2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I dont think they are planning on moving Tanev / Edler.

They are playing them so much they will likely be really banged up by the trade deadline.
Tanev I don't want them to move anymore anyways. Hughes or Juolevi need to be paired with him next year. Otherwise Gudbrandson gets the call and that's a disaster. Edler I could see being moved and then re-signed July 1st like Pleakanec's did with Montreal last year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Tanev I don't want them to move anymore anyways. Hughes or Juolevi need to be paired with him next year. Otherwise Gudbrandson gets the call and that's a disaster. Edler I could see being moved and then re-signed July 1st like Pleakanec's did with Montreal last year.

Then the reasonable thing would be to give them easier minutes to make them look better and cut their time to make sure they are healthy.

Not moving Tanev was a huge mistake. Not sure what he can bring at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Then the reasonable thing would be to give them easier minutes to make them look better and cut their time to make sure they are healthy.

But we also don’t know how much of the he’s always hurt card that other GMs are playing. This the offers could be very low.

And as others have said, who would you pair Hughes and Juolevi with given Bennings inability to find quality Dmen if you traded those 2 guys?

Reactions: Jack Burton

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Green isn't coaching for the future though. He's coaching for right now. That's why Edler and Tanev have been saddled with so many minutes. Thus with how piss poor of a roster Benning gave him to work with their shot blocks are both top 4 in the league. I can't really blame Green for having to use them the way he is based on what he has to work with. I'm completely on team tank because this team while they've been more exciting this year, still suck. So I agree that their minutes should be reduced to keep them healthy and tradeable. But he has no other options to take those extra minutes on.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But we also don’t know how much of the he’s always hurt card that other GMs are playing. This the offers could be very low.

And as others have said, who would you pair Hughes and Juolevi with given Bennings inability to find quality Dmen if you traded those 2 guys?

I guess most of the things I would like to do in a rebuild involve being able to evaluate pro talent, so yeah.. Might as well keep them I guess.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It's only a matter of time before the Canucks fall back to earth. They are overachieving but they overachieved last season at the start and than collapsed for the next 30 games and then finished the season strong. I feel this season will be similar

It could very well go like this again,it all depends on when Tanev and/or Edler break down and/or get injured which is inevitable with their deployment and number of shots they’re absorbing.That will expose our lack of defensive depth and we’ll be bleeding way too many quality chances for Markstrom or Nilsson to fend off and we won’t be able to outscore our troubles.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
It could very well go like this again,it all depends on when Tanev and/or Edler break down and/or get injured which is inevitable with their deployment and number of shots they’re absorbing.That will expose our lack of defensive depth and we’ll be bleeding way too many quality chances for Markstrom or Nilsson to fend off and we won’t be able to outscore our troubles.

Yeah I totally agree. It’s really early and I just can’t see them overachieving for 82 games. Eventually both Tanev and Edler will break down, I expect Pettersson , Boeser and Horvat will enter a slump at some point etc. Nilsson and Markstorm have been subpar at best and Green knows it.

I want this season too be about the development of Horvat , Boeser, Pettersson , Goldobin etc and next season you add Dahlin , Hughes , Juolevi , Gaudette etc too this team and hopefully a top 5 pick and then we are talking about an incredibly talented young team ready 5o turn a corner

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I guess most of the things I would like to do in a rebuild involve being able to evaluate pro talent, so yeah.. Might as well keep them I guess.

If we're going to "mentor" or need "intangibles" then I'd rather have it on the blue line.

I've got no problem if Edler gets moved but Tanev better bring one hell of a return.

Tanev is on too good of a contract considering who's coming up.

I think we need him more than his value on the market.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Damn,I think I jinxed Edler.I guess it was inevitable and the long road trip and short turnaround just brought it on sooner.Long losing streak incoming if Edler is out long term.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

That depends on what he's worth. Can't say it was a mistake if we don't know what is offered.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
There's like only 5-6 players that get me excited in this draft.

Hughes/Kakko
Cozens
Dach
Podkolzin

Broberg is intriguing, and need to see more of Turcotte.

Reactions: timw33

northwestern comfort

Jan 11, 2016
Vancouver
If we're going to "mentor" or need "intangibles" then I'd rather have it on the blue line.

I've got no problem if Edler gets moved but Tanev better bring one hell of a return.

Tanev is on too good of a contract considering who's coming up.

I think we need him more than his value on the market.
I’m not as big of a Tanev fan as some around here, but he has no trade value. Injuries and a defence first style ensure that his only asset is his contract. The gap between his value to the Canucks and other teams is massive. I’d rather keep him around and use him to help transition younger players like Hughes who’ll need his defence so they can let their offensive skills shine.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There's like only 5-6 players that get me excited in this draft.

Hughes/Kakko
Cozens
Dach
Podkolzin

Broberg is intriguing, and need to see more of Turcotte.

It's pretty imperative we walk out of 2019 with Hughes or Kakko. We need gamebreakers and they're the only ones who really project as that. Dach and Cozens are close, but I don't think they have that elite elite skill level.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's pretty imperative we walk out of 2019 with Hughes or Kakko. We need gamebreakers and they're the only ones who really project as that. Dach and Cozens are close, but I don't think they have that elite elite skill level.

Those 4 players should go in the top4 spots of the draft this year. Dach and Cozens offer a chance at big right hand centres. Both project as 1Cs. After this lot, there appears to be a drop off.

The Canucks are unlikely to finish in the bottom4. That leaves them players like Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, Suzuki, Newhook or Krebs. Still good talents, but not of the calibre of the top4.

There is no direct fit for the Canucks in this draft. Benning doesn’t like wingers early. He favours Cs and Ds. Issue with this is that the Canucks will be out of the running for the best Cs, and the best Ds are left hand shots. No ideal fit.

In that grouping behind the top4, I think the best picks may be Suzuki, Turcotte or Byram. Each offers something the Canucks could use.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The Canucks should be very very familiar with Byram , not only is he from BC but he plays for the giants. We desperately need D and W prospects. If we draft Dach or Cozens one of them will be transferred to wing since Horvat and Pettersson will already have NHL experience at C. That or they will run 3 lines evenly.

When Tanev and Edler are gone , we still need another 2-3 more top 4 dmen. Assuming Hughes fills one spot..we desperately need juolevi to fill one spot too.

Hughes-Gudbranson
Stetcher-Juolevi
Pouliot-Hutton

That still looks like complete trash and no matter how good our forwards are we won't be good, that's a main reason why I hope they do their due diligence on Byram who should be the best dman in the draft. Don't know much about broberg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Canucks should be very very familiar with Byram , not only is he from BC but he plays for the giants. We desperately need D and W prospects. If we draft Dach or Cozens one of them will be transferred to wing since Horvat and Pettersson will already have NHL experience at C. That or they will run 3 lines evenly.

When Tanev and Edler are gone , we still need another 2-3 more top 4 dmen. Assuming Hughes fills one spot..we desperately need juolevi to fill one spot too.

Hughes-Gudbranson
Stetcher-Juolevi
Pouliot-Hutton

That still looks like complete trash and no matter how good our forwards are we won't be good, that's a main reason why I hope they do their due diligence on Byram who should be the best dman in the draft. Don't know much about broberg

They can convert a C to W. That’s why it may be best to draft a C in this one. Suzuki will be in the top7~ by the time the draft rolls around. Could be a good pick up in that range.

Byram is solid, and I wouldn’t mind that pick either, but it will depend upon what is left on the board. If a team in the top4 is desperate for a Dman, then they could take Byram and allow one of Dach or Cozens to slip to pick #5. Victor Soderstrom is also there as a wildcard RHD pick.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Those 4 players should go in the top4 spots of the draft this year. Dach and Cozens offer a chance at big right hand centres. Both project as 1Cs. After this lot, there appears to be a drop off.

The Canucks are unlikely to finish in the bottom4. That leaves them players like Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, Suzuki, Newhook or Krebs. Still good talents, but not of the calibre of the top4.

There is no direct fit for the Canucks in this draft. Benning doesn’t like wingers early. He favours Cs and Ds. Issue with this is that the Canucks will be out of the running for the best Cs, and the best Ds are left hand shots. No ideal fit.

In that grouping behind the top4, I think the best picks may be Suzuki, Turcotte or Byram. Each offers something the Canucks could use.

Well if we finish dead last we're guaranteed at least pick 4 right :sarcasm:

Am I mean, the draft is in Vancouver. Canuck luck has to turn around at some point?

Plus with Edler and Tanev out for a bit maybe we'll start to plummet hard.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They can convert a C to W. That’s why it may be best to draft a C in this one. Suzuki will be in the top7~ by the time the draft rolls around. Could be a good pick up in that range.

Byram is solid, and I wouldn’t mind that pick either, but it will depend upon what is left on the board. If a team in the top4 is desperate for a Dman, then they could take Byram and allow one of Dach or Cozens to slip to pick #5. Victor Soderstrom is also there as a wildcard RHD pick.

I caught a Giants game recently and wasn't too impressed with Bryam. Seemed pretty vanilla, makes some nice short outlet passes, but also got lost and outmuscled in the D-zone. He was the Giants best defenseman at controlling play in the O-zone though.

He seems more like a mid-late 1st calibre player to me.

If we're outside that top-four group, might as well swing on a guy like Podkolzin. I'm a fan of Turcotte though too.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I caught a Giants game recently and wasn't too impressed with Bryam. Seemed pretty vanilla, makes some nice short outlet passes, but also got lost and outmuscled in the D-zone. He was the Giants best defenseman at controlling play in the O-zone though.

He seems more like a mid-late 1st calibre player to me.

If we're outside that top-four group, might as well swing on a guy like Podkolzin. I'm a fan of Turcotte though too.

Outside the top4 I’m leaning towards Turcotte, Suzuki or Newhook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad