Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #5 - OR - The Everlasting GobStromer

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Yea we have plenty of depth. Even if we send Hayton back, someone useful will pop up on waivers or in trade for scraps. This is the best lineup we've had in nearly 2 decades. If they can catch lightning in a bottle like we did in 2012 then we'll be even better off.

I'm also all for standing pat to start the season. We can evaluate through 4 months and come the TDL, make a move that best fits our roster and push further in the playoffs. In 7 years we haven't seen an actual NHL roster, this season is going to be a ton of fun.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Domi was a player on the rise.He was the type of player you can see who dominated and carried the play even if his stats didnt show it in his first couple of years.
He wanted to play in a big market. He grew up with his dad in a big market. It's understandable. He's the type of guy who cares and wants that pressure.
Guys like Kessel? He wilted in toronto. He'll do fine here. And he has a long history of being high maintenance.

Can you provide some evidence Domi was high maintenance and "marched to the beat of his drum"? I'm just curious about that. He's loved in Montreal.
Your assertion that Kessel wilted in Toronto is just plain BS. He is not a center of attention guy but he performed very well in Toronto. Unless of course you consider his best scoring years "wilting"???

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Far be it from me chiming in but I really don’t care what happened to Kessel in Toronto or Pittsburgh.

I’m more interested in what he can do for us here.

:dunno:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Far be it from me chiming in but I really don’t care what happened to Kessel in Toronto or Pittsburgh.

I’m more interested in what he can do for us here.

:dunno:
It does matter as it's a player's history and pattern. If he has a history it's unlikely that changes in his 30's

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Environment plays into it as well. That is unless you feel Arizona is a fishbowl like Toronto or Pittsburgh are.
I don't, but I also think Phil was great in Toronto. However he does not like the bright lights so I don't expect him to enjoy being the focus of attention here either no matter how many cameras there are. I'm not of the opinion players owe fans anything other than on ice performance. Phil has been around long enough now that everyone should know what he is and isn't.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't, but I also think Phil was great in Toronto. However he does not like the bright lights so I don't expect him to enjoy being the focus of attention here either no matter how many cameras there are. I'm not of the opinion players owe fans anything other than on ice performance. Phil has been around long enough now that everyone should know what he is and isn't.
Agreed he is who he is an on ice consistent performer. I expect he will not be like Ribs but more like Ray Whitney, we know what we are getting.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I'm worried about who is going to provide some actual pushback when we play heavy teams. We got pushed around a lot last year and we've got a bunch of undersized players with injury histories. According to hockeyfights, we've seen a steady decline in total fights per season over the last five seasons: 26, 21, 20, 17, and 7.

At this point it's Crouse (3), Fischer (1) and Lyubushkin (1) when he plays, and that's basically it, right? Archibald and Cousins each threw down once and they've both moved on.
I kind of like the idea of tradig for Sam Bennett as he might still have some untapped potential and is willing to drop the gloves.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Agreed he is who he is an on ice consistent performer. I expect he will not be like Ribs but more like Ray Whitney, we know what we are getting.
I can't really think of a comparable for Kessel. Not a guy who causes any trouble but certainly not an example for young guys on how to be a good pro. He is an enigma in NHL terms as he is physically gifted and does not follow the normal mantra of regimented training and strict lifestyle. Phil is just Phil, a fun loving guy who is very good at playing hockey naturally. Those who embrace him get him at his best, those who want him to conform have an end date relationship. I prefer to work with and get the best. Don't ask him to be what he isn't and get the reward of performance.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Your assertion that Kessel wilted in Toronto is just plain BS. He is not a center of attention guy but he performed very well in Toronto. Unless of course you consider his best scoring years "wilting"???
Oh yea he wilted in Toronto. He fought with the media, coach's and fans. He was a cancer there who was a total loser and couldnt handle the pressure of Toronto. He didnt make anyone better. There is a lot more to producing points when your a highly paid marquee player. He failed miserable on every count. So yea he WILTED and that's being kind.

In Pittsburgh he had Crosby and Malkin and nowhere near the attention. He did better in that kind of environment but guess what? He again was traded for a variety of personal reasons. The organization wanted him out. Again the guy had issues.

Now he's here in Arizona where virtually nobody cares about hockey. I think he will be fine here plus he has a coach who knows how to press the fat ass's buttons.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Oh yea he wilted in Toronto. He fought with the media, coach's and fans. He was a cancer there who was a total loser and couldnt handle the pressure of Toronto. He didnt make anyone better. There is a lot more to producing points when your a highly paid marquee player. He failed miserable on every count. So yea he WILTED and that's being kind.

In Pittsburgh he had Crosby and Malkin and nowhere near the attention. He did better in that kind of environment but guess what? He again was traded for a variety of personal reasons. The organization wanted him out. Again the guy had issues.

Now he's here in Arizona where virtually nobody cares about hockey. I think he will be fine here plus he has a coach who knows how to press the fat ass's buttons.
I should have known better than to answer you.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I personally dont think we are done yet...

I think there are alot of deals to make right before or right around training camp..

I also think some teams are waiting to see what happens with the RFAs

Maybe we will have some training camp invites that weren't expected?

If we are done ... I too worry about our depth as well as our toughness.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You know you really didn’t help your cause just now by slamming the fan base you’re pretending to be a part of.

The media in Toronto are well known to act like a bunch of holier-than-thou jackasses. As an example their contempt for the Coyotes market alone (and its fans) is extremely well documented so if a Leafs player doesn’t want to play ball with them on their terms they’re always going to be portrayed as a malcontent.

Same could be said about a lot of Leafs fans. But then again every fanbase has a small percentage of sphincters who act like the player owes them their every desire.

Reactions: azcanuck

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

He also cheated with your brother's wife. Wow, what venom!

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You know you really didn’t help your cause just now by slamming the fan base you’re pretending to be a part of.

The media in Toronto are well known to act like a bunch of holier-than-thou jackasses. As an example their contempt for the Coyotes market alone (and its fans) is extremely well documented so if a Leafs player doesn’t want to play ball with them on their terms they’re always going to be portrayed as a malcontent.

Same could be said about a lot of Leafs fans. But then again every fanbase has a small percentage of sphincters who act like the player owes them their every desire.
Unless your a sensitive Susie I dont see where the insult was. The hockey media here is virtually non existent. We have some fans but nowhere near what you would expect of a city of 5 million. We've had bottom three attendance for 10 years. And nowhere near as passionate as some of the Canadian or even some American markets. And that's okay. We are who we are.

And I agree with you on the Toronto media. Never been a fan. They act like they're the center of the universe and when have they won anything?

As far as Kessel. The marriage was a combination of an over zealous fan/media base and a player who was lazy ,selfish and who as their best player was part of a toxic culture. Kessel doesnt get a free pass there.
And Kessel moves to Pittsburgh where they have HOF all time great players who take the pressure off of Phil. YET he still creates an environment where they are forced to remove him. Again that's on phil.

He's played in two places. Both wanted him out NOW. Says a lot.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I personally dont think we are done yet...

I think there are alot of deals to make right before or right around training camp..

I also think some teams are waiting to see what happens with the RFAs

Maybe we will have some training camp invites that weren't expected?

If we are done ... I too worry about our depth as well as our toughness.
I think we are a bubble playoff team.I havent analyzed it yet but it's still going to be tough. look how much chicago improved . Teams that were on the outside looking in got better too.
But IF we make playoffs can you imagine this butter soft team playing the Bruins or Blues after watching what they did?
chyka needs a new recipe not just the analytics.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Unless your a sensitive Susie I dont see where the insult was. The hockey media here is virtually non existent. We have some fans but nowhere near what you would expect of a city of 5 million. We've had bottom three attendance for 10 years. And nowhere near as passionate as some of the Canadian or even some American markets. And that's okay. We are who we are.

And I agree with you on the Toronto media. Never been a fan. They act like they're the center of the universe and when have they won anything?

As far as Kessel. The marriage was a combination of an over zealous fan/media base and a player who was lazy ,selfish and who as their best player was part of a toxic culture. Kessel doesnt get a free pass there.
And Kessel moves to Pittsburgh where they have HOF all time great players who take the pressure off of Phil. YET he still creates an environment where they are forced to remove him. Again that's on phil.

He's played in two places. Both wanted him out NOW. Says a lot.

With 9 years worth of moderating political discussions under my belt it takes a lot to get under my skin. More than anyone here can (or could) ever dish out. ;)

However....the comment about Arizona “where virtually nobody cares about hockey” is a statement most internet trolls often use to describe the Arizona market. Which is why I said you weren’t helping your cause much even if you weren’t deliberately trying to castigate the fan base.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
With 9 years worth of moderating political discussions under my belt it takes a lot to get under my skin. More than anyone here can (or could) ever dish out. ;)

However....the comment about Arizona “where virtually nobody cares about hockey” is a statement most internet trolls often use to describe the Arizona market. Which is why I said you weren’t helping your cause much even if you weren’t deliberately trying to castigate the fan base.
Under the context of Kessel playing in the rabid Toronto market to coming here and playing in this market do you think it's inaccurate to describe Arizona as a place "where virtually nobody cares about hockey'?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Under the context of Kessel playing in the rabid Toronto market to coming here and playing in this market do you think it's inaccurate to describe Arizona as a place "where virtually nobody cares about hockey'?
Under the context of being on an AZ Coyote's fan board do you think It's smart to talk about people not caring? Does it matter if there are a million fans or 20K?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think we are a bubble playoff team.I havent analyzed it yet but it's still going to be tough. look how much chicago improved . Teams that were on the outside looking in got better too.
But IF we make playoffs can you imagine this butter soft team playing the Bruins or Blues after watching what they did?
chyka needs a new recipe not just the analytics.
Its tough for every team to make the playoffs, Blues had the worst record in early January and won it all. Too early to tell anything other than it won't be easy. Lets get in first then worry about what we are missing, don't get the cart in front of the horse:)

Reactions: azcanuck

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
BTW Kessel was so hard done by and abused by the Toronto market he took his day with the Cup there when he won. Toronto moved Kessel because they intended to tank for Matthews and wanted players who could help that happen, and Kessel, Phaneuf and such were not who they wanted leading the new wave of kids. A couple of reporters wrote negative pieces but it was not widespread .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

White. Hot. Take.

Damn.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Under the context of being on an AZ Coyote's fan board do you think It's smart to talk about people not caring? Does it matter if there are a million fans or 20K?
Under the context of talking about Phil Kessel and his time in Toronto playing in front of the rabid fan/media base and then coming here is it inaccurate to describe the coyotes fan /media base where "virtually nobody cares about hockey"?
And of course it does matter if it's 20K or one million if your trying to put things in context.
Tough one for you I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad