Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lmao caps are gone too.

On one hand, we could've had an "easy" route. On the other hand, these teams played with heart.
Ehhh with Boston having been next and potentially the NYI in the ECF that just sucks. Realistically what are the odds the injury bug would have struck us more than it already did?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I agree with all suggesting the Lightning effort was woefully short of all other teams. Truly disappointing.

Also, I’m amazed at the lack of penalties called. The Lightning core is just not built for this.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Ehhh with Boston having been next and potentially the NYI in the ECF that just sucks. Realistically what are the odds the injury bug would have struck us more than it already did?

I can't subscribe to that line of thinking. At the start of the playoffs, if you'd been told that the Lightning's ECF opponent would've been the Islanders, as opposed to Washington or Pittsburgh, you would've sprinted as fast as you can to the sign-up sheet for that. The Islanders played an impressive first round series against the Penguins; all the credit to them. Really well done and deserved. But if we're going to start thinking "gee whiz I dunno" about the Islanders as a potential playoff opponent, then we were always in more trouble than we realized before the playoffs began, because the Islanders don't have anywhere near the talent this team has. On paper (I know), Lightning/Islanders should've had "Lightning in 5" written all over it. All due respect. And it's one of the many deserved criticisms for the Lightning that they didn't give themselves a chance to have that opportunity.

(And you can switch Islanders out for Hurricanes and much of the same still applies, fwiw.)

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It's kind of depressing watching these playoffs. Hockey is honestly too random of a sport. It's fine when your team isn't that good but when you have a historically good team and still only have a 25% chance to win the cup it's kinda annoying.

Reactions: Kusic

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It's kind of depressing watching these playoffs. Hockey is honestly too random of a sport. It's fine when your team isn't that good but when you have a historically good team and still only have a 25% chance to win the cup it's kinda annoying.
Yep. Seriously what’s the point of the regular season?

The officiating is a big facto. People get away with murder in the playoffs.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's not like outcome of the series was random. It wasn't an even series where a few bounces decided the outcome. We were dominated, Columbus was better in each of the 4 games. If we repeat that series with the same effort and execution from both teams, Columbus wins 9 times out of 10.

I get that you're upset. But don't be angry at the sport and its randomness, that's silly. Be angry at the team that sucked and got dominated in the series.

Reactions: Hoek

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
It's not like outcome of the series was random. It wasn't an even series where a few bounces decided the outcome. We were dominated, Columbus was better in each of the 4 games. If we repeat that series with the same effort and execution from both teams, Columbus wins 9 times out of 10.

I get that you're upset. But don't be angry at the sport and its randomness, that's silly. Be angry at the team that sucked and got dominated in the series.
I agree that regardless of the two rule books, there is no excuse for getting outworked. If you have the arrogance to think you can get by on talent and don’t put in the effort, you deserve to lose. But the reason to be pissed off about the two rule books is that it directly affects how you build a team and what style of play you choose and what philosophy or team identity you adapt. The team identity the Lightning management and coaching staff has chosen works under one rule book but not under the other. They are too one dimensional and seem to fail to accept the reality that there are two rule books and you need to build a team and have a strategy that can succeed under both.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I agree that regardless of the two rule books, there is no excuse for getting outworked. If you have the arrogance to think you can get by on talent and don’t put in the effort, you deserve to lose. But the reason to be pissed off about the two rule books is that it directly affects how you build a team and what style of play you choose and what philosophy or team identity you adapt. The team identity the Lightning management and coaching staff has chosen works under one rule book but not under the other. They are too one dimensional and seem to fail to accept the reality that there are two rule books and you need to build a team and have a strategy that can succeed under both.
There is definitely something to the different set of rules from regular season to playoffs making a difference. Take a look at the special team stats from the first round. We only got 6 PP opportunities. That's 1.5 power play opportunities per game. San Jose on the other hand, they had and average of 5 opportunities per game. And that's with that 5 minute major counting as only 1.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe that's why we lost. We lost because we had no heart and didn't put in the effort we needed to win. And we allowed Columbus to score 5 goals on their 10 PP opportunities. And Cooper didn't make proper adjustments or properly motivate the boys...the list goes on and on.

I do think we were unfairly penalized because our forwards are on the smaller side and referees were chalking up our guys getting interfered with, hooked, tripped, and so on as just being "playoff hockey". It's a joke to me. The rules should be applied the same way, at all times.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I will say that having seen the Solar Bears change from a more Toronto styled game to a skill+grind game in just the last few years has changed the tone of penalties. It felt like the rougher teams committing more penalties weren't getting them, while OSB was getting nailed at every opportunity. Once the team adopted a grittier game, the penalties began to seem fairer.

There's some serious Overton Window action happening with the refs.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
From today’s Joe Smith article

“Size is the last of our criteria that we worry about. We don’t want to be the smallest team in the NHL, but we want to have smart, competitive, fast people.” – Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The reffing in these playoffs have just further highlighted how bad the reffing is in this sport. It's bad enough the calls through the regular season are already inconsistent AF, but when you have a series clinching game completely changed by a bad call and then such a huge penalty difference between teams in different series, it just illustrates an officiating crew that is not on the same page and just calls a game how they prefer it to be played vs calling it to the actual rule book.

Reactions: Hoek

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
From today’s Joe Smith article

“Size is the last of our criteria that we worry about. We don’t want to be the smallest team in the NHL, but we want to have smart, competitive, fast people.” – Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray
Which is fine from a scout. He's just saying he's not gonna scoop up a 6'4 220 guy with a 7 skillset over a 5'11 170 guy with an 8 skillset.

As long as the GM of the team builds properly around those guys, which ours haven't really addressed outside of the blueline.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Which is fine from a scout. He's just saying he's not gonna scoop up a 6'4 220 guy with a 7 skillset over a 5'11 170 guy with an 8 skillset.

As long as the GM of the team builds properly around those guys, which ours haven't really addressed outside of the blueline.
Al Murray also was Dir. of Amateur Scouting for the LA Kings for like 15 years, so it's a matter of direction.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We gotta be able to get to a game 7 for him to be useful.
The problem is that there's 82 of them.

I don't see Williams leaving Carolina now. He chose Carolina when no one expected it, became captain, and he was the catalyst for the Storm Surge. He's Mr. Hurricane at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad