Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Bleh, the more I think about it, the more I like it. (...Cap issues aside.)
I'm with you. I never even considered this dude, but man. When I think about what he brings, he could be a big, big get for us.

It could of course blow up in our faces as well.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think Pavelski is most likely a pipe dream. Perry is more realistic.

However, one thing this does tell us is Tampa is looking to add. Or at least exploring it.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Well, uh, Syracuse could sign a few more boys for Orlando and that'd give them depth. :wg:

I'm neutral about Masin though. I focus so much on TB and Orlando, Syracuse gets lost in the mix. I believe what you say though about his ceiling, it's just the realpolitik of not having a prospect in the system old enough to step right in doesn't make it a straight forward situation.

I'm a minor league fan too, and I don't want to tank the Crunch's season just to give opportunities to randos who are even less likely to make it to the NHL b/c a guy is exactly one year past his peak development window or whatever.

Syracuse is restricted by the Lightning organization as to how many contracts they can have. As you should know, at the AHL level it makes little financial sense to sign a bunch of players to contracts if you are not going to use them primarily at the AHL level. That is why you have an NHL affiliate, to supply you with your primary core and then they allow you to supplement those players with a few under your contract. Your NHL team does not want you to sign so many players that is takes a lot of ice time away from the players they are sending you to develop.
No one is proposing Syracuse tank its season. What I am asking to consider is if a player who seems to have hit his peak with this organization at this level and is NOT ready for the NHL level, should continue to be given top minutes. Doing so restricts the potential development of other players who do not get those minutes to shine in the spotlight and prove that they are indeed ready to shine at the AHL level as they progress towards the NHL.
As I mentioned, folks who see the Crunch game in and game out from the seats may have different opinions of how the players are developing than the paid Tampa Bay staff does. Player may be the second coming of Paul Coffey against teammates in practice or against the last place teams in the league, but when he is forced to play against higher talented players and teams he looks like the second coming of Derrick Pouliot.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can someone tell me what top 6 power forward is available for us to sign or trade for? Perry isn't a top 6 player anymore, Pavelski isn't a power forward, Brouwer, Boyle or Maroon aren't top 6 guys. I get the notion that we need a different element to our lineup but I'm not seeing where this element is going to come from? We really should be promoting Volkov, he's not a power winger who will put the fear in teams but he can play a heavier game. He drives hard to the net, uses his size to create space and battles in the corners. He's ready for a spot.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Can someone tell me what top 6 power forward is available for us to sign or trade for? Perry isn't a top 6 player anymore, Pavelski isn't a power forward, Brouwer, Boyle or Maroon aren't top 6 guys. I get the notion that we need a different element to our lineup but I'm not seeing where this element is going to come from? We really should be promoting Volkov, he's not a power winger who will put the fear in teams but he can play a heavier game. He drives hard to the net, uses his size to create space and battles in the corners. He's ready for a spot.

Reads like you are promoting Volkov the way I used to promote Erne. At this point, was I ever wrong about that. Appears I was blinded by the fact he was one of the few forwards we had with size. At one time, I had Erne as a No Trade player due to his potential. Now he, like so many others on the roster, can be had fro the right price.
As for the first part of your post, I have no clue. I am sure JBB is listening to offers, especially given the CAP situation and the number of talented forwards we have. Mentioned before Draft Day I would not want his job and the associated headaches this off season, I still hold true to that.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think we are still going to deal one or more of Kilhorn, Palat, Gourde, or Callahan.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Reads like you are promoting Volkov the way I used to promote Erne. At this point, was I ever wrong about that. Appears I was blinded by the fact he was one of the few forwards we had with size. At one time, I had Erne as a No Trade player due to his potential. Now he, like so many others on the roster, can be had fro the right price.
As for the first part of your post, I have no clue. I am sure JBB is listening to offers, especially given the CAP situation and the number of talented forwards we have. Mentioned before Draft Day I would not want his job and the associated headaches this off season, I still hold true to that.

I'm not even sure Volkov could be a full time top 6 wing. He has the attributes to play there but he still has consistency issues. But everyone is looking for something different in the lineup and he's the one guy who's ready, cheap and adds that element so I pick him kinda by default. Maybe he will click when promoted better than Erne but I think it's still 50/50 he turns out like Erne. I think they both are similar in that one game they can look dominate and you think they finally put it together and you're going to have this power beast but then they go games of nothing. But looking at our top 6 Palat has been having a lot more off nights, Gourde did a ton last year and Johnson can go quite himself. So Volkov really wouldn't be any worse if he did that but when on I think he would provide something none of those 3 can. But he's not a known name like a Perry, Simmonds or Pavelski so nobody here will want him on the team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think we are still going to deal one or more of Kilhorn, Palat, Gourde, or Callahan.

Gourde I can see not sure the other two would waive. As for Killorn I wouldn't even ask him because him and Cirelli have insane chemistry which make that 3rd line deadly. Callahan going doesn't really change anything though except prevent some cap headaches this year. What would you trade Gourde or Palat for?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Gourde I can see not sure the other two would waive. As for Killorn I wouldn't even ask him because him and Cirelli have insane chemistry which make that 3rd line deadly. Callahan going doesn't really change anything though except prevent some cap headaches this year. What would you trade Gourde or Palat for?
I would trade them for picks or 3rd/4th big body powerforwards/grinders that are on a cheap contract. I would try to make a trade with AZ for Crouse. I know he is young and is not going to be a star but he is on a cheap contract and would help solidify our bottom 6.

Also, I would see if Ottawa or Carolina have any interest in them. They all need to gain cap to reach the cap floor. If we could dump say Callahan+ Palat/Gourde. That would really open up the cap for us.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would trade them for picks or 3rd/4th big body powerforwards/grinders that are on a cheap contract. I would try to make a trade with AZ for Crouse. I know he is young and is not going to be a star but he is on a cheap contract and would help solidify our bottom 6.

Also, I would see if Ottawa or Carolina have any interest in them. They all need to gain cap to reach the cap floor. If we could dump say Callahan+ Palat/Gourde. That would really open up the cap for us.
I've mentioned Crouse before and think he would be a good target. Arizona doesn't seem to want to move him though. When someone was talking about the 14th for Gourde I suggested Crouse + instead but they rather move the 14 than Crouse. I also think Virtanen would be a decent add as well. But we talked to Vancouver and got a pick instead. So either those players aren't available are we aren't looking for a winger like that. With the Foote draft pick we may be changing philosophy a little in looking at bigger wingers but Foote isn't just a physical power winger, he's very skilled but happens to play heavy too.

I can't see either waiving for Ottawa. Callahan maybe since he's on LTIR so insurance plays most of the contract. Carolina might be interested and they have a bunch of picks next year. They also have a few kids they might want to promote instead so not sure how interested they really are and probably won't want to pay full price.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Crouse and Virtanen aren't exactly proven good NHL powerforwards. Might as well just promote Volkov and see what he can do

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Callahan probably doesnt care where his contract gets traded to at this point. He doesnt have to report or play.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Crouse and Virtanen aren't exactly proven good NHL powerforwards. Might as well just promote Volkov and see what he can do
I agree, but they are big and clear cap space.
Yzerman gave out country club deals to Johnson,Kilhorn,Palat,Miller, Callahan and Gourde. None of them are core star players. We moved out 1 player. Of the players signed to long term deals Kilhorn and Johnson are the most valuable to us and have NTC.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Exactly. Guys who aren't even proven aren't available so who is trading a proven power forward? It would be the perfect time to target these guys since they're value isn't at it's peak yet. I would promote from within or even try Erne in the top 6 but I highly doubt Cooper would play either player up there instead of his guys.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Exactly. Guys who aren't even proven aren't available so who is trading a proven power forward? It would be the perfect time to target these guys since they're value isn't at it's peak yet. I would promote from within or even try Erne in the top 6 but I highly doubt Cooper would play either player up there instead of his guys.

Not sure how many of Cooper's "guys" are still with the organization from his Admirals/Crunch days. He, like every other coach at the NHL level, must go with the talent he is dealt and adjust his coaching style accordingly or get his resume ready far sooner than he had hoped.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Yeah, just depends on the value. I like both of those players for the right price and would be just as happy with Volkov.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Callahan probably doesnt care where his contract gets traded to at this point. He doesnt have to report or play.
He would need to at least report if the team wanted him to. He wouldn't ever put on skates, but if he went AFK, the contract could be terminated.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo

But isn’t that the type of player Kreisler is, and you crapped all over that idea?

I know you have a penchant for trolling & sarcasm but I’m not quite sure here? Or you’re drunk like I am??

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think Pavelski is most likely a pipe dream. Perry is more realistic.

However, one thing this does tell us is Tampa is looking to add. Or at least exploring it.

I will say this, a Pavs-Cirelli-Killorn line would be fun to watch.

Or so would a Pavs-Paq-? line. Either way, if he wants to win it all, this would be a nice piece for us to add AFTER we sign Point.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But isn’t that the type of player Kreisler is, and you crapped all over that idea?

I know you have a penchant for trolling & sarcasm but I’m not quite sure here? Or you’re drunk like I am??

Volkov doesn't cost assets to acquire and won't be looking for 7+ next year. That's why I don't want Kreider when we have Volkov who is cheaper and in need of a chance.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure how many of Cooper's "guys" are still with the organization from his Admirals/Crunch days. He, like every other coach at the NHL level, must go with the talent he is dealt and adjust his coaching style accordingly or get his resume ready far sooner than he had hoped.

He has Johnson, Palat and Killorn still. They are taking up the top 3 LW spots so a guy like Volkov doesn't have a spot. Even Erne when he was playing really well was stuck on the 3rd line while Palat was crapping all over the 2nd line. Killorn I don't have an issue with because he sticks to the 3rd line and produces there. The other two should be dropped down the lineup when they struggle but they don't. Cooper put Miller on the 4th or scratched him when he didn't like his play. Erne and Joseph got dumped to the 4th line or scratched. Johnson and Palat just continued to play in the top 6 all year.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think we are all hoping on a huge bounce back from Palat. He has to at this point. Like last season was just a giant turd that there is nowhere to go but up right? Anytime when he started getting his stride again, he got hurt and then shit the bed again.

What are the conditions on Palat's NTC? Or is it a NMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad