still needs some more injecting before we start using assets to become buyers. IMO, Bowman needs to be an aggressive seller at the deadline to set us up for free agency and beyond.

You have to take some salary back moving either of Saad or AA, IMO. You're talking around 19m in salary for Panarin + Stone. Don't think it's possible, honestly.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly. So why can’t they trade one or both of Saad or Anisimov and use that cap space for Artemi?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Exactly. So why can’t they trade one or both of Saad or Anisimov and use that cap space for Artemi?

They could possibly make it work, depending on how much salary you take back for Saad and/or AA, but I wouldn't count on it. That's a whole lot of work to move both AA and Saad, and then convince both Panarin and Stone to come here, and then not lose Strome or DeBrincat because they can't afford to pay them.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You have to take some salary back moving either of Saad or AA, IMO. You're talking around 19m in salary for Panarin + Stone. Don't think it's possible, honestly.

If Crawford has to go to make it work, so be it. I’m not sure what we would have to add to move him, but I’d do it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If Crawford has to go to make it work, so be it. I’m not sure what we would have to add to move him, but I’d do it.

When do you get to a point where you're moving too many pieces out to fit a couple new ones in? Filling one hole by creating others = not a winning strategy. This is bad management, IMO.

Reactions: RayP

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
When do you get to a point where you're moving too many pieces out to fit a couple new ones in? Filling one hole by creating others = not a winning strategy. This is bad management, IMO.

Stone is an upgrade over Saad. Panarin is a free addition from the outside. Crawford and his cap hit have no place on the team if Delia is the starter. He’s getting up there anyway and is too injury prone. Plus, we’d be adding assets for Saad. He has value, maybe it is just a cheaper forward, nevertheless, these are all net gains.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I love Panarin but I think Stone is the better player. Panarin is no doubt more dynamic but Stone’s all around game is so good, and if he’s gonna be cheaper I’m all in. Thing is I think he’s gonna get traded at the deadline and he seems much more likely to sign with the team that trades for him.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Stone is an upgrade over Saad. Panarin is a free addition from the outside. Crawford and his cap hit have no place on the team if Delia is the starter. He’s getting up there anyway and is too injury prone. Plus, we’d be adding assets for Saad. He has value, maybe it is just a cheaper forward, nevertheless, these are all net gains.

Who is the backup? How do you pay him? What assets for Saad? You're likely taking salary back in a Saad trade, not just getting a pick or picks for him. Same for AA. How do you sign Strome and DeBrincat the following season with very little space? Is Crawford on LTIR? Do you think they can trade a questionably healthy goalie with a 6m cap hit?

I mean, these are all nice pipedreams, but I think they're simply that.

There's no way this team brings in both Panarin and Stone. It's just not going to happen. There is far too much that would have to lean heavily in the Hawks favor to make it happen.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Who is the backup and how do you pay him if Crawford isn't here?

Backup goalies have been signing for near minimum salary lately. I’d prefer to bring Nalimov over and get another Hutton/Darling type looking for their shot starting in Rockford in case anyone falters with the big club. In either case, it should be someone dirt cheap. Use all of the cap space on the skaters IMO.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Backup goalies have been signing for near minimum salary lately. I’d prefer to bring Nalimov over and get another Hutton/Darling type looking for their shot starting in Rockford in case anyone falters with the big club. In either case, it should be someone dirt cheap. Use all of the cap space on the skaters IMO.

It takes a really good backup to win a Cup. Not just some scrub.

And what backups have signed for near minimum?

Looking at this list, I'd say most backups are anywhere from 1.5m - 3.5m.

NHL Rankings

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It takes a really good backup to win a Cup. Not just some scrub.

And what backups have signed for near minimum?

Looking at this list, I'd say most backups are anywhere from 1.5m - 3.5m.

NHL Rankings

DeSmith and Copley recently. At the end of the day, the backup isn’t expected to play in the playoffs. I would prefer to cycle through younger goalies than sign a veteran, but given how much help we need with the skaters, if a corner needs to be cut, I think it should be at backup goalie as opposed to the bottom 6 or defensemen.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
DeSmith and Copley recently. At the end of the day, the backup isn’t expected to play in the playoffs. I would prefer to cycle through younger goalies than sign a veteran, but given how much help we need with the skaters, if a corner needs to be cut, I think it should be at backup goalie as opposed to the bottom 6 or defensemen.

If your starter goes down for an extended period and you have a shit backup you may miss the playoffs as a result...

Sorry I'm not trying to pick on you. I just don't agree with your strategy at all. Not with D being the weakness on this team. You need two solid goalies. Now if it was trade for Trouba and sign Stone... that's different.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If your starter goes down for an extended period and you have a **** backup you may miss the playoffs as a result...

Sorry I'm not trying to pick on you. I just don't agree with your strategy at all.

Agree to disagree, no need to apologize. I’m just laying out the formula for contending quickly as I see it. A corner will be cut if we try to do it so rapidly, it’s just a question of where.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I honestly think we have zero shot at Stone. If the reports of him getting traded are true, then whatever team that trades for him likely is not doing so for a rental. I doubt he hits the market one way or another, he is exactly what every team in the league covets.

Panarin we obviously have a chance on and would welcome him back to play with his buddies. But I think the logical target would be Dzingel as a player that will cost less than Saad did but offer us 20 plus goal scoring ability and decent play away from the puck. I would try and trade for him as he isn't your typical overpaid UFA...dude is 26 years old and has performed admirably each year in that Ottawa mess. Local boy and all, he would be my target that adds another top 6/9 player to our team, helps a bit away from the puck and still keeps cap space open to get someone on defense.

Then we know at least 2 of Kurashev, Barratt, Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin and Entwistle (Highmore too)will make this team next year and this team looks a hell of a lot more competitive overall with space still to add at the deadline.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Trouba is nice in theory, but it just perpetuates the RHD logjam they have already. Unless you're willing to move Joki or Mitchell, or scratch KFCeabs on a nightly basis it just isn't palatable. They should target someone like Cam Fowler instead. As a matter of fact, if the Hawks traded for Fowler at the deadline, I think that would be a decent pickup. They'd have to move out AA though for Cap purposes. Signing Strome and DeBrincat will be a huge deal after next season. They're both going to get paid. Fowler has 7 more years at 6.5 M AAV though. It would be a gamble.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I honestly think we have zero shot at Stone. If the reports of him getting traded are true, then whatever team that trades for him likely is not doing so for a rental. I doubt he hits the market one way or another, he is exactly what every team in the league covets.

Panarin we obviously have a chance on and would welcome him back to play with his buddies. But I think the logical target would be Dzingel as a player that will cost less than Saad did but offer us 20 plus goal scoring ability and decent play away from the puck. I would try and trade for him as he isn't your typical overpaid UFA...dude is 26 years old and has performed admirably each year in that Ottawa mess. Local boy and all, he would be my target that adds another top 6/9 player to our team, helps a bit away from the puck and still keeps cap space open to get someone on defense.

Then we know at least 2 of Kurashev, Barratt, Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin and Entwistle (Highmore too)will make this team next year and this team looks a hell of a lot more competitive overall with space still to add at the deadline.

Dzingel as a Saad replacement would work. The main thing for me is trading some people on the roster for assets and replacing those players with free agents. It allows for a 2 for 1 scenario where the talent pool gets exponentially better rapidly.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Collin Delia has played 13 games in his NHL career, can we maybe take a lesson from the Scott Darling nonsense and get a larger sample before we decide to move Crawford based on a hope and a prayer?
can't move Crow anyway, nobody is taking him period. he is ours until his contract ends, so either he plays like a #1 or backs up the kid next year.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
can't move Crow anyway, nobody is taking him period. he is ours until his contract ends, so either he plays like a #1 or backs up the kid next year.
Crow's contract isn't an issue. We have cap space this summer and it expires next year. However, I'd rather see him retire for his long term health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad