Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 6

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Lightning one of the favorites for Puljujarvi?

That would be a mistake on our end. Guys like Joseph and Cirelli have already proven more in 1/3 the game time and are already far more productive. And this guy is holding out for a top 6 spot somewhere and has already said as much. My God the crap we gave the much better Drouin (who went on to produce in that spot) over near the same thing??

If he goes on to have a solid career elsewhere then good for him but I don't want JBB to waste his time on this

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
That would be a mistake on our end. Guys like Joseph and Cirelli have already proven more in 1/3 the game time and are already far more productive. And this guy is holding out for a top 6 spot somewhere and has already said as much. My God the crap we gave the much better Drouin (who went on to produce in that spot) over near the same thing??

If he goes on to have a solid career elsewhere then good for him but I don't want JBB to waste his time on this

We could just put him in the ahl for now. From my understanding he just wants out of Edmonton. Doubt he is stupid enough to think he has a guaranteed top 6 spot on any team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We could just put him in the ahl for now. From my understanding he just wants out of Edmonton. Doubt he is stupid enough to think he has a guaranteed top 6 spot on any team.

I think he would have to clear waivers to go to Syracuse which he wouldnt clear. I could see him staying over there for a year then next year we give him a shot in camp.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'll just go ahead and post this masterpiece

0.jpg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
JP is like a "AAAA" player. Too good for the minors but not good enough for the big leagues. To his credit he always did well in the AHL but unfortunately it's not an option anymore because he's no longer waiver exempt. If the Lightning actually make this trade JP needs to stay in Finland for the whole year.
I watch the Oilers almost as much as the Lightning purely for McDavid and this is the deal on Jesse

-He has no confidence right now. Keep him in Karpat til it comes back.

-Gets the yips carrying the puck. However, I think that's a confidence issue

-He is too slow to predict the play.

-Post hip surgery on both hips

-Questionable work ethic towards learning English per reports of the Oiler organization

This is a long term project. JP has a wealth of talent but he is a mess. People rightfully shit on how the Oilers handled him but JP has not demonstrated aptitude for the NHL level and I have doubts that seasoning in the minors would have truly made the difference.

He has made a career of being more physically dominant than everyone else. Now that he can't do it anymore he's struggling

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We get linked to every single available player. I think it's click bait targeted at Torontonians who are like, "how the f--- can they fit him under the cap!? F---ing taxes! The CBA needs to--" etc etc

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The one way this makes sense is as a long-term move. We're probably gonna have to shed a lot of salary next year, and he might be an able replacement by then. Gotta trust that the scouts see something in him, if this is in any way legit.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, the only way it works for us is if we keep him in Finland. We couldn't bring him over and fit him the top 9. We couldn't send him to Syracuse. Finland also becomes a huge gamble for his development also. BriseBois and Murray would have to seriously talk to Karpat to see how they would nurture JP. There just seems to be too much risk for the little reward we could get from him.

Reactions: DFC

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Yeah, the only way it works for us is if we keep him in Finland. We couldn't bring him over and fit him the top 9. We couldn't send him to Syracuse. Finland also becomes a huge gamble for his development also. BriseBois and Murray would have to seriously talk to Karpat to see how they would nurture JP. There just seems to be too much risk for the little reward we could get from him.
What is the major risk?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What is the major risk?

The price tag. We'd probably have to give up a decent prospect for someone who realistically might never play for the team, and has failed at the NHL level so far. I'd give a redundant prospect. But nothing unique to the prospect pool.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Or there has to be an understanding that he'll have to win a spot on the team next year over guys like ABB, Stephens, Verhaeghe, Raddysh, Volkov, or whoever else is still in Syracuse. He has to be willing to spend some time in the minors if it comes to that, and motivated to win his spot/opportunity legit. This is a guy who struggled to make a team that gift-wrapped his spot and tried him next to the best player in the world.

I get that there's still a lot of potential, so I'm okay with pursuing this if it's true. But I don't want to give a guy like this any guarantees, especially at the cost of a decent prospect. Like, I don't think we should be putting Raddysh or Volkov on the table. Probably not even ABB until we get a better idea of what we have in him.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Or there has to be an understanding that he'll have to win a spot on the team next year over guys like ABB, Stephens, Verhaeghe, Raddysh, Volkov, or whoever else is still in Syracuse. He has to be willing to spend some time in the minors if it comes to that, and motivated to win his spot/opportunity legit. This is a guy who struggled to make a team that gift-wrapped his spot and tried him next to the best player in the world.

I get that there's still a lot of potential, so I'm okay with pursuing this if it's true. But I don't want to give a guy like this any guarantees, especially at the cost of a decent prospect. Like, I don't think we should be putting Raddysh or Volkov on the table. Probably not even ABB until we get a better idea of what we have in him.
I honestly wouldn't put any player close to playing on the list. I would want to move him for someone like Martel if anything. Something that is massively redundant to us and a pick. He still needs to be signed, is waiver eligible, and like said couldn't play with McDavid and Draisaitl. I agree he has all the potential in the world, but his potential risk and bust is higher than hockey skill so far.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Never understood the hype with this guy. I don't really care as long as we don't give up something valuable, but I feel he is a bust already.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Puljujarvi did breakout and start showing his potential he's then another guy we need to protect in the expansion draft. All the other guys on the list will need protecting too or be left exposed but I can't see any of them as being a target. It's not likely any of them breakout enough to be a considersation with all the other options we'd have available. So the cost to acquire would need to be low enough since the reward doesn't seem too worth it, one good year of Puljujarvi.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If Puljujarvi did breakout and start showing his potential he's then another guy we need to protect in the expansion draft. All the other guys on the list will need protecting too or be left exposed but I can't see any of them as being a target. It's not likely any of them breakout enough to be a considersation with all the other options we'd have available. So the cost to acquire would need to be low enough since the reward doesn't seem too worth it, one good year of Puljujarvi.
Really Ottawa should go after him lol they can give him a chance

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm all about this. Puljuarvi just turned 21, he's still trying to adjust to a body that is 6'4 and is playing for a team known for destroying young careers with mismanagement.

For all of the grieving we've done on here for not having a true power forward in the lineup, Puljuarvi is the total physical package in front of the net and has an amazing release. He's also got the speed to keep up with our scoring liners.

You don't get opportunities to get these types of players fully developed. You need a top 5 pick, a Brink's truck, or be willing to take a chance.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly wouldn't put any player close to playing on the list. I would want to move him for someone like Martel if anything. Something that is massively redundant to us and a pick. He still needs to be signed, is waiver eligible, and like said couldn't play with McDavid and Draisaitl. I agree he has all the potential in the world, but his potential risk and bust is higher than hockey skill so far.

Martel's not a bad idea. They'd never go for it, but he would probably be a decent 3rd liner there, which is roughly what they're asking for. It's just, at least on HF, that means one of OUR 3rd liners, who'd likely be a top-sixer in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad