The Athletic - Boston 2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 29 Boston Bruins

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Every where you look the Bruins are 26th or worse. It just is what it is.

They have graduated quite a few, plus they are always good so they draft late / trade picks for rentals....

The 2015 draft is the issue. To only have 2 contributors out of 8 of the top 104 picks at this point four years later is really just a terrible job no matter how you want to slice it. I do still have faith in Senny and Lauzon so we will see if they can be contributors going forward.

I see what you are saying. However, these lists weight first round picks much higher than picks made later, just look at who he left off the list. It's a by product of do-it-all scouts. The Bruins actually excel at the late round picks. I think Steen is going to be a very good get, similarly I think Hughes, Shen, Hall, and Olsen all have the opportunity to be good in the NHL. Will they all? Probably not. But a couple of those guys are going to be better than some of the 1st rounders highlighted as being can't miss. Also, these are the skaters that Pronman has probably seen the least. Exacerbating his biases. In sum, yes, bottom five in 1st round talent, but top five in later round talent. That shouldn't equate to 26th or worse.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pronman loves upside so it’s no surprise Boston is so low. Boston’s greatest strength is how high so many of their prospects floors are. Not how high the ceilings are. He’s rather a prospect with top end ability like josh ho sang or Daniel sprong Vs someone like debrusk who has a great shot at top 9 but a slim one at 100 points. Meanwhile ho sang has a slim chance at top 9 but a slightly higher than debrusk chance at 100 points. Therefore someone like ho sang is more valuable than a prospect with debrusks profile.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Funny thing is

I can remember years they placed really low and did extremely well both in the playoffs and reg season

And years they placed high and did piss poor

Really doesn’t matter, they’ve been ranked low for awhile now and yet our pipeline continues to pay off

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Pronman loves upside so it’s no surprise Boston is so low. Boston’s greatest strength is how high so many of their prospects floors are. Not how high the ceilings are. He’s rather a prospect with top end ability like josh ho sang or Daniel sprong Vs someone like debrusk who has a great shot at top 9 but a slim one at 100 points. Meanwhile ho sang has a slim chance at top 9 but a slightly higher than debrusk chance at 100 points. Therefore someone like ho sang is more valuable than a prospect with debrusks profile.
This is exactly right.

The Bruins and Pronman see players in very, very different ways.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
At the end of the day I'm OK with our prospects pool regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. I think we have all we need , especially if someone can step up and fill that 2RW spot.

The D prospects we have should be able to fill the holes we'll have going forward for a good while, I think we may even have to many.

Time will tell as far as our forward prospects go but, we're good for now and perhaps can restock before Bergy and Krejci need replacing . They aren't showing any signs of regression yet. I mean, if we had a top 6 center he's not taking Bergy or Krejci's spot anytime soon anyway.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Given our success, we haven’t had a REALLY exciting draft pick since Seguin, and before that, Thornton.

Ummm....no.

th
cp-bruins-charlie-mcavoy-120318x.jpg

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Ummm....no.

th
cp-bruins-charlie-mcavoy-120318x.jpg

Both are great picks. And we’re always excited to get new players. What I mean is, at the time of the pick they weren’t as thrilling as when we selected Thornton and Seguin.

Maybe you “knew” that Pastrnak was going to be what he turned out to be. I think most considered us lucky that he fell, and proved to be this good.

Same for McAvoy. #14 doesn’t generate the same buzz as a top 3 or so pick. Turned out great for us though.

Reactions: Lo97

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Both are great picks. And we’re always excited to get new players. What I mean is, at the time of the pick they weren’t as thrilling as when we selected Thornton and Seguin.

Maybe you “knew” that Pastrnak was going to be what he turned out to be. I think most considered us lucky that he fell, and proved to be this good.

Same for McAvoy. #14 doesn’t generate the same buzz as a top 3 or so pick. Turned out great for us though.

So we haven't had any "exciting" picks because we haven't actually picked in the top 3? Considering what you have to do to pick in the top 3 (Kessel trade is the exception), I'd say that's a good thing.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
So we haven't had any "exciting" picks because we haven't actually picked in the top 3? Considering what you have to do to pick in the top 3 (Kessel trade is the exception), I'd say that's a good thing.
I agree. It is the result of a good thing. We’ve been that good that long. The Seguin pick was a fluke as a result of a trade.

The last time we had a run, due to our performance, at an expected franchise-type player was way back in ‘97.

Contrast that with Edmonton, who thought they were drafting their savior every year, for almost 5 seasons, and still stink.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Bruins seems to be a middle of the pack prospect base right now. That said, they lack any real dynamic talent at the prospect level and have failed to produce solutions at positions of need the last few years especially come playoff time. More a product of drafting low for a decade than anything else.

All in all just another pre-season click bait article really.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

What was exciting to me was this year's Stanley Cup final.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I mean, they kinda lose a lot of credibility when they have Mantykivi over Lauzon (or really half the list for that matter)

No, it loses credibility the moment they have Pronman, a huge pom pom waiver for Leafland doing any dissection on anything Bruins

I don`t think the B`s system is full of A list prospects so that likely hurts a bit but I think there are some kids who, if things fall into place, will play a part in the B`s future

If a team drafts in all rounds, I would consider if 2 of those prospects wind up playing NHL minutes for the B`s that`s a pretty good percentage as the draft is just a crap shoot

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

The Bruins need to take a few gambles on those high potential players as well rather than the focus on "floors". A mixture of both should be the goal.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The Athletic - Corey Pronman - Buffalo Has the Top Farm System and It Isn’t Really Close

Ouch

Take out the obvious Dahlin and I’ll take the Bruins 29th ranked group in a slaughter over ‘that vaunted’ Buffalo group

In fairness many of the group have regressed but the message is clear

DKH>Pronman

Pronmans whole thing is dahlia though. If you have 20 prospects and they all play 10 years on the 3rd line vs 20 prospects and 19 don’t play a minute but 1 is a hall of fame caliber player pronman would say the later has a stronger system.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well the fact is the Bruins don't have a great prospect pool. History does paint the picture for the Bruins. The 2007-09 drafts really hurt the Bruins with 1st round busts of Hamil, Colborne and Caron. 2010- 12 has nothing much left from 1st rounders Sequin, Hamilton and Subban. Sequin trade may go down as one of the worst in history, next to the Joe Thornton trade. In 2013 we have Arnesson and Cehlarik as last hopes. 2014 we hit gold with Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen and Bjork. The Lucic and Hamilton trades gave the Bruins a chance to recoup some top draft picks and we know what happen in the 2015 draft. In 2016 we hit gold with McAvoy. So, the rest is what the future has to see. Donny has some talent on the team. Hopefully he can pick up some 1st round picks if he makes so bold moves. or if the Bruins fall out of a playoff spot this year, it might be time to move some pieces for some top young talent.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Yes our prospect pool is near the bottom of the league but first of all being near the bottom doesn't mean our pool is bad or we don't have any good prospects - just means most teams have better pools. People get so up in arms over this - of course we're near the bottom what did you expect? We've been a top team for quite a few years now and we graduated a ton of top prospects in the last 2-3 years (DeBrusk, MacAvoy, Carlo, Heinen). So it's a little bare right now but we're still one of the best teams in the league. Can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Sweeney really cares about this though. Our prospect pool was awful when Sweeney took over and look what he did in a very short amount of time. I'm sure he sees it draining and has a plan.

Do I think it could have been a bit better based on some poor picks? Yes. But oh well we made game 7 of the cup final pick your battles.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yes our prospect pool is near the bottom of the league but first of all being near the bottom doesn't mean our pool is bad or we don't have any good prospects - just means most teams have better pools. People get so up in arms over this - of course we're near the bottom what did you expect? We've been a top team for quite a few years now and we graduated a ton of top prospects in the last 2-3 years (DeBrusk, MacAvoy, Carlo, Heinen). So it's a little bare right now but we're still one of the best teams in the league. Can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Sweeney really cares about this though. Our prospect pool was awful when Sweeney took over and look what he did in a very short amount of time. I'm sure he sees it draining and has a plan.

Do I think it could have been a bit better based on some poor picks? Yes. But oh well we made game 7 of the cup final pick your battles.

Sweeney drafts "safe" players and to me that's fine if he supplements when he needs to like last deadline. They don't draft defensive defensemen or forwards that can only play a top 2 role, they are off that. When a guy like Spooner misses, you have nothing. He can't play down the lineup. If a guy like Senyshyn misses there is a very good chance he can play a bottom 6 role. If Freddy isn't a 2C, or Beecher, they have the smarts, grit and wherewithal to play bottom 6. Sure, I'd love them to roll the dice more, but drafting givens and then making deals or signing FA is a way to go as well. Plus they never draft near the top. That's where you generally get the lock skill players, top 10. I know 2015 and all, but that was a fluke IMO and all of those players had questions coming in, you generally don't get drafts like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad