Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Faulk is definitely a target. Just a matter of how good JBB thinks he is. He has regressed from a few years ago. Also, Carolina will have to take back salary. The 4.8M is too much for us to absorb. They're gonna have to take a Gourde or Palat. Is one year (possibly more) of Faulk worth it? Or is Risto a better target?

Why would we need to send salary to Carolina? We would just have to use the space from Callahan's LTIR.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
It's weird that JBB didn't have a plan in place to trade Dom, doesn't that hurt his value?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It's weird that JBB didn't have a plan in place to trade Dom, doesn't that hurt his value?
He will be listening to any GM that comes asking. Dom sure jumped up in reputation and value so I wouldn't be too concerned about our ability to move him later on in the off-season. Teams are still figuring out where and how to improve their rosters. Can't hurt to add a backup goalie who puts up okay numbers and was part of a very successful (regular season) group in Tampa.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He will be listening to any GM that comes asking. Dom sure jumped up in reputation and value so I wouldn't be too concerned about our ability to move him later on in the off-season. Teams are still figuring out where and how to improve their rosters. Can't hurt to add a backup goalie who puts up okay numbers and was part of a very successful (regular season) group in Tampa.
Worse case you waive dom in training camp and someone claims him or you get to keep him in the ahl as a starter and save 900k off the cap basically what we did with Eric condra.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Worse case you waive dom in training camp and someone claims him or you get to keep him in the ahl as a starter and save 900k off the cap basically what we did with Eric condra.

This is one of your worst ideas ever and that's saying a lot. Why would we even consider waiving a 27 year old who just posted 21 wins and a save% of .908? There's a market for him even if the return is weak, there's no way he gets through waivers.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is one of your worst ideas ever and that's saying a lot. Why would we even consider waiving a 27 year old who just posted 21 wins and a save% of .908? There's a market for him even if the return is weak, there's no way he gets through waivers.
Did you read worse case scenario? Where are your trading Dom ? And what for ? I don’t believe he is ever going to be a nhl starter!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Doesn't hurt Dom's value. Just makes JBB look kind of amateur, especially since Dom didn't know they were going to sign a goalie.
From the sounds of it JBB had talks with Dom and/or his camp. He mentioned that Dom wants to play more, no chance in hell he gets that here in Tampa behind Vasi. And yet there still seems to be a lack of communication.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
David Pagnotta said on the Tampa sports radio this morning that the consensus out there is that Point wants to go back to the Lightning and isnt interested in signing an offer sheet. He thinks other players get it before him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pagnotta said we were in on Ferland too. I dont know how much to read into that but maybe there is mutual interest? Some teams are shying away from him because of injury/concussion issues.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Pagnotta said we were in on Ferland too. I dont know how much to read into that but maybe there is mutual interest? Some teams are shying away from him because of injury/concussion issues.
Would like a guy with some nastiness to his game, but you definitely have to worry about his durability. Contract needs to be short.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Doesn't hurt Dom's value. Just makes JBB look kind of amateur, especially since Dom didn't know they were going to sign a goalie.
Backup goalie trades are tricky right now. JBB will more than likely hodl on to Dom until near camp when teams start scrambling, but there wouldn't be a market to trade for a backup on July 1st.

JBB partially created a market for Dom by signing McElhinney. (can we call him McE? One for the mouse, two because then we'll have a McD and a McE)

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ferland would be a nice add man. You can get the PMD at the TDL. My only concern is if the man is gonna be a no show for the playoffs. I can't admit I've watched him in the playoffs but that stat line scares the shit out of me

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
From the sounds of it JBB had talks with Dom and/or his camp. He mentioned that Dom wants to play more, no chance in hell he gets that here in Tampa behind Vasi. And yet there still seems to be a lack of communication.
I think there might be more to it. Even if that were the case, I don't see us getting this pre-emptive on a back-up situation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think that we just saw an opportunity to upgrade our backup goalie and it worked, now we have to trade the other back up. Dom was going to leave next year anyways, this way you get something for him and still upgrade the position.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ferland would be a nice add man. You can get the PMD at the TDL. My only concern is if the man is gonna be a no show for the playoffs. I can't admit I've watched him in the playoffs but that stat line scares the **** out of me
To be fair this was his only playoff run after he developed into an actual scoring forward. He still sucked, but I think he had some injury problems?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Still think Ristolainen could be ideal if properly used, we could even play him as a forward ala Burns a few years ago, he is very physical out there and would excel with a partner like McD, playing not #1 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad