Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Spence is interesting to me, but I hardly watch the Q.

I like Warren a lot out of the US guys, more than Thrun or Helleson I think. Vlasic would be nice if he falls to the 2nd.

Harley has some good tools but I just feel like he’s dumb. Then again I said that about Bode Wilde, and last I checked he’s lighting it up.

Well that was pretty rampant as a take around the scouting community from those I talk to. His trouble being eligible in the NCAA also wasn't helping his argument for this in my opinion.

I would love to figure out a way to get a center in the top 5 and somehow get Knight as well at some point in the first round. I would move assets to come get him. With Knight, Petruzzelli and Larsson I think our future goalie is for sure there, heck I think that would be our 1-2 battery and fairly quickly here in a couple years. Knight is ridiculously good, he reminds me of Gibson, Vasy and the other 1st round stud netminders.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well that was pretty rampant as a take around the scouting community from those I talk to. His trouble being eligible in the NCAA also wasn't helping his argument for this in my opinion.

I would love to figure out a way to get a center in the top 5 and somehow get Knight as well at some point in the first round. I would move assets to come get him. With Knight, Petruzzelli and Larsson I think our future goalie is for sure there, heck I think that would be our 1-2 battery and fairly quickly here in a couple years. Knight is ridiculously good, he reminds me of Gibson, Vasy and the other 1st round stud netminders.

I don’t usually bother ranking goalies, and I have him at #16, so I feel you there.

But I think he will go in the teens and we won’t be able to get a second pick that high. Plus I’d be tempted to take a skater in the 10-20 range if we pulled that off because someone I like will probably drop. If he is still there in the 20’s then I might start making calls and try to grab him.

I have a lot of faith in Larsson, personally. Kid has done nothing but dominate from the second he came over to North America.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
...he will go in the teens and we won’t be able to get a second pick that high. Plus I’d be tempted to take a skater in the 10-20 range if we pulled that off because someone I like will probably drop. If he is still there in the 20’s then I might start making calls and try to grab him.
I like both these options.

Deal the logical vets for picks, including a late first rounder. Then watch the draft board and see if it makes sense to package that pick and move up into the 15-20 range, depending on who falls to you. Because I would be very surprised if there isn't a tantalizing name or two still hanging around.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t usually bother ranking goalies, and I have him at #16, so I feel you there.

But I think he will go in the teens and we won’t be able to get a second pick that high. Plus I’d be tempted to take a skater in the 10-20 range if we pulled that off because someone I like will probably drop. If he is still there in the 20’s then I might start making calls and try to grab him.

I have a lot of faith in Larsson, personally. Kid has done nothing but dominate from the second he came over to North America.

With those three in the system I am confident one would work out is what makes me happy. We address something that will need to be addressed at some point. My big thing is after the July 1st period next year I want almost the total plan picture there in the system. Sure there will be tweaks but my expectation is I can identify the core and the future pieces we are counting on by July 7th, 2020 or I am very concerned this is going to be prolonged. We have the ability to do a lot of that for me having Larsson and Knight in the system would be a we are good at goalie situation because I am confident they could. Also happy with the bounce back out of Petruzzelli who has been better this year.

Larsson has to be in my top 10 Wings prospects but I hate ranking goalies. I just think Knight is a star, a top 10 tender for a long time in this league is how I would project him. In my opinion a guy that will be in the 2026 Olympics with Team USA. Really a spectacular talent. I think it was Craig Button or Pierre that recently said the only goalie he has seen this calm at the same age is Price... So yeah I would like him and take him in the teens.

Though I agree I am not sure how we get there. I just hope they are exploring options towards that and would move up if he materialized in a reasonable area.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm increasingly convinced we need to draft Cozens so he can train in the dungeon this summer and become C-Boss.

But seriously, I think having two centers in that very high-speed mold would be jawdropping. Teams already can't handle Larkin. A bigger guy who's crazy fast also? The other team's second pairing would be looking for somewhere to hide.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm increasingly convinced we need to draft Cozens so he can train in the dungeon this summer and become C-Boss.

But seriously, I think having two centers in that very high-speed mold would be jawdropping. Teams already can't handle Larkin. A bigger guy who's crazy fast also? The other team's second pairing would be looking for somewhere to hide.

Then throw Veleno and/or AA out there on line 3.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Headline: Dualing Dylans Drive Detroit to Dominance.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The idea of throwing out the Dylans shift after shift is very enticing. Plus in end of game situations you have an ideal close out pairing with left handed and right handed draw ability.

I had Dylan Cozens second entering last summer, but became enamored with a couple other guys. He is a heck of a player though and you can see his fit with what we have built thus far. Turcotte is also a really good center in my opinion with a rock solid two-way game.

I love Dach ability to pass and see the Thornton and Getzlaf comparisons. I don't really want to miss on a big guy with that kind of offensive potential. But I think there are so many solid center options this year, we should be able to find a big impact guy in the middle in my opinion.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Who's Koylachonok?
Solid D prospect that has been picking it up lately but doesn’t get enough hype due to his team. It seems he’s moved up to the first round in a ton of mocks. The slow start could be because any of the following: new team, ice size, and new country.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Spence is interesting to me, but I hardly watch the Q.

I like Warren a lot out of the US guys, more than Thrun or Helleson I think. Vlasic would be nice if he falls to the 2nd.

Harley has some good tools but I just feel like he’s dumb. Then again I said that about Bode Wilde, and last I checked he’s lighting it up.

You aren't the only one who feels that way about Harley. He does make some crazy decisions from time to time but I really appreciate the development curve and tools. I could just be reaching to find defensemen that I like in this draft. I just can't bring myself to love most of this year's defensemen. It really feels like one of the weaker parts of the draft. I have nothing against Spence or Warren, especially in the third or fourth. I expect, however, that there will be forwards available when those two come off of the board that I like better.

The two Kelowna kids are solid. I would consider one of them in the second if they are still around.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You aren't the only one who feels that way about Harley. He does make some crazy decisions from time to time but I really appreciate the development curve and tools. I could just be reaching to find defensemen that I like in this draft. I just can't bring myself to love most of this year's defensemen. It really feels like one of the weaker parts of the draft. I have nothing against Spence or Warren, especially in the third or fourth. I expect, however, that there will be forwards available when those two come off of the board that I like better.

The two Kelowna kids are solid. I would consider one of them in the second if they are still around.

You got a Bernard-Docker up your sleeve again?

This kid just came up on my radar, and I’m intrigued: Zachary Jones at eliteprospects.com

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Was in the area on Friday, so I caught 2/3 of the USNT U-18 home game. Not at all surprised that Turcotte's getting consideration for the top 5. He is definitely on another level than the rest. I know a lot of folks are regarding him as a two-way center who has the skill to go along with it, but I got the sense that he's actually more of a skilled center who has the two-way game to go along with it. Great skater but he doesn't need it to compensate for any alleged lack of skill or vision. The guy has it.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he clocks in at 6'0 at the combine and ends up filling out to a 200+ playing weight. He is built. Looked bigger than Boldy, for reference.

Wasn't overly impressed by York, Vlasic, or Zegras. Boldy was great but ranking him over Turcotte is laughable. Caulfield left something to be desired in his own zone but is every bit the goal scorer he's advertised to be. The size didn't seem to be an issue for him there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You got a Bernard-Docker up your sleeve again?

This kid just came up on my radar, and I’m intrigued: Zachary Jones at eliteprospects.com

Sadly no, not at defense apart from some late-round over age kids. I think there are actually a good number of solid forwards playing Tier II (even high school) in this year's draft, but the mid-round defensemen feel somewhat ordinary. We still need to draft some of them, but I can't say they scream upside. That being said, I have not watched as much of the European prospects as I should. Perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sadly no, not at defense apart from some late-round over age kids. I think there are actually a good number of solid forwards playing Tier II (even high school) in this year's draft, but the mid-round defensemen feel somewhat ordinary. We still need to draft some of them, but I can't say they scream upside. That being said, I have not watched as much of the European prospects as I should. Perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place.

I’m interested by this kid: Simon Lundmark at eliteprospects.com

Maybe @ChadS can weigh in on the Euro d men.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Just purely stat watching, but I see this Mike Koster kid has 40 pts in 18 games playing HS hockey... could be something there.

Mike Koster at eliteprospects.com

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Byram.

We need to start building out our defense.

Jeez, the Oilers (although an EXTREME example) did the whole “shiny offensive guy” thing for the better part of a decade and look at them. It’s a shame too BC McDavid is so incredibly talented and will ultimately play his prime years in squaller.

I am not saying we are anywhere close to the fundamentally crap drafting Edmonton is.

I used them as an example - again, an EXTREME example, that holds no paralell to the Red Wings outside the whole “best offensive player” available strategy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg