Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 6

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I actually agree with both of these points. I don't see Shatty on the third pairing and I don't think Cernak will be pried from Mac's side (though I'd like to see what he'd do with Hedman). So I can see Sergachev being the one pushed down to the third pairing. He and Coburn worked well together.

That being said, a Hedman/Shattenkirik pairing does fill me with great fear and trepidation. :puppy:

Well Shattenkirk should be better than some other recent players besides Stralman who have paired with Hedman. He might be a better option there than maybe even Sergachev. I do think Cernak would be a great partner for Hedman but its hard to split up McDonagh and him.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well Shattenkirk should be better than some other recent players besides Stralman who have paired with Hedman. He might be a better option there than maybe even Sergachev. I do think Cernak would be a great partner for Hedman but its hard to split up McDonagh and him.
No it's not. Watch me -

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Shattenkirk/Sergachev

See? Easy, and makes more sense from a balance perspective. We f***ing handcuff arguably our best player by making him drag around shit and it's f***ing stupid.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No it's not. Watch me -

Hedman - Cernak

See? Easy, and makes more sense from a balance perspective. We ****ing handcuff arguably our best player by making him drag around **** and it's ****ing stupid.

Well yea but lets see Coop do that or whoever is in charge of the D. Cernak and McD were great together last year, its easy to split them up by just doing it but it goes back to that saying if it isnt broken dont fix it. They may think that with Cernak and McD.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
No it's not. Watch me -

Hedman - Cernak

See? Easy, and makes more sense from a balance perspective. We ****ing handcuff arguably our best player by making him drag around **** and it's ****ing stupid.
I can't remember--who was Duncan Keith's partner the year he was skating around the entire league (and us)? Was it Timmonen that year?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
No it's not. Watch me -

Hedman - Cernak

At training camp the idea would be to push Serge in that position to see how he does with McDonagh. Like this is the year he needs to step up another notch, for him and the team. On the other hand, his best partner by a country mile is Coburn. Personally I don't want Shattenkirk to play more than 16 minutes a game, but if Serge shits the bed, then I guess Shattenkirk goes up with McDonagh.

But also we need to be prepared for a slump for Cernak. Just in case he comes back down to earth like Dotchin did, then we might have an issue with the right side.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
At training camp the idea would be to push Serge in that position to see how he does with McDonagh. Like this is the year he needs to step up another notch, for him and the team. On the other hand, his best partner by a country mile is Coburn. Personally I don't want Shattenkirk to play more than 16 minutes a game, but if Serge ****s the bed, then I guess Shattenkirk goes up with McDonagh.

But also we need to be prepared for a slump for Cernak. Just in case he comes back down to earth like Dotchin did, then we might have an issue with the right side.
I understand the concern of a slump from Cernak but I honestly don't see it happening. That dude was as solid of a D-man as I saw play last year. I did not see him succumb to the pressures of a decent forecheck the way Sergachev did, time and time again. He was rock-solid and I don't feel it was due to any protection being provided by McDonagh. I think Cernak, if anything, is going to expand his game a little bit more offensively this year more so than anything else.. and frankly, I'm pretty excited to see his development..

Reactions: DFC and Max McBolt

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I understand the concern of a slump from Cernak but I honestly don't see it happening. That dude was as solid of a D-man as I saw play last year. I did not see him succumb to the pressures of a decent forecheck the way Sergachev did, time and time again. He was rock-solid and I don't feel it was due to any protection being provided by McDonagh. I think Cernak, if anything, is going to expand his game a little bit more offensively this year more so than anything else.. and frankly, I'm pretty excited to see his development..
I agree, but its never a bad idea to have a contingency plan. Slotting in Cernak to play an extra 4ish minutes a game might be a bit much. I do think he could most likely handle it, but 4 minutes more a game is quite a bit.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If this season goes bust I want to see us adopt a new mentality. No more of this fun for the whole family team that can't win anything. I don't mean we need the return of Broad St Bullies but I mean a team that's more mean, aggressive and intimidating to play against. Think 2002 Bucs and how they played with swagger. We would need a new coach and more roster turnover (oh the humanity) but I'm at the point where I would welcome Tortorella back with open arms because he would breed the kind of culture I'm taking about. The Cooper/Stamkos relationship just is not winning playoff games in crunch time

I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about a team with so much talent but I don't think they have that winning edge to them. I don't see a team that thrives on "You go back out there and kick their ass" but maybe I'm wrong

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This could maybe go into the Water Street thread, but an energy team made up of both men and women probably has more utility than an all-female cheer squad IMO. If I could only have one or the other, it'd be an energy team.

edit: based on their description, it seems like it's just merging everything together in to one group.
Actors, performers, hosts/emcees, athletes, dancers, cheer squad members and in-field marketers are encouraged to audition

It looks like the Roar Corps basically.

edit 8/26
Something I realized tonight is that based on the small sampling of co-ed NHL energy teams I've looked at: they don't carry poms.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At training camp the idea would be to push Serge in that position to see how he does with McDonagh. Like this is the year he needs to step up another notch, for him and the team. On the other hand, his best partner by a country mile is Coburn. Personally I don't want Shattenkirk to play more than 16 minutes a game, but if Serge ****s the bed, then I guess Shattenkirk goes up with McDonagh.

We can usually find ways to manage D minutes, regardless of their partner. Sustr used to play with Hedman, but we still limited his minutes. I think the same would happen with Shattenkirk in that spot.

I think we have to make a big decision on Serg this year, and I hope he makes that decision easy, one way or the other.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
We can usually find ways to manage D minutes, regardless of their partner. Sustr used to play with Hedman, but we still limited his minutes. I think the same would happen with Shattenkirk in that spot.

I think we have to make a big decision on Serg this year, and I hope he makes that decision easy, one way or the other.
Yeah, this is make or break for him. Long shot is BriseBois surprises everyone and signs him to an early extension on a low bridge deal at like 3 million

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, this is make or break for him. Long shot is BriseBois surprises everyone and signs him to an early extension on a low bridge deal at like 3 million

Yeah, at 3 I'm willing to wait a couple more years to see how it pans out. Anything more, and there's just too much risk it would cost us somebody more established. It would be really nice and Sergachev and Cernak were at around the same level by season's end. I mean, we'd still have to make a decision, probably, because we're gonna have so many RFAs up. But at that point it might make more sense to keep both of them and move some forwards out, given the organization's depth up front. Best case scenario is a top-4 of Hedman, McD, Cernak, and Sergachev for the foreseeable future. Sergachev really needs to lock down that role. Cernak too, but it feels more like a formality in his case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad