Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he still gonna do it at (looks) HOLY **** the guy is gonna be 35!! I would only sign the guy for a season. Unless he has St. Louis or Jagr blood that could get ugly

A lot of Sharks players age better than average.

I think I'd still rather look into Perry, so long as he's cheaper. I like the pest factor, and I'd like a pest over six feet tall for once.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
A lot of Sharks players age better than average.

I think I'd still rather look into Perry, so long as he's cheaper. I like the pest factor, and I'd like a pest over six feet tall for once.
They get rid of Cally and Gourde you might be able to have both.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Screen-Shot-2019-06-23-at-9.17.49-PM.png

Has a couple good years left probably but I don't see us having the cap space for him. Maybe if he only signs for a year.

You never know. Players make crazy decisions when they're getting near the end and have yet to win a cup.

I don't want to give him a Marleau type deal (I think I'd still rather grab Perry cheap, honestly, just because of the price).

But man... I didn't realize he scored 38 last year. 25 ES, which is one more than Kucherov, if I'm not mistaken.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Python, sorry to disagree but our lack of actual depth is what led to both the NHL and AHL teams to have great regular seasons then choke in the first round of the playoffs. Once the injuries and call-ups hit, Syracuse was a team with no one to fall back to in case of injuries, discipline, or slumps. We see these players game in and game out and try to let you folks know the good and the bad. Sadly, many refuse to believe what the fans paying for our tickets see, instead going with the visions seen through rose colored glasses by those who are paid by the organization. That type of report works the same in any business; out of fear of losing your job you will tell the orgaizztion what it wants to hear whether it is correct or not. But hey, I have been following ice hockey as a fan and other positions since the early 70s so what do I know about what it does or does not take to make it at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.
Well, uh, Syracuse could sign a few more boys for Orlando and that'd give them depth. :wg:

I'm neutral about Masin though. I focus so much on TB and Orlando, Syracuse gets lost in the mix. I believe what you say though about his ceiling, it's just the realpolitik of not having a prospect in the system old enough to step right in doesn't make it a straight forward situation.

I'm a minor league fan too, and I don't want to tank the Crunch's season just to give opportunities to randos who are even less likely to make it to the NHL b/c a guy is exactly one year past his peak development window or whatever.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He’s going to want term. That’s why he hasn’t signed with SJ is right now.
I don't know how much he could realistically expect. The guy is gonna be 35 at the start of the season. I don't think he'll find too many teams willing to give him more than 2 years.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yzerman never had an issue with handing out term length. We’ll see if JBB feels the same. What were Perry’s stats last season? I think he brings more of what we need on this team, but idk if he’s completely fallen off a cliff since his 50 goal days or what.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If hes looking for term or a Marleau deal why would the Lightning even schedule the visit?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know how much he could realistically expect. The guy is gonna be 35 at the start of the season. I don't think he'll find too many teams willing to give him more than 2 years.

Someone will opt for 3. He's 35, but he just scored 38 goals. Didn't Kovalchuk get three years coming out of Russia? I know that contract went bad, but I'm just saying--somebody's gonna do it, because if he helps you win this year, the one or two bad years don't matter.

I don't want to give him three, mind you. If we're going to pony up that kind of money, I feel like there are likely better options.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Yzerman never had an issue with handing out term length. We’ll see if JBB feels the same. What were Perry’s stats last season? I think he brings more of what we need on this team, but idk if he’s completely fallen off a cliff since his 50 goal days or what.
10 points in 31 games.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Someone will opt for 3. He's 35, but he just scored 38 goals. Didn't Kovalchuk get three years coming out of Russia? I know that contract went bad, but I'm just saying--somebody's gonna do it, because if he helps you win this year, the one or two bad years don't matter.

I don't want to give him three, mind you. If we're going to pony up that kind of money, I feel like there are likely better options.
The Kovy and Marleau deals havent worked out too well....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Perry was awful last year, but there were probably some issues going on. He might not even be a 20 goal-scorer with us, but teams are still going to hate playing against him, and I really think we need a guy or two who can bring that. ...And not be 5'7.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Kovy and Marleau deals havent worked out too well....

Yeah, but somebody always gives them one. If two teams are stuck on two years, and the player holds out for a third, one of those teams cracks. Usually.

And they're especially going to crack for Pavelski. Kovy was coming out of Russia, and Marleau was already a shadow of his former self. Pavelski was a top 10 (5?) goal-scorer in the league. Somebody's gonna give him what he wants. Whether or not we're in the mix should depend on what he wants, I think. He might be looking for a shot at a cup above all else, and, if no other contenders are calling, that's our in.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
He might be looking for a shot at a cup above all else, and, if no other contenders are calling, that's our in.

Why else would the two sides set up this visit? Esspecially if they know their finances were way off.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I would gladly take Pavs at 2 years.

I'd be willing to give 3 if he took a bit if a lower cap though.

Stamkos - Pavs
Point - Kuch

Not bad.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bleh, the more I think about it, the more I like it. (...Cap issues aside.)

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I don’t picture him as a bruiser. He plays in the west, so I’d imagine he’s no stranger to physicality. Are we just looking at his point totals? Because we have no shortage of scorers on this team. Will he create space and pester?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No interest in Pavelski at all. Only had 69 hits last year which is only better than Point, Kucherov and Johnson. We don't need anymore soft forwards, we need real grit in the lineup which Pavelski doesn't bring.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don’t picture him as a bruiser. He plays in the west, so I’d imagine he’s no stranger to physicality. Are we just looking at his point totals? Because we have no shortage of scorers on this team. Will he create space and pester?

This is management doubling down on skill over size and physicality. Pavelski does have some attractive features though. He is one of the better faceoff players in the league and has some versatility. He also comes with boatloads of experience and is a reliable playoff performer.

He's a great player and is a great pickup for the right price, if.....you resign yourself to the fact that we are getting smaller and management is sticking with the same philosophy as last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce