Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That’s actually interesting lol. I was just thinking, should we miss out on Pavs like it appears we will, why have we been unable to land some of the big FAs? Brad Richards, Tavares, Pavs and I’m sure there’s others I’m missing. I know we’ve swung some big names via trade, but for a team that other players seem to want to come to, why aren’t they? Probably just coincidence and most of these guys are high in demand with several teams chasing them. There can only be 1 winner, but just like the Cup, it isn’t us
We don't have the cap space to be going after the top tier guys.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
I hope everyone is prepared to keep Gourde, bc he ain’t going anywhere this summer. If Pavs turned us down, no reason to make that trade for space I guess what JBB thinks. Our offseason will include:

Trading Miller
Point resign
Luke schenn
Wayne simmonds
And a bunch of other No’s...

Palat, Gourde, Killorn, Johnson & cooper all still here!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I hope everyone is prepared to keep Gourde, bc he ain’t going anywhere this summer. If Pavs turned us down, no reason to make that trade for space I guess what JBB thinks. Our offseason will include:

Trading Miller
Point resign
Luke schenn
Wayne simmonds
And a bunch of other No’s...

Palat, Gourde, Killorn, Johnson & cooper all still here!
Next summer.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So it's reasonable that tomorrow TB signs:
Luke Schenn
Corey Perry
Dustin Tokarski

iu

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't know what the move is at this point. We need help on D, but without picking up a UFA forward, moving someone for D help just causes more issues. Palat is already dead weight in the top 6 and if you move Gourde, then you're in really rough shape.

They also need help in the top 6 even if Gourde stays. Ideally you can find a winger for Stamkos that isn't trash. Gusev would have been real nice to have around right now.

???-Stamkos-Gourde
TJ-Point-Kuch
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Erne-Paquette-Palat
Martel

I just don't think this team can move Miller for space and then call it a day. They've gotta get some help in the lineup.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I did not get the feeling that JBB or Cooper thought there wasnt anything wrong with the team. That's why you'll see it mostly intact going into next year.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I really does blow my mind that we're gonna go into next year:

(-) Miller
(-) Stralman
(-) Girardi
(-) Callahan

With no money left but for a couple cheap replacements.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I'd rather them stay pat then make a move out of desperation that makes us worse. Would like to add risto but if the asking price is too high then its a no go. I think Perry and Schenn would be nice adds. Then there is always the trade deadline as well. This team doesn't need help for the regular season. It needs help with playoff hockey.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think they might be planning on having Foote and Volkov ready for the big boys the year as well. I'm excited to see how they do.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'd rather them stay pat then make a move out of desperation that makes us worse. Would like to add risto but if the asking price is too high then its a no go. I think Perry and Schenn would be nice adds. Then there is always the trade deadline as well. This team doesn't need help for the regular season. It needs help with playoff hockey.
Standing pat after what has happened is insanity.

Desperate >>>>> Insane

Reactions: berlin

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't know what the move is at this point. We need help on D, but without picking up a UFA forward, moving someone for D help just causes more issues. Palat is already dead weight in the top 6 and if you move Gourde, then you're in really rough shape.

They also need help in the top 6 even if Gourde stays. Ideally you can find a winger for Stamkos that isn't trash. Gusev would have been real nice to have around right now.

???-Stamkos-Gourde
TJ-Point-Kuch
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Erne-Paquette-Palat
Martel

I just don't think this team can move Miller for space and then call it a day. They've gotta get some help in the lineup.
If getting rid of Miller and Callahan was truly just for resigning Point and a couple cheap roster players, we really were in worse shape than we thought.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Canucks fans were saying that Schenn wasn't awful there, so maybe he wouldn't be an awful alternative to Ruuta.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If Still All In was right and we really need "all the leadership we can get" and that's why we really wanted Pavs, that scares the shit out of me. That's a MAJOR issue.

On ice issues can possibly be tweaked and fixed, locker room issues can be cancerous.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What move do you think they should make?
I dont study this stuff day in and day out so I dont know every player that's available through UFA or trade. But just for the sake of this conversation I would:

Do whatever I could to get Pavs to come here over Dallas. Overpay, trade Gourde, longer term, whatever.

If for whatever reason he just doesnt want to come here, I'd then take the same approach with Anders Lee.

Basically, I'd go completely all in for the next two years. Just from my uneducated fans perspective I'm looking at the next two years as an absolute must win scenario.

Reactions: berlin

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I dont study this stuff day in and day out so I dont know every player that's available through UFA or trade. But just for the sake of this conversation I would:

Do whatever I could to get Pavs to come here over Dallas. Overpay, trade Gourde, longer term, whatever.

If for whatever reason he just doesnt want to come here, I'd then take the same approach with Anders Lee.

Basically, I'd go completely all in for the next two years. Just from my uneducated fans perspective I'm looking at the next two years as an absolute must win scenario.

This comment is a joke right? You pretty much wrote what the worst possible thing we could do is. Overpaying these guys would screw us as soon as next year with all the contracts we have to sign.

And not like signing Pavelski or Lee guarantees a cup. We aren’t even f***ing close to a must win scenario. Our best players still all have at least 5 years of elite play left.

But yeah we choked in the first round so might aswell screw ourselves over just to sign Anders f***ing Lee.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

I don't care what the details of the move are. Pavelski, Ferland, whoever... I don't care. I want to see them make an effort to improve the team. Even if we resign Point, Paquette, Erne, and Martel we are still not any better. In fact, in losing Miller, Stralman, and even Callahan, I think we are decidedly worse than last year if we do not make a move in free agency.

I would also like to see us trade Gourde today. Moreso for cap space next year and moving his contract after today is likely to be a challenge. That's one thing I would look to do for sure.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Canucks fans were saying that Schenn wasn't awful there, so maybe he wouldn't be an awful alternative to Ruuta.
When they say that, what are they comparing it to? There wasn't a lot of quality hockey being played in Vancouver last season, so I'm not sure what the standard was. The amount of ice time he got most games was very pedestrian too.

Reactions: CupsOverCash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad