2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Samuel Fagemo can't be passed on at 40 if he's there. These kinds of players always slip too far.

Just watching Benning trying to pronounce that name singlehandedly makes it worth it.
he should be a 1st easily, these rankings are all outta wack

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm not sure it could be any worse than the 2015-16 season where went into the draft with 5 picks and our top one was Olli Juolevi. And quite possibly we'll get 0 good NHL players out of it.

Simply unacceptable to finish with 2nd worst record in the NHL and completely blow a draft and get no good players out of the whole draft.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Take this with a massive grain of salt, but I got to watch him early on in the season and I felt he looked very much like a complimentary player, didn't drive play so much as capitalize on his teammates' chances - he didn't amaze to the extent Tyson Jost did

but that's one game, very early on in the season, and I haven't seen him since, and as I recall, other posters who were at that same game had a completely different opinion, so maybe I needed my eyes checked

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I actually liked Newhook more than I liked Jost having seen both at the same age.

His faceoff game is very good, not as intense as Jost but was just in the right spot every time and made things happen.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I am very willing to hear any argument in favour of Soderstrom, because the common opinion here is that he'd be a bad choice at our range (with the assertion that he doesn't have enough upside)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Also, Kirby Dach is going to be a big time draft riser similiar to how Kotkaniemi and Dubois shot up the draft boards.

IMO he’s going to be a top 5 pick. He might be discussed around our pick right now, but similiar to how I predicted Kotkaniemi rising last year, he will not be available at 9.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Also, Kirby Dach is going to be a big time draft riser similiar to how Kotkaniemi and Dubois shot up the draft boards.

IMO he’s going to be a top 5 pick. He might be discussed around our pick right now, but similiar to how I predicted Kotkaniemi rising last year, he will not be available at 9.

I don't know if he can really be considered a riser. If anything, his stock was higher in October.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Considering Dach has been in the that 3-10 range all season and there is no consensus order for that group, I'm not sure you can call him a riser if that's the case.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'd go for boldy, zegras, or krebs at 9 all of them could fit nicely in the top line lw spot.
Would love for the Canucks to get another pick in the mid first and grab Thomas harley, kid is an August birthday so one of the youngest in the draft and had a pretty good season in the ohl
Realistically how does JB manage to get another 1st. There's nothing on the roster that would garner that return unless it's moving a pending RFA like Goldy and our 2nd to move up to the back end of the 1st round. Though I would not be opposed to this based on myself not seeing Goldobin a long term piece moving forward. Hutton maybe could do it if someone is desperate but even then I don't see him returning a 1st round pick.
How about taking a defensemen in the second? Someone like Lassi Thomson I think would be a nice addition if available.
Right now any of the 3 Rocket players I'd be all for if they are available at our second pick. Don't see Foote being there for sure but Thomson or Korczak would be good additions especially with Kelowna's track record of developing defencemen.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Right now any of the 3 Rocket players I'd be all for if they are available at our second pick. Don't see Foote being there for sure but Thomson or Korczak would be good additions especially with Kelowna's track record of developing defencemen.

The only reason I'm concerned about Korczak is his offensive ceiling may not be that good.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Can definitely see Dach being picked top 5, a big RH centre is always coveted.

The more I read about Bobby Brink, the more bullish I am on him. He's going to be one of those players that should have been drafted higher.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I am totally okay with Dach rising in this draft because there are other prospects I'm liking better than him. At this point (not my own rankings) I could very well see the top 5 being some combination of: Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Byram, Dach. That would leave one of Turcotte, Cozens, Boldy or Zegras for the Canucks. I would be ecstatic with either one of those. Realistically, I could see Turcotte and Zegras gone before it gets to the Canucks pick, so we'll likely be choosing between Cozens and Boldy, and either would look good with our nucleus.

If we go off the board and pick Soderstrom or Broberg just because they're defensemen that'll be another blunder.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I am totally okay with Dach rising in this draft because there are other prospects I'm liking better than him. At this point (not my own rankings) I could very well see the top 5 being some combination of: Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Byram, Dach. That would leave one of Turcotte, Cozens, Boldy or Zegras for the Canucks. I would be ecstatic with either one of those. Realistically, I could see Turcotte and Zegras gone before it gets to the Canucks pick, so we'll likely be choosing between Cozens and Boldy, and either would look good with our nucleus.

If we go off the board and pick Soderstrom or Broberg just because they're defensemen that'll be another blunder.

Fully agree. Boldy would be solid. I don't think Cozens makes it to 9 but I would be thrilled if he did. If Cozens or Zegras are sitting there and Benning takes Broberg or Soderstrom it will be hard to take after another long non playoff season.

One slightly encouraging thing, is that Benning seems to like the US development players and Brackett might be an influence there.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think with a lot of players this year from different leagues being bunched up in the rankings and some intriguing European players, mostly defensemen, in the mix, the U18 tournament is going to again have a huge impact on the draft order of these players.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Realistically how does JB manage to get another 1st. There's nothing on the roster that would garner that return unless it's moving a pending RFA like Goldy and our 2nd to move up to the back end of the 1st round. Though I would not be opposed to this based on myself not seeing Goldobin a long term piece moving forward. Hutton maybe could do it if someone is desperate but even then I don't see him returning a 1st round pick.

With the glut of top four defencemen in the league not every team has 4 top four defencemen .
Toronto has two and if they could fix their defensive shortcomings with a couple of seconds then don't you think they would.
We have three in Edler , Tanev and Hutton.
Hutton is at least a #4 and perhaps a three.
Its been awhile since we had four top d so trading one away for a magic bean second , with all due respect sounds ludicrous.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
With the glut of top four defencemen in the league not every team has 4 top four defencemen .
Toronto has two and if they could fix their defensive shortcomings with a couple of seconds then don't you think they would.
We have three in Edler , Tanev and Hutton.
Hutton is at least a #4 and perhaps a three.
Its been awhile since we had four top d so trading one away for a magic bean second , with all due respect sounds ludicrous.
Completely agree, in no way was I advocating for trading Hutton. More so just stating that as great as it would be to add another 1st round pick in this draft, we don't have the pieces to make it happen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I've come to the realization that its totally cool discussing young players, but at the end of the day..we know very little..The player we're all clamouring for,all of a sudden drops down the draft...Fans get emotionally attached to a certain player in the 'top tier' 'top3',or 'top 5' or whatever, and it turns out be the next Dal Colle,or Puljijarvi.

This year,I'll just leave it up to Brackett and the scouts..we pick who we pick.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What’s happened to cozens that’s he’s now expected to be there around 9

Dach, Turcotte, and Zegras are all C's. And Byram has had a meteoric rise. Given Cozens is a winger I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to 7 or 8, though I don't think he'll make it to 9. Matthew Boldy is probably the guy we would end up with, unless Benning goes off the board and takes a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad