Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Im not sure how people can justify paying 30k a year for their kids to play hockey. Yes, it's another way to develop but at that cost it's for the rich, that or people remortgage their house. 100k for three years of prep is ridiculous.

The top players don't pay its only the bottom ones that do usually. The RHA bantam prep team I would say has 14 guys that pay the 30k and 6 that don't. All 6 of those that don't get played and played alot. They probably end up drafted into the WHL and scouted heavily by college teams. If your lucky maybe as one of those 14 you get noticed and drafted but its a long road

Still saying all that you end up paying anywhere from 10 to 15k to play AAA hockey anyway.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The top players don't pay its only the bottom ones that do usually. The RHA bantam prep team I would say has 14 guys that pay the 30k and 6 that don't. All 6 of those that don't get played and played alot. They probably end up drafted into the WHL and scouted heavily by college teams. If your lucky maybe as one of those 14 you get noticed and drafted but its a long road

Still saying all that you end up paying anywhere from 10 to 15k to play AAA hockey anyway.
That sure seems fair. :laugh:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
This is also the 1st year that I have really seen RHA affect the Manitoba midget AAA team and specifically the Wild. I would guess there are at least 5 guys that would be on that Wild roster and make an impact.

I imagine at some point in Western Canada that the only teams you will be able to play on and get drafted high or at all will be CSSHL teams

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don’t get me started on the field of dreams, for profit, hockey development for children industry.

I know hockey is political in Manitoba but it pails in comparison to the horror stories you hear in The GTA league in Ontario. Dads spending a small fortune as “Sponsors” to have their kid placed on good teams.

I don’t want to sound too cynical though because I have both my children in minor hockey and I absolutely love 90% of it and can plug my nose when it comes to some of the stuff.

So then, you would be opposed to genetically engineering one's offspring for optimal athletic attributes? ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So then, you would be opposed to genetically engineering one's offspring for optimal athletic attributes? ;)

People will look back in 50 years andmarvel at how we use to do it without engineering.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I can only talk about BC, mostly mainland hockey.

We're about 5.7K for our Major Midget program, but we use sponsorship to pay for all of our non-BC Hockey fees.

That makes us way cheaper than any of the academies around here. Someone quoted 6K BWC (Burnaby Winter Club) here, but that's not close from what I've heard.

As you pointed out, top players pay a lot less, as they try to pull talent away from us... but from what I've heard we are generally cheaper still.

EDIT: I hear team fees for some teams light on sponsorship can climb up to an extra 5K.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I can only talk about BC, mostly mainland hockey.

We're about 5.7K for our Major Midget program, but we use sponsorship to pay for all of our non-BC Hockey fees.

That makes us way cheaper than any of the academies around here. Someone quoted 6K BWC (Burnaby Winter Club) here, but that's not close from what I've heard.

As you pointed out, top players pay a lot less, as they try to pull talent away from us... but from what I've heard we are generally cheaper still.

EDIT: I hear team fees for some teams light on sponsorship can climb up to an extra 5K.

My step son played for the Hawks and then the Thrashers. Hawks AAA was about 7k in fees + Travel and the Thrashers was about 8k for fees.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is also the 1st year that I have really seen RHA affect the Manitoba midget AAA team and specifically the Wild. I would guess there are at least 5 guys that would be on that Wild roster and make an impact.

I imagine at some point in Western Canada that the only teams you will be able to play on and get drafted high or at all will be CSSHL teams

Yeah the majority of kids are going to these schools. At some point they will have to start giving out scholarships though if they don't already.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Plus the 30k includes schooling, food, lodging and all travel fees. And with some schools gives you access to personal trainers as well as training facilities. Pretty sure our local midget team gets Y memberships... As well as a shit load of gear. Hockey is pricey no matter where you are. Kids in Toronto drop 15k easily to play Greater Toronto. Let's not pretend like its any different anywhere else.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Plus the 30k includes schooling, food, lodging and all travel fees. And with some schools gives you access to personal trainers as well as training facilities. Pretty sure our local midget team gets Y memberships... As well as a **** load of gear. Hockey is pricey no matter where you are. Kids in Toronto drop 15k easily to play Greater Toronto. Let's not pretend like its any different anywhere else.
I am in Vancouver and the amount spent on sports in insane. Personal coaches for every sport. Figure skating is probably the priciest of the sports besides the horse sports.

I have a theory that the reason so many nhl offspring make nhl is partly that they have most $$$ to spend on kids. Quality and science of Coaching and training have increased staggeringly with hockey.

BC Alberta and Ontario have so much disposable income compared to Manitoba.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Plus the 30k includes schooling, food, lodging and all travel fees. And with some schools gives you access to personal trainers as well as training facilities. Pretty sure our local midget team gets Y memberships... As well as a **** load of gear. Hockey is pricey no matter where you are. Kids in Toronto drop 15k easily to play Greater Toronto. Let's not pretend like its any different anywhere else.

For our team, BC Hockey fees pay: buses, hotels, gear (helmets, gloves, cages, socks, pant covers, and dry land gear), staff (GM, AGM, HC, 2x AC, bench trainer), 3 practices a week, 1 dryland session a week and 2 regulation games a week.

Our “team fees” (which we use sponsors to cover) covers stuff like tape, supplies, dressing room installation, skate sharpening, 1 skills practice a week, food, team apparel, support staff (dryland trainer, goalie coach, skills coach, video coach), etc., and anything involved with the Mac’s tournament.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ya. I did some testing on CSSHL vs BCMML. BCMML still deastroys CSSHL in getting players to BCHL, WHL, and NCAA, but interesting both are improving.

Well for sure it currently does the CSSHL isn't very old in it's current format.
6 of the top 10 picks in last years bantam draft spent at least one season in the CSSHL. But often kids play in both CSSHL and Midget programs. Seems to be pretty fluid. I think the more exciting part is having elite kids playing elite kids. OHL and QMJHL deal with much larger populations in smaller areas. I think that has something to do with why they produce such high end talent all the time.

Just look at all the top WHL talent in this years draft.

Dylan Cozens played for Delta and Yale before making the Hurricanes.
Bowem Byram played AMMHL and with Yale.
Josh Williams played for Delta and Yale.
Sasha Mutala played with BWC and BCMML
Massimo Rizzo played BWC.
Kirby Dach, Matthew Robertson and Peyton Krebs played AMMHL.

Seems to be a pretty big mix right now. BCMML and AMMHL are still producing well. But I think that will change soon enough.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am in Vancouver and the amount spent on sports in insane. Personal coaches for every sport. Figure skating is probably the priciest of the sports besides the horse sports.

I have a theory that the reason so many nhl offspring make nhl is partly that they have most $$$ to spend on kids. Quality and science of Coaching and training have increased staggeringly with hockey.

BC Alberta and Ontario have so much disposable income compared to Manitoba.

It's actually pretty insane how much sport costs these days. Shit even dance is absolutely ridiculous what some parents pay.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For our team, BC Hockey fees pay: buses, hotels, gear (helmets, gloves, cages, socks, pant covers, and dry land gear), staff (GM, AGM, HC, 2x AC, bench trainer), 3 practices a week, 1 dryland session a week and 2 regulation games a week.

Our “team fees” (which we use sponsors to cover) covers stuff like tape, supplies, dressing room installation, skate sharpening, 1 skills practice a week, food, team apparel, support staff (dryland trainer, goalie coach, skills coach, video coach), etc., and anything involved with the Mac’s tournament.

Just look at what RHA offers their kids and tell me that program is worse than yours.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well for sure it currently does the CSSHL isn't very old in it's current format.
6 of the top 10 picks in last years bantam draft spent at least one season in the CSSHL. But often kids play in both CSSHL and Midget programs. Seems to be pretty fluid. I think the more exciting part is having elite kids playing elite kids. OHL and QMJHL deal with much larger populations in smaller areas. I think that has something to do with why they produce such high end talent all the time.

Just look at all the top WHL talent in this years draft.

Dylan Cozens played for Delta and Yale before making the Hurricanes.
Bowem Byram played AMMHL and with Yale.
Josh Williams played for Delta and Yale.
Sasha Mutala played with BWC and BCMML
Massimo Rizzo played BWC.
Kirby Dach, Matthew Robertson and Peyton Krebs played AMMHL.

Seems to be a pretty big mix right now. BCMML and AMMHL are still producing well. But I think that will change soon enough.

Ya for us most kids play CSSHL before they play here... but wonder if that changes with the introduction of Minor Midget now, and soon Major Bantom.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ya for us most kids play CSSHL before they play here... but wonder if that changes with the introduction of Minor Midget now, and soon Major Bantom.

I'd imagine this is the provincial programs way of trying to compete with the CSSHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They don’t offer HockeyData analytics... ;)

haha no but they do pretty much everything else. Those kids do a half day of school, and then devot the rest of their day from 1:00pm to 5pm training. They have access to skating, skill, passing and shooting coaches every single day of the week. They study position, team and individual tactics every week day. They also work with forwards and defencemen separately with their own coaches. The goalies have access to two professional goalie coaches every single day. Those kids also have access to the ELITE performance center every week day where they work with a personal trainer with full nutrition, psychology and physiology access every day.

These programs aren't just about your kid playing hockey. They are about your kid living hockey.

Carson Lambos and Seth Jarvis both went there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A lot of families waste a lot of money chasing the pro hockey dream. Someone needs to help them calculate the odds so they can assess the probability that their kid will make it, and invest accordingly.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A lot of families waste a lot of money chasing the pro hockey dream. Someone needs to help them calculate the odds so they can assess the probability that their kid will make it, and invest accordingly.

Yeah it's tough to tell someone thier kid sucks though. Easy to say their kid is good. I mean if you're Connor McDavids parents you likely know how good your kid is and will invest whatever it takes to make sure they get better as the payout is almost guaranteed to be worth it. Hockey is becoming a sport of the upper class now more than ever.
Participation is down across the board for kids in sports in Canada, specifically in lower income areas. There is always a trend with sporty parents having sporty kids though. Soccer is really taking off too, likely because of the low cost of participation. Hockey will never be a cheap sport, even the gear alone is probably a higher cost then 2 or 3 season of low level soccer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad