The Athletic - Boston 2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 29 Boston Bruins

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Aug 13, 2019.

1. pemulis

pemulis Registered User

postdoc
    I see what you are saying. However, these lists weight first round picks much higher than picks made later, just look at who he left off the list. It's a by product of do-it-all scouts. The Bruins actually excel at the late round picks. I think Steen is going to be a very good get, similarly I think Hughes, Shen, Hall, and Olsen all have the opportunity to be good in the NHL. Will they all? Probably not. But a couple of those guys are going to be better than some of the 1st rounders highlighted as being can't miss. Also, these are the skaters that Pronman has probably seen the least. Exacerbating his biases. In sum, yes, bottom five in 1st round talent, but top five in later round talent. That shouldn't equate to 26th or worse.

2. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered User

Pronman loves upside so it’s no surprise Boston is so low. Boston’s greatest strength is how high so many of their prospects floors are. Not how high the ceilings are. He’s rather a prospect with top end ability like josh ho sang or Daniel sprong Vs someone like debrusk who has a great shot at top 9 but a slim one at 100 points. Meanwhile ho sang has a slim chance at top 9 but a slightly higher than debrusk chance at 100 points. Therefore someone like ho sang is more valuable than a prospect with debrusks profile.

PatriceBergeronFan likes this.
  3. KnightofBoston

KnightofBoston Charlie MackTruck

Science Education
    Funny thing is

I can remember years they placed really low and did extremely well both in the playoffs and reg season

And years they placed high and did piss poor

Really doesn’t matter, they’ve been ranked low for awhile now and yet our pipeline continues to pay off

Glove Malfunction likes this.
  4. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Registered User

Home Page:
    This is exactly right.

The Bruins and Pronman see players in very, very different ways.

5. smithformeragent

smithformeragent Moderator

\
    ****ing Dombroskwi...

6. JOKER 192

JOKER 192 Just a Fan

At the end of the day I'm OK with our prospects pool regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. I think we have all we need , especially if someone can step up and fill that 2RW spot.

The D prospects we have should be able to fill the holes we'll have going forward for a good while, I think we may even have to many.

Time will tell as far as our forward prospects go but, we're good for now and perhaps can restock before Bergy and Krejci need replacing . They aren't showing any signs of regression yet. I mean, if we had a top 6 center he's not taking Bergy or Krejci's spot anytime soon anyway.

7. BostonBob

BostonBob 4 Ever The Greatest

Bartender / Actor
    Ummm....no.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TCB, Chief Nine, Spooner st and 3 others like this.
  8. Jim

Jim Registered User

Both are great picks. And we’re always excited to get new players. What I mean is, at the time of the pick they weren’t as thrilling as when we selected Thornton and Seguin.

Maybe you “knew” that Pastrnak was going to be what he turned out to be. I think most considered us lucky that he fell, and proved to be this good.

Same for McAvoy. #14 doesn’t generate the same buzz as a top 3 or so pick. Turned out great for us though.

Lo97 likes this.
  9. BostonBob

BostonBob 4 Ever The Greatest

Bartender / Actor
    OK - that makes sense.

I did not but I'm certainly happy the way things turned out. :thumbu:

Lo97, Blowfish and Jim like this.
  10. jgatie

jgatie Registered User Sponsor

So we haven't had any "exciting" picks because we haven't actually picked in the top 3? Considering what you have to do to pick in the top 3 (Kessel trade is the exception), I'd say that's a good thing.

11. Jim

Jim Registered User

I agree. It is the result of a good thing. We’ve been that good that long. The Seguin pick was a fluke as a result of a trade.

The last time we had a run, due to our performance, at an expected franchise-type player was way back in ‘97.

Contrast that with Edmonton, who thought they were drafting their savior every year, for almost 5 seasons, and still stink.

12. Baddkarma

Baddkarma El Guapo to most...

Bruins seems to be a middle of the pack prospect base right now. That said, they lack any real dynamic talent at the prospect level and have failed to produce solutions at positions of need the last few years especially come playoff time. More a product of drafting low for a decade than anything else.

All in all just another pre-season click bait article really.

4ORRBRUIN and Blowfish like this.
  13. Blowfish

Blowfish Registered User

What was exciting to me was this year's Stanley Cup final.

BruinsNetwork likes this.
  14. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

15. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    No, it loses credibility the moment they have Pronman, a huge pom pom waiver for Leafland doing any dissection on anything Bruins

I don`t think the B`s system is full of A list prospects so that likely hurts a bit but I think there are some kids who, if things fall into place, will play a part in the B`s future

If a team drafts in all rounds, I would consider if 2 of those prospects wind up playing NHL minutes for the B`s that`s a pretty good percentage as the draft is just a crap shoot

16. PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

The Bruins need to take a few gambles on those high potential players as well rather than the focus on "floors". A mixture of both should be the goal.

Lo97, Spooner st and JOKER 192 like this.
  17. DKH

DKH Registered User

18. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered User

Pronmans whole thing is dahlia though. If you have 20 prospects and they all play 10 years on the 3rd line vs 20 prospects and 19 don’t play a minute but 1 is a hall of fame caliber player pronman would say the later has a stronger system.

19. CamFan81

CamFan81 HF Snob Agitator

20. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

This list is a joke.

21. DKH

DKH Registered User

22. remer

remer Registered User

Well the fact is the Bruins don't have a great prospect pool. History does paint the picture for the Bruins. The 2007-09 drafts really hurt the Bruins with 1st round busts of Hamil, Colborne and Caron. 2010- 12 has nothing much left from 1st rounders Sequin, Hamilton and Subban. Sequin trade may go down as one of the worst in history, next to the Joe Thornton trade. In 2013 we have Arnesson and Cehlarik as last hopes. 2014 we hit gold with Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen and Bjork. The Lucic and Hamilton trades gave the Bruins a chance to recoup some top draft picks and we know what happen in the 2015 draft. In 2016 we hit gold with McAvoy. So, the rest is what the future has to see. Donny has some talent on the team. Hopefully he can pick up some 1st round picks if he makes so bold moves. or if the Bruins fall out of a playoff spot this year, it might be time to move some pieces for some top young talent.

23. agreen36

agreen36 Boo

Yes our prospect pool is near the bottom of the league but first of all being near the bottom doesn't mean our pool is bad or we don't have any good prospects - just means most teams have better pools. People get so up in arms over this - of course we're near the bottom what did you expect? We've been a top team for quite a few years now and we graduated a ton of top prospects in the last 2-3 years (DeBrusk, MacAvoy, Carlo, Heinen). So it's a little bare right now but we're still one of the best teams in the league. Can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Sweeney really cares about this though. Our prospect pool was awful when Sweeney took over and look what he did in a very short amount of time. I'm sure he sees it draining and has a plan.

Do I think it could have been a bit better based on some poor picks? Yes. But oh well we made game 7 of the cup final pick your battles.

Lo97 and Estlin like this.
  24. LouJersey

LouJersey Al<3xxx

Mr. Lindsey Pelas
  25. LouJersey

LouJersey Al<3xxx

Mr. Lindsey Pelas
    Sweeney drafts "safe" players and to me that's fine if he supplements when he needs to like last deadline. They don't draft defensive defensemen or forwards that can only play a top 2 role, they are off that. When a guy like Spooner misses, you have nothing. He can't play down the lineup. If a guy like Senyshyn misses there is a very good chance he can play a bottom 6 role. If Freddy isn't a 2C, or Beecher, they have the smarts, grit and wherewithal to play bottom 6. Sure, I'd love them to roll the dice more, but drafting givens and then making deals or signing FA is a way to go as well. Plus they never draft near the top. That's where you generally get the lock skill players, top 10. I know 2015 and all, but that was a fluke IMO and all of those players had questions coming in, you generally don't get drafts like that.