Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I'm interested to see what they do with Schenn. Are they going to pair him with Hedman knowing he's well below the standard #2 (ala Dotchin) so they can keep Coburn-Serge, which is actually a decent pairing that plays off of each players weaknesses or do they move Serge up and play a Schenn-Coburn pairing?
Move Serge up please. I’d like to mix it up. Serge with McDonough. Cernek with Heddy.

Lightning need Serge to,take a big step.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah, I think Y said he was trying to acquire Miller for a while.
I think if yzerman was the gm here still Miller would still be here and gourde would have been traded or not resigned. Ya yzerman wanted miller in the deal for Callahan and St. Louis trade instead of the picks but the rangers refused so they took the draft picks

Reactions: Rschmitz

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd like to see Serge move up as well but a Schenn-Coburn pairing seems like it might be painfully slow. I mean it's better than Rutta, but not exactly inspiring confidence.

At least with Serge-Coburn, Serge can make up for Coburns lack of speed and Coburn can cover Sergachevs defensive shortcomings.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Is Schenn/Ruuta an upgrade of Stralman/Girardi?
Rutta in the lineup period is a problem.

I'd probably say Schenn is better than Girardi, but Stralman was one of the best 2-3 guys out there until this season. Still probably one of the best 4-5 guys when healthy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'd probably say Schenn is better than Girardi, but Stralman was one of the best 2-3 guys out there until this season. Still probably one of the best 4-5 guys when healthy.

The issue with Stralman is money. Somebody's going to pay him like a 2/3 when that's not what he is anymore. He's gonna get an offer, probably several, that we can't realistically compete with.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The issue with Stralman is money. Somebody's going to pay him like a 2/3 when that's not what he is anymore. He's gonna get an offer, probably several, that we can't realistically compete with.
Oh I agree completely. I wasn't saying that as a way of saying we should keep him. Someone is gonna give him way too much money and term tomorrow.

Reactions: DaBolts

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Issue last year was he was never healthy

He was fine until late Nov. when he was injured. He and Mac were outstanding as the default top pair when Hedman went down for a month. It was first thought to be a groin injury, but it never responded to rest/treatment very well. Was finally diagnosed as a core muscle injury (aka sports hernia) that was repaired in May. Same thing that Mac was fighting that first months he was with us. Mac healed up just fine. It's very possible that Strålman will heal up fine as well even if he's a few years older than Mac. And a healthy Strålman would be worth keeping.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
He was fine until late Nov. when he was injured. He and Mac were outstanding as the default top pair when Hedman went down for a month. It was first thought to be a groin injury, but it never responded to rest/treatment very well. Was finally diagnosed as a core muscle injury (aka sports hernia) that was repaired in May. Same thing that Mac was fighting that first months he was with us. Mac healed up just fine. It's very possible that Strålman will heal up fine as well even if he's a few years older than Mac. And a healthy Strålman would be worth keeping.

Except he probably wants $5 million + for 4 years, which we can't afford.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Schenn was playing in the ahl last year for a while he is not better then Girardi

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't get it. Some of you are saying how we need money next year to sign Vasilevskiy, Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev and Joseph. Then you got those who say we aren't good enough we need to bring in other players. What if the reason we need to save money for those players is because we expect them to all get better and make the team better, which in turn will cost us more?

Instead of Pavelski in the top 6 how about Cirelli? He's already showed he can be a top 5 3C in the league, see if he can become more. Cernak was a solid top 4 D, can he push towards a top pair guy or a good #3? Sergachev is brimming with potential but we've been cautious with him, let him open up his game and become a top 4 guy. Joseph probably won't be a top 6 winger next year but could really push to being a 20-20 guy which would put him into the top of the 3rd line category. Vasilevskiy is already a Vezina winner. For depth players we have Verheaghe who just led the AHL in scoring. Volkov has been knocking on the door for two years. Barré-Boulet had a great rookie year and could be ready soon. On D Foote has been developing great and isn't too far out. Masin took a step back last year but is strong defensively and is cheap depth. I prefer to let our youth get first crack at improving the team and then make a trade in season if we are weak in one area.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I'd like to see Serge move up as well but a Schenn-Coburn pairing seems like it might be painfully slow. I mean it's better than Rutta, but not exactly inspiring confidence.

At least with Serge-Coburn, Serge can make up for Coburns lack of speed and Coburn can cover Sergachevs defensive shortcomings.
I thought Coburn was moving pretty well this past season

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't get it. Some of you are saying how we need money next year to sign Vasilevskiy, Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev and Joseph. Then you got those who say we aren't good enough we need to bring in other players. What if the reason we need to save money for those players is because we expect them to all get better and make the team better, which in turn will cost us more?

Instead of Pavelski in the top 6 how about Cirelli? He's already showed he can be a top 5 3C in the league, see if he can become more. Cernak was a solid top 4 D, can he push towards a top pair guy or a good #3? Sergachev is brimming with potential but we've been cautious with him, let him open up his game and become a top 4 guy. Joseph probably won't be a top 6 winger next year but could really push to being a 20-20 guy which would put him into the top of the 3rd line category. Vasilevskiy is already a Vezina winner. For depth players we have Verheaghe who just led the AHL in scoring. Volkov has been knocking on the door for two years. Barré-Boulet had a great rookie year and could be ready soon. On D Foote has been developing great and isn't too far out. Masin took a step back last year but is strong defensively and is cheap depth. I prefer to let our youth get first crack at improving the team and then make a trade in season if we are weak in one area.

I think they let one or 2 of the kids get a shot at the big team and then maybe make adjustments at the deadline. Maybe we sign somebody from UFA but it wont be significant.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

People want to improve the team by replacing someone like Palat/Gourde, not necessarily just add money. Some people want a real change and not necessarily standing pat and hoping the young guys improve and make us better. It doesnt always work like that. Dotchin regressed big time. Serge didnt take a huge step forward. Not everyone thinks we have all the time in the world just to be patient.

For every kid we've had success developing, theres been a good trade/UFA signing. Coburn, Stralman, McD, Bishop, etc were all good signings. Who knows what's gonna work - it's all a crap shoot.

However, the one thing a lot of folks think we need is a good, gritty, top 6 leader (not a plug like Morrow or Kunitz).

Last edited:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

I'm not going to argue with that but Palat/Gourde have been demonstrable liabilities for 2 years in a row in the playoffs. WE need players in the top 6 that can play 82+ games, not just 50 or 60.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I am behind Cirelli in the top 6. I want Stammer on his wing. THAT would be real change. Meaningful change. Heck keep Killer with him too. That would be a fantastic 2nd line.

Let Paquette center Palat and Guorde on the third line. Or Joseph.

But none of this will happen. Hope I’m wrong.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

There are those of use who just want to see the team explore moves to improve itself.

Reactions: berlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad