Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyFreakinUpshall

Aug 13, 2010
I can’t see the team signing another forward to a big contract. They already have so many guys locked in to long term deals that are going to be hard to move....

Killorn, Palat, Johnny, Gourde all have somewhat of a say as to where they go.... I think you gotta get rid of 1 of them to get rid of this comfort zone they all fall into...

??? - Stamkos - Kucherov
Gourde - Point - Johnson
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Conacher - ??? - Erne

Hedmen - Sergy
McD - Cernak
Coburn - ????

I can see Volkov in the forward group but no one else is cuse is ready yet. For defence theres no one either. If anyone is saying foote is going to play he’s gunna be taking an absolute gigantic stride this summer because he was not ready last year. He took a nice jump in the year and played well by the end. Verhagae is defensively unreliable, Barre Boulet is a PP guy.

In terms of FA i’d like to see them get some grit up front.....Pavelski, Simmonds, Wilson, McGinn, Boyle are options

Defensively just a plug guy who can eat minutes... Phaneuf, Hainsey, Gunnarsson etc...

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What was the price on Datsyuk? I can't think if a close comparable.
Datsyuk and a 1st to ARI for Joe Vitale, the NYR first and an ARI 2nd.

Detroit actually did real nice on that deal lol. They moved 4 slots back in the first round and picked up a 2nd.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
I like the idea of adding Lee but legit question here, what’s the difference between he & JT Miller? Lee is 2 years older & has a little more size. Both guys can play C or W, left shooting, and likely a Lee contract will be around 4 or 5 years for $5-$6 mil per? Pretty similar to millers contract we traded. I mean what do we gain with Lee that we couldn’t with Miller? If anyone has watched him closely I’d like to know.

Otherwise perhaps the club was just ready to move on from J.T. or we felt we could acquire assets for Miller while recouping his skill set with a FA signing. If so, shrewd by JBB

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Johnson is who I would trade. Our worst defensive forward who had his offensive stats boosted by playing with Point and Kucherov. I’m a bit scared to think what he would do without them.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like the idea of adding Lee but legit question here, what’s the difference between he & JT Miller? Lee is 2 years older & has a little more size. Both guys can play C or W, left shooting, and likely a Lee contract will be around 4 or 5 years for $5-$6 mil per? Pretty similar to millers contract we traded. I mean what do we gain with Lee that we couldn’t with Miller? If anyone has watched him closely I’d like to know.

Otherwise perhaps the club was just ready to move on from J.T. or we felt we could acquire assets for Miller while recouping his skill set with a FA signing. If so, shrewd by JBB

Ill say this about Lee, Ive seen him dominate like how ROR can dominate. Not as good as ROR but he can be a beast around the net. I think we traded JT because we needed the immediate cap space and the flexibility going forward in if we wanted to add to the team we could. Doesnt mean its Lee but at least you are in position to do it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I read that many schools named after Robert E. Lee are looking for other people named Lee to rename to, so they don't have to get new signage. That could be a selling point. :sarcasm:

I also think that Thunderbug should have several Elementary Schools named after him though.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Niklas Kronwall, Detroit Red Wings

The 38-year-old remains productive. His 27 points (three goals, 24 assists) led Detroit defensemen this season, and he averaged nearly 20 minutes of ice time per game (19:57).
Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman said he's hoping Kronwall returns for a 16th NHL season and will give him all the time he needs to determine if he wants to continue his career. It's likely if Kronwall does keep playing, it will be in Detroit.

Possible landing spots: Red Wings, Lightning, Edmonton Oilers

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Cancel the meeting with Pavelski and meet with Lee. I wrote him off cause I figured he was resigning with the Isles. He's a perfect fit. You actually notice his presence out there and he goes to the net.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
TyJo - Point - Kuch
Palat - Stamkos - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Erne - Paquette - Martel

Hedman - Cernak
McD - Serg
Coburn - Rutta

Anyone a bit worried that we are a Hedman concussion away from being totally effed?

EDIT: Forgot Killorn

EXCELLENT post which brings to light the issues we have on the blueline and to a lesser extent in goal. Those six are a decent enough group, but one or two extended out time injuries and we are hurting badly. If Gaunce does not make the Lightning, he will be first recall. Masin and Thomas are short term solutions only at this point. If I am JBB, I am shopping for help on defense and in goal with almost a free game roster IF the right return is given for the talent going away. If we are going to look for quality and cap relief, we are going to need to make our piece or pieces worthy of other GMs sitting up and taking notice. While it may cost us a player considered "untouchable", a combination of good young talent to help immediately with some draft choices thrown in for the future would make the "pain" far more bearable.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Lee would've been 6th on the team in ES scoring amongst forwards, just 2 points ahead of Killorn. He would've been 5th in ES goals, just 2 ahead of Gourde. He would've been 6th in hits, less than Palat who everyone wants to trade and Miller who we did trade. Playing roughly 1:30 - 2:00 more ES minutes a night. He also will want more money than any of our forwards outside the big 3. Not interested at all.

As for defense if you take any teams top defender or top two away then the rest of it looks like crap. We are playing Sergachev on the bottom pair who would be a top 4 guy on almost all teams. Coburn could probably slot in as a 4th D on some teams. Sure the 6/7 slot isn't great yet because Ruuta has been off the past two seasons and we don't know what we have yet in Masin or Foote. But we don't need to be adding anything more than a PTO vet or a cheap reclamation project type, Honka.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Yes let’s pay Lee 7 million until he is 35. Then we van trade bums like Vasy and Cernak since we can’t pay them anyways.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hey guys, Hose is back to remind you that there is no upgrade available for this perfect team.

Join us tomorrow when he reminds us again, and be sure to catch him in every trade board thread where TB is mentioned saying the same.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Suggests somebody with good ES scoring.

"He will cost too much to get!"

Suggests somebody that hits and has a scoring touch.

"He only had 13 more hits than Miller who we traded, less ES goals than Johnson and had less assists than Palat who everybody wants to trade!"

Suggests Pavelski on a 2yr deal.

"I would rather just bring up Volkov."

Same guy wants to bring in Lawrence Crouse...

Reactions: JAY7791

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yes let’s pay Lee 7 million until he is 35. Then we van trade bums like Vasy and Cernak since we can’t pay them anyways.

Why are people always under the impression players just lose a limb when they turn 33 or 34? He will have a few more prime years and still be productive on the back end. I wouldn't do 7. Max 5 years. Look at Pavelski who everyone is saying is soooooooo old. Guy potted 38 goals and 40 the year before. Stop watching stat lines and watch the player play. Scouts do this for amateurs, why does this practice fall off for pros just because they are in their early to mid 30s? A player doesn't have a 12 year shelf life from 18 to 30. You negotiate contracts accordingly and wisely. Pavelski should get a 2-3 year deal and Lee getting a 5 would be fine. Even 6 is fine. By then a lot will change and we can once again look to move Palat, Johnson, Killorn or shed salary in some other way.

Continuously writing off options for the future hasn't won us a cup with this core in 5 years. Eventually your core deteriorates and at some point taking a gamble to win it needs to be done, or you'll blink and 5-10 years later you're the sharks, or....just the bolts.

Reactions: LightningStrikes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad