The Athletic - Boston 2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 29 Boston Bruins

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Sweeney drafts "safe" players and to me that's fine if he supplements when he needs to like last deadline. They don't draft defensive defensemen or forwards that can only play a top 2 role, they are off that. When a guy like Spooner misses, you have nothing. He can't play down the lineup. If a guy like Senyshyn misses there is a very good chance he can play a bottom 6 role. If Freddy isn't a 2C, or Beecher, they have the smarts, grit and wherewithal to play bottom 6. Sure, I'd love them to roll the dice more, but drafting givens and then making deals or signing FA is a way to go as well. Plus they never draft near the top. That's where you generally get the lock skill players, top 10. I know 2015 and all, but that was a fluke IMO and all of those players had questions coming in, you generally don't get drafts like that.
That's a really good way to look at it Lou. The bolded is really important in this discussion as well.

Reactions: LouJersey

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Sweeney drafts "safe" players and to me that's fine if he supplements when he needs to like last deadline. They don't draft defensive defensemen or forwards that can only play a top 2 role, they are off that. When a guy like Spooner misses, you have nothing. He can't play down the lineup. If a guy like Senyshyn misses there is a very good chance he can play a bottom 6 role. If Freddy isn't a 2C, or Beecher, they have the smarts, grit and wherewithal to play bottom 6. Sure, I'd love them to roll the dice more, but drafting givens and then making deals or signing FA is a way to go as well. Plus they never draft near the top. That's where you generally get the lock skill players, top 10. I know 2015 and all, but that was a fluke IMO and all of those players had questions coming in, you generally don't get drafts like that.

That's probably true - and to some extent I get it. When you only have one first round pick, it's in the 20s and your prospect pool is meh I understand gravitating towards a sure bet. You don't get Pastrnak's every day. But at the same time now we're in the position where I feel we have prospects who could benefit from some time on the 4th line but there isn't really a spot for them since we've acquired some fantastic fourth liners through trades (kuraly, wagner, nordstrom).

I feel like this year is going to be a huge test. Probably Chara's last year - guys like Bergeron and Krejci are getting older with no one promising to replace them. I'm confident you can extend this window if you really want to but how competitive will be really be and is it worth it? Do you take a step back at the end of year and go for a mini retool like post 2014 which basically guarantees you won't be competing for a cup until Marchand/Bergeron/Krejci (if he's even still here) are in their mid to late thirties? Or do you try and push through and maybe win a cup but also maybe have absolutely nothing in the cupboard in a few years and an aging, mediocre team?

Ideally we win the cup for real this time and who the f*** cares we won the cup.

God...game 7 hurts me so damn much.

Reactions: LouJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad