GDT: 2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC 5:00 PDT/8:00 EST NBSCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ok guys so here’s my experience from the Draft Party last night: I sat in the last row on the floor level of MSG, and as it turned out I was sitting next to Adam Fox’s brother and their neighbors! I know, I was thinking the same thing ah it’s just stupid kids talking ****, but when they interviewed Adam on the scoreboard you could see clear as day this kid was Fox’s brother. They looked exactly the same and sounded the same. They were all cool as hell and told me stories about the Fox home and how the dad set up a roller rink in the basement. These guys have been neighbors and friends pretty much their whole lives so it was really cool for me to experience these guys being so happy. I felt like a dick but I asked his brother if it was true about how he didn’t wanna play for Calgary or Carolina because he wanted to only play for the Rangers. His exact response was “That’s fake news.” He said while it is true the Fox family are big Rangers fans the real reason Adam didn’t want to sign in Calgary and Carolina was because they both had a lot of defensive prospects and he didn’t feel like he would have gotten an opportunity to play. Interesting info I had to share with you guys. His brother apparently was also a really good hockey player and then he got some freak hip condition and had to stop playing at a young age. The brother also played against DeAngelo while growing up which I found funny and cool. They were all bombed by the end of the party but it was a cool experience just randomly sitting next to his brother and neighbors, I was like why the **** are these fraternity looking dudes going crazy every time Adam Fox’s name was mentioned? Also about the setup, yeah the Rangers did have some prospects there that you could meet but the lines were awful. They did an awful job presenting the draft in general, after the Rangers pick they took the draft off of the scoreboard for a few picks and had the MSG staff give their take on the Kakko pick and a lot fans were pissed because they wanted to watch the draft, not hear John Giannone hype up Kakko. I left after like the 9th pick and thankfully I did because the Rangers didn’t do anything the rest of the night.

When I bought my house in 1988 one of the first things I did was yank the carpet off the basement floor. It was just one long piece of smooth concrete slab underneath. About 35-40' wide and about 70-75' long with something of a stairwell in the middle but workaroundable--put some plexiglass inside over the outside windows--set up a goal and that was my own private hockey rink for about 25 years. I could practice anytime of the year. My wife wasn't always pleased about it--there's a lot of wear and tear particularly to the walls--but she got to fix it up a few years back--my knees are kind of shot anyway.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Agree, for what he's going to cost I don't want to sign him.

I get why some fans like the guy and what he brings, but he's a Ranger that I was always "meh" about. I don't dislike him, but I don't really care if he's a Ranger or not. I could never really put my finger on it.

I was thinking Kreider/Buch were being dangled in talks - maybe Barrie, Ristolainen, Nylander, etc... Not sure who their dancing partners were, but I really don't think they were looking for picks for those two. Maybe @Edge can add some insight to that. Vesey, though, I think is toast with our upcoming wings and wing depth.

Vesey was never getting a first by himself, so without a larger component he’s a day two (or beyond) trade.

I know of 3 teams that have inquired about him and remain interested. A few outlets reported 4.

Kreider is still a more probable than not trade target, though I think Buch is of the list for at least a little bit.

Now if someone like Nylander were to become available, I could see him coming right back to the forefront.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
So, those in the know - Who ****ed up in the 1st round and who did a fantastic job?

No one here or anywhere else knows which player will be better than any other player other than guys like Hughes and Kakko should be very good.

The idea that a bunch of fans know more than the professionals is ludicrous. Anyone can be right or wrong when they say that Pick A is way better than Pick B.

This is an inexact science, else certain teams would always get it right or wrong. Doesn't happen.

When someone says "that was a great pick" or "that was a terrible pick", I think it's funny that people think they know how it will work out.

Reactions: William Moneylander

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Maybe I'm missing something here so maybe you and possibly others can help me.

Why would it be a bad thing if the only things we did come Monday morning was flip the 37th overall for Fox, the 20th overall for Trouba and select Kakko at 2nd overall?

Why do we need to trade Kreider if his salary demands end up not being unreasonable? I'm in the camp that Kreider now that Kakko and Kravtsov will be added to the mix just might have his best season of his career this upcoming season but that's neither here nor there. Unless we are signing Panarin which is not a sure thing at all, not having Kreiders physicality, speed and presence would be a negative in my mind.

We have accumulated alot of assets since 2017 and these assets are going to ultimately need to have roster spots to win...yes?

I guess what I'm saying is that in my mind we have clearly now moved to the second half of the rebuild if not 2/3rd's through it and tho it's not like JD and Gorton are finished the rebuild, unless we were somehow going to get a top 10 pick in 2020 for Kreider, I think keeping him to at least the trade deadline is the way to go.

Now if we can get some decent draft capital for a Vesey or a Names, sure I'm on board. But to just deal Kreider who has quite a bit of value for a couple of 2nd and 3rd round picks doesn't seem to me like a good allocation of assets. Seeing that it didn't happen this year, I say we try to sign Kreider if he's agreeable to a contract that makes sense unless Gorton is blown away by a deal here we get a 2020 pick in the single digits and more either around July 1 if we somehow pull off a Panarin signing or we do something at the deadline.

Nothing bad about what the Rangers have done at all. It’s been a great week for them.

Re: Kreider. If indeed they’ve decided they are not resigning him, which it sounds like they have, I don’t think they want it hovering over their heads. They’re not going to sell him for 80 cents on the dollar mind you, but I think the preference remains to move him sooner rather than later if possible.

I suspect, like Hayes, that at this point with the draft having passed they would prefer a younger talent over a 2020 pick.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’d love to know Gorton’s off the record thoughts

I’d be fuming if I were him

I coulda walked out tonight with Kakko, Zegras, and Puljujarvi

And didn’t because the league couldn’t figure out what it wants the cap to be

From what I know of the man, Gorton doesn’t fall in love with the deals. The Rangers have come very close multiple times over the years to making big moves in the draft and it hasn’t worked out.

That’s another reason why having the second pick was huge for them. For the first time, their fate wasn’t in the hands of a bunch of variables.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In a way I'm okay with Kreider not getting moved. When you see no trades you get the idea that teams didn't want to give up their 1st's and I would rather no trade than just to trade for the sake of making a trade and accepting less than you really want but.........this allows the Rangers to bid on Panarin and if they don't get Artemi they can revisit whether or not to re-sign Chris. It at least gives them that backup option. Kreider is a very good player--it's just that step to real stardom has always been something that's eluded him. A line of Zibanejad, Kakko and him though would IMO be a very, very dangerous line.

The deal it would seem just wasn't there leading up to the draft and last night.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Vesey was never getting a first by himself, so without a larger component he’s a day two (or beyond) trade.

I know of 3 teams that have inquired about him and remain interested. A few outlets reported 4.

Kreider is still a more probable than not trade target, though I think Buch is of the list for at least a little bit.

Now if someone like Nylander were to become available, I could see him coming right back to the forefront.

You're talking William?--not Alex.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t have any regrets with the Fox trade.

Of course getting him for a later second would be great. But there’s no one on the board I would trade for him right now. The price is the price and the Rangers got their guy and moved on - just like their approach at the draft.

Fox to me is worth a first. So our first is essentially Kakko and a Fox as a “re-entry.”

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
No Kreider. No Panarin. Kreider isn’t worth the type of money other similar players are getting and requesting. Any team giving Panarin $11M-$12 per over 7 years is asking for big trouble.

The Rangers don’t need those players. They have Kakko and Kravstov. Both of them should become top line forwards and they will cost a small fortune to sign in three years. Kakko is getting a max rookie contract. $2,850,000 in bonuses. If he becomes what everyone thinks he will be, the Rangers will need to keep that space open for his bonuses instead of rolling them into the following season.

The talent in this draft really dropped off after the 17 top players. If the Rangers has remained at #20, they would have needed to trade up to get a top player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No Kreider. No Panarin. Kreider isn’t worth the type of money other similar players are getting and requesting. Any team giving Panarin $11M-$12 per over 7 years is asking for big trouble.

The Rangers don’t need those players. They have Kakko and Kravstov. Both of them should become top line forwards and they will cost a small fortune to sign in three years. Kakko is getting a max rookie contract. $2,850,000 in bonuses. If he becomes what everyone thinks he will be, the Rangers will need to keep that space open for his bonuses instead of rolling them into the following season.

The talent in this draft really dropped off after the 17 top players. If the Rangers has remained at #20, they would have needed to trade up to get a top player.
No one here or anywhere else knows which player will be better than any other player other than guys like Hughes and Kakko should be very good.

The idea that a bunch of fans know more than the professionals is ludicrous. Anyone can be right or wrong when they say that Pick A is way better than Pick B.

This is an inexact science, else certain teams would always get it right or wrong. Doesn't happen.

When someone says "that was a great pick" or "that was a terrible pick", I think it's funny that people think they know how it will work out.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I try to tell people that a better way to think of this is, whose draft do you think is the most interesting or do you think has the most upside.

So it’s a shift in terms from good/bad to like/don’t like.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Anyone who is upset about moving the #20 or the early #2 in the Trouba or Fox trades are bonkers.

Teams could only wish those picks turn into the calibre players those players are. I make those trades 10/10 times.

If the Rangers are enamoured with any of the players that slipped, they have to assets to make a deal work, provided the other party is interested in making a trade. Takes 2 to tango.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Would the lack of trigger pulling yesterday open up thendoor for us to make a hockey trade for someone like Nylander? @Edge

I think so, I think one of the big things holding up deals is the lack of a confirmed cap number for next season.

Once that's out there I think we would see more deals being made. I also think that's where Kreider will hold a lot more value due to his cap hit and ability for the Rangers to retain.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Nothing bad about what the Rangers have done at all. It’s been a great week for them.

Re: Kreider. If indeed they’ve decided they are not resigning him, which it sounds like they have, I don’t think they want it hovering over their heads. They’re not going to sell him for 80 cents on the dollar mind you, but I think the preference remains to move him sooner rather than later if possible.

I suspect, like Hayes, that at this point with the draft having passed they would prefer a younger talent over a 2020 pick.
I imagine something around Kaut + another prospect from Colorado is still an option. In fact, I’d think Colorado would be more amenable after the day they had yesterday.

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Would the lack of trigger pulling yesterday open up thendoor for us to make a hockey trade for someone like Nylander? @Edge

Yes, potentially at some point.

I don’t think that time is now.

After we see what happens with Panarin, Kreider, Marner, Kapanen, etc., I think the picture becomes more clear. As that happens, it becomes easier to figure out what’s possible and not possible.

But that’s why you stay in contact with other teams.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
18 more selections before NYR can draft again. There's a lot of really interesting names on the board that I would imagine will go very quick in round 2.

Best of the rest...

1) Kayilev: def not my fav prospect, however great value as a 2nd rounder. Redline had him at #6. Bad interview or not. Brindle comparisons aside, I think he will be one of the next 5 selections and he will make some team crazy happy they landed him as a 2nd rounder.

2) Brink: Scouts blasted him for his skating or lack thereof. On the ice he has proved everyone wrong. He's a great story. Rangers could use a playmaker. He's the best play,alert on the board.

3) Lavoie: Was ranked higher than Kayilev and Brink on quite a few places. Was really surprised that a 6'4 200lb goal scorer who was though to go in the first half of the draft by some experts slipped out of the round. I don't think he will slip too far. There's a lot to like as a 2nd rounder here.

4) M Robertson: I guess nobody wanted to play it safe with the big bodied man that can skate. Some places compared him to Parayko. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the first name called today.

5) Dorofyev: Steve K loves the guy. The European fans of HF love the guy. Some thought he would go top 10. McKemzie and his merry men of the scouting world didn't love the guy. Some have him as a 3rd? Where does he go today?

6) Mastrosimone: One thing I do know is that 1 NYR scout loves this local player. Did he do enough to convince the committee in the war room? Might be the hardest working player in the draft.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, potentially at some point.

I don’t think that time is now.

After we see what happens with Panarin, Kreider, Marner, Kapanen, etc., I think the picture becomes more clear. As that happens, it becomes easier to figure out what’s possible and not possible.

But that’s why you stay in contact with other teams.
Wouldn’t Kreids be going the other way? Or would Toronto be interested in Buch+. Man Kreider and Willy on the same team is some freak of nature type stuff.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah, we all want the instant gratification of trades NOW, but with the artificial pressure of the draft now past, GMs may want to wait to see how things shake out with their RFAs and bigger UFA targets before they pull the trigger.

Certainly, they’ll want to know the exact cap number.

Reactions: Tawnos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad