2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You’re so CLOSE - there are just no points. None. That’s the solution.

Points are easier to track for casual fans and the increased parity is good for business.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No they’re not. Sports fans are completely turned off by the insane points system.

Yeah that points thing is just confusing for anybody that doesn't follow the sport closely. The parity thing is right on though. You have more teams with a record that "looks" .500 and more teams stay in the playoff hunt longer. I mean we're dreadful and still easily within striking distance of a playoff spot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah that points thing is just confusing for anybody that doesn't follow the sport closely. The parity thing is right on though. You have more teams with a record that "looks" .500 and more teams stay in the playoff hunt longer. I mean we're dreadful and still easily within striking distance of a playoff spot.
And yet, you can predict the 16 playoff teams with like 80% efficiency based on the standings on Thanksgiving. Fake parity.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No they’re not. Sports fans are completely turned off by the insane points system.

You're pretty far removed from what constitutes the average sports fan (15 years on a niche forum for a niche team in what is the most niche of the major NA sports). Fake parity is good for business and that's why they strive for it.

I don't have a problem with any of it. I don't like bad, unexciting teams.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I still miss the easily read standings that went W-L-T P

I miss ties... And I hate the loser point and shoot out. There, I said it.

Reactions: RABBIT

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I still miss the easily read standings that went W-L-T P

I miss ties... And I hate the loser point and shoot out. There, I said it.

I loathe ties. The existence of ties a) deprives fans of a proper resolution and b) offers an out for teams to play not to lose rather than to play to win.

The win/loss without points thing is fine, but it would require a significant shift in hockey thinking to work, and those types of significant shifts are highly unlikely in pro hockey because their thinking is fossilized and stagnant. The reason I like three-point games as I stated above is because it radically devalues losing and greatly rewards winning in regulation - theoretically, it would motivate teams to avoid playing for OT and the shootout, especially late in the season.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Yup. No shoot outs. 3 on 3 until there is a winner.

I’ve been ok with a loser point, because 5v5 OT is too long for the regular season. If you are going to truncate a game, the loser point is compensation.

But I have come around since 3v3. I agree with Jakey, 3v3 until a winner, but I say no loser point. It’s still a truncation of the game, but I don’t feel like anyone is getting cheated by it.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
My preference would be 2 points if you win in regulation, 1 point if you win in OT and zero points if you don't win but I can live with the current loser point system as well. At least ties are gone, I hate ties with a passion!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I’ve been ok with a loser point, because 5v5 OT is too long for the regular season. If you are going to truncate a game, the loser point is compensation.

But I have come around since 3v3. I agree with Jakey, 3v3 until a winner, but I say no loser point. It’s still a truncation of the game, but I don’t feel like anyone is getting cheated by it.

3 on 3 certainly emphasizes speed and skill and that's what the league wants.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
3 on 3 certainly emphasizes speed and skill and that's what the league wants.
The game could be a real snooze fest, but when it's 3 on 3 it brings the fans to their feet. Even if the game ends up tied at five, all we talk about on the way home was the 3 on 3, not the game, not the shoot out, just the 3 on 3.

Reactions: RemoAZ and MIG

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You're pretty far removed from what constitutes the average sports fan (15 years on a niche forum for a niche team in what is the most niche of the major NA sports). Fake parity is good for business and that's why they strive for it.

I don't have a problem with any of it. I don't like bad, unexciting teams.
Fake parity is good. You said points system was easier to get. I say it’s consuing and off putting as it’s extremely niche and unfamiliar to sports fans.

I’m not a sports fan. I want the Cardinals, Suns and Diamondbacks to leave the state.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Feckless said:
The existence of ties a) deprives fans of a proper resolution and b) offers an out for teams to play not to lose rather than to play to win.

A) Meh. Was never a big deal. "Oh, well, at least we got a point and didn't lose". Today, "We lost, but got at least we got a point". Not sure how that is any more satisfying.

B) As a longtime spectator, I'd say we actually see way more of that today. It starts in the third period now instead of OT. "Just hang on until we get to OT"... Never saw that before the loser point. Before it was generally "let's put these guys away so we don't have to go to OT". Coaching philosophy league-wide seemed to get more conservative to take advantage of the guaranteed point.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
My early top 7, based on very little. and which will definitely change after the CHL Top Prospects game.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Podkolzin
Krebs
Tomasino

I'd be thrilled if any of these guys became Coyotes.

Basically, as long as the pick is a forward I'm happy.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Lanky, you like Tomasino more than Dach? I like Tomasino, I think he's a riser along w/McMichael, but I don't know if I could put him above Dach...and btw, where do you have Zegras?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I realize it's absurd to have Tomasino over Dach. Important to note that I've never seen either play. I know nothing. I hope Dach is healthy in time for the prospect game so that I can see them on the same ice.

I like Tomasino because he's a goal scorer and that he plays with speed and energy. I'm not sure how well Dach stacks up in those areas.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
A) Meh. Was never a big deal. "Oh, well, at least we got a point and didn't lose". Today, "We lost, but got at least we got a point". Not sure how that is any more satisfying.

B) As a longtime spectator, I'd say we actually see way more of that today. It starts in the third period now instead of OT. "Just hang on until we get to OT"... Never saw that before the loser point. Before it was generally "let's put these guys away so we don't have to go to OT". Coaching philosophy league-wide seemed to get more conservative to take advantage of the guaranteed point.

We're also kind of spoiled because they do it 'right' for playoffs. "We don't care if you drop from exhaustion; you're not leaving until you or they score a goal"...I mean, I'm still in the "I prefer ties to shootouts" camp, but I know why they do it. I might feel a little better if it was a 20-minute OT and a 5-man shootout like IIHF gold medal games, but again I see why they don't do it like that...because I live in the EV and don't wanna get home at midnight on weeknights :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad