Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Canadian Sport School Hockey League. Started in 2009 with just 5 schools across BC and Alberta. As of the coming season they have 19 schools now participating from Victoria, BC to Winnipeg, MB in the provinces of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. With 5 different levels of play; Bantam Varsity, Bantam Prep, Elite 15's, Midget Varsity and Midget Prep. Among some of the more prestiges schools that gave joined are Notre Dame Hounds out of Wilcox, SK, Burnaby Winter Club out of Burnaby, BC, Pursuit of Excellence Prep out of Kelowna, BC.

The main reason the OHL and QMJHL produce such high level players in my opinion is they have a dense population competing in highly competitive leagues. Whereas Western Canadian leagues are very spread out among major cities. What this does is bring the 11,000,000 population into an elite travel league. Which I think also prepares kids for the travel schedules of the WHL and eventually NHL. Of course these are Prep Schools so the costs are massive.

Cool, sounds like a good idea. What they need to do now is figure out a way to lower the costs for hockey in general

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Cool, sounds like a good idea. What they need to do now is figure out a way to lower the costs for hockey in general

Yeah most of these schools vary in costs.. BWC is around $3000 a season, whereas Pursuit of Excellence costs about $5000 a season. On top of additional costs associated with travel and of course equipment it can be incredibly costly. But it does line up with some of the costs in Ontario's elite minor leagues which is around $3000-$6000 a season. Like the Greater Toronto and Eastern Leagues and the like.

Looking through some of the schools.
Banff Hockey Academy costs about $35,500 a season.
Notre Damn College is $36,500 a season.

Note that a lot of these schools provide room and board, meals and access to state of the art training equipment.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Going to use Google Sheets to do some scouting for myself. Figured I'd make it available to everyone to have a look at. There are tabs on the bottom to view different things. Separated by Centers (or guys who I think will play center), Wingers (sometimes includes smaller centers who I think will play wing), Defencemen, Goalies and then my own rankings (which aren't done yet).

You can view it here at any time and even while I make live edits.
Daximus' 2019 NHL Draft Sheets

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Going to use Google Sheets to do some scouting for myself. Figured I'd make it available to everyone to have a look at. There are tabs on the bottom to view different things. Separated by Centers (or guys who I think will play center), Wingers (sometimes includes smaller centers who I think will play wing), Defencemen, Goalies and then my own rankings (which aren't done yet).

You can view it here at any time and even while I make live edits.
Daximus' 2019 NHL Draft Sheets

Cool, I will be sure to be looking into them throughout the year. Do you have a scale that you will be using for the player skill/talent categories?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Cool, I will be sure to be looking into them throughout the year. Do you have a scale that you will be using for the player skill/talent categories?

No but if you see a little black tab in the corner of a players cell it means I have written some notes about those specific skill categories. I just put one in the skating category of Jack Hughes if you want to see how it looks. As I get more views I'll add more to the notes. I wanted to do a scale category but it's tough to implement effectively.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No but if you see a little black tab in the corner of a players cell it means I have written some notes about those specific skill categories. I just put one in the skating category of Jack Hughes if you want to see how it looks. As I get more views I'll add more to the notes. I wanted to do a scale category but it's tough to implement effectively.

Gotcha, I see how you are going to go about it. You are correct in that it would be really difficult to build one and rank players effectively against each other.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gotcha, I see how you are going to go about it. You are correct in that it would be really difficult to build one and rank players effectively against each other.

Yeah it would be an undertaking. I just want to kind of get everyone in one area where you can compare them.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
D Anttoni Honka
Liiga 20 GP
5v5 P/60 over 2.00
5v5 CF% over 60

I mean...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
D Anttoni Honka
Liiga 20 GP
5v5 P/60 over 2.00
5v5 CF% over 60

I mean...
In the U18s, there was something about him that reminded me of Buff. He tended to be a bit of a rover, always skating the puck out of the D-zone and exploring uncharted territories in the offensive zone. If my memory serves me, he has quite a heavy shot too. The problem is... while he is money offensively, Jesus Christ, was he ever terrible defensively. Luckily he's 16.

Reactions: Trilliann

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Draft already shaping up to be a good one.

Suzuki with 9 points in 3 games in the O.
Cozens with 7 points in 3 games including 4 goals in the W.
Dach with 7 points in 2 games in the W.
Kakko 7 points in 7 games in Liiga.
Kaliyev with 5 points in 2 games in the O.
York 5 points in 2 USDP games.
Newhook with 10 points in 8 BCHL games.

This draft is already shaping up to be very deep. Usually around January we start to see a lot of risers as well so with the top kids preforming well and the inevitable risers we should be able to get a good player at any point in the 1st round and possibly even the 2nd. Really think we should hold onto our top 2 picks for this draft unless some crazy opportunity comes knocking.

Reactions: Oseductive

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Draft already shaping up to be a good one.

Suzuki with 9 points in 3 games in the O.
Cozens with 7 points in 3 games including 4 goals in the W.
Dach with 7 points in 2 games in the W.
Kakko 7 points in 7 games in Liiga.
Kaliyev with 5 points in 2 games in the O.
York 5 points in 2 USDP games.
Newhook with 10 points in 8 BCHL games.

This draft is already shaping up to be very deep. Usually around January we start to see a lot of risers as well so with the top kids preforming well and the inevitable risers we should be able to get a good player at any point in the 1st round and possibly even the 2nd. Really think we should hold onto our top 2 picks for this draft unless some crazy opportunity comes knocking.
Thanks for keeping us informed Daximus.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The Canadian Sport School Hockey League. Started in 2009 with just 5 schools across BC and Alberta. As of the coming season they have 19 schools now participating from Victoria, BC to Winnipeg, MB in the provinces of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. With 5 different levels of play; Bantam Varsity, Bantam Prep, Elite 15's, Midget Varsity and Midget Prep. Among some of the more prestiges schools that gave joined are Notre Dame Hounds out of Wilcox, SK, Burnaby Winter Club out of Burnaby, BC, Pursuit of Excellence Prep out of Kelowna, BC.

The main reason the OHL and QMJHL produce such high level players in my opinion is they have a dense population competing in highly competitive leagues a the grassroots level. Whereas Western Canadian leagues are very spread out among major cities. What this does is bring the 11,000,000 population into an elite travel league. Which I think also prepares kids for the travel schedules of the WHL and eventually NHL. Of course these are Prep Schools so the costs are massive.

CSSHL has a lot of pay to play issues.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
CSSHL has a lot of pay to play issues.
Im not sure how people can justify paying 30k a year for their kids to play hockey. Yes, it's another way to develop but at that cost it's for the rich, that or people remortgage their house. 100k for three years of prep is ridiculous.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah most of these schools vary in costs.. BWC is around $3000 a season, whereas Pursuit of Excellence costs about $5000 a season. On top of additional costs associated with travel and of course equipment it can be incredibly costly. But it does line up with some of the costs in Ontario's elite minor leagues which is around $3000-$6000 a season. Like the Greater Toronto and Eastern Leagues and the like.

Looking through some of the schools.
Banff Hockey Academy costs about $35,500 a season.
Notre Damn College is $36,500 a season.

Note that a lot of these schools provide room and board, meals and access to state of the art training equipment.
For a team like Banff, playing there is mostly for prestige. They stink in that league every year and hardly produce any great players to the next level. Most of the players on those teams waste their money, they get the experience of travelling and such but it's not helping many of them move on. Many of those teams are worse than AAA level.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Im not sure how people can justify paying 30k a year for their kids to play hockey. Yes, it's another way to develop but at that cost it's for the rich, that or people remortgage their house. 100k for three years of prep is ridiculous.

Don’t get me started on the field of dreams, for profit, hockey development for children industry.

I know hockey is political in Manitoba but it pails in comparison to the horror stories you hear in The GTA league in Ontario. Dads spending a small fortune as “Sponsors” to have their kid placed on good teams.

I don’t want to sound too cynical though because I have both my children in minor hockey and I absolutely love 90% of it and can plug my nose when it comes to some of the stuff.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Don’t get me started on the field of dreams, for profit, hockey development for children industry.

I know hockey is political in Manitoba but it pails in comparison to the horror stories you hear in The GTA league in Ontario. Dads spending a small fortune as “Sponsors” to have their kid placed on good teams.

I don’t want to sound too cynical though because I have both my children in minor hockey and I absolutely love 90% of it and can plug my nose when it comes to some of the stuff.
I hear you. Ive seen it all as a player, coach and parent. I could write a book, some sad stuff that goes on out there.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep watch the Sens win 1OA and Colorado builds a powerhouse because of it. Literally the only thing Dorion will ever be remembered for.
It would be hilarious to have Dorion sitting with the other GMs at the Draft Lottery show...

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I no longer work for HockeyProspect so I can finally comment on draftees and such. :D

I'm putting up shift by shift videos of 2019's and 2020's here.

And uploading a whole bunch of individual highlights here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I no longer work for HockeyProspect so I can finally comment on draftees and such. :D

I'm putting up shift by shift videos of 2019's and 2020's here.

And uploading a whole bunch of individual highlights here.

This is great news!!!

I might actually be able to get excited about prospects again this year........not having a 1st round pick then picking at the end of the 2nd round completely buzz killed last draft for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad