2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
They refuse to stay the course. We've been playing waiver fodder over prospects for the last decade. Sure, we haven't drafted well but they haven't even tried to develop most of their picks when we've been dreadful. Instead, they try to win some meaningless games and screw our draft position more and repeat the process all over again the next season. Hockey the hard way.

Maybe it is difficult when there is little to develop.

Talking about the years from 2006 until Chayka truly took over in 2015:

2006: Mueller - we started to develop him in 07-08 and 08-09. Then he said, "I don't want to play defense or learn to get better at it," and fell into the doghouse. At some point, you have to be able to play away from the puck and better defensively, or you can't keep up. His first year with any team has always been his best year, and then he declines. Summers, Ahnelov, Latal, Bendfeld, Frank, Benn Ferriero were our other picks. Ferreiro played in a total of 98 NHL games over four seasons. You can't develop what doesn't have the ability and talent to develop further.

2007: Turris - this is probably one of the only players with a legitimate complaint against. He was sent to San Antonio to learn how to play against men and gain strength and physicality. He balked at that and assumed that we were holding him back in doing so. He hasn't even been an All-Star at this point, and is probably exactly what he is: a 0.6 PPG center. Ross, MacLean, Gistedt, Ruzicka, Goncharov, and Darling. Darling was an alcoholic. MacLean had the heart condition. Again - which one of these players did we technically "fail" to develop?

I could go on, but same story: incredibly poor drafting leads to getting players who don't have a great development path b/c their ceilings are so low.

Bottom line is that 80% of our failures to develop players were b/c they didn't have the talent to become everyday NHLers.

Michael Stone? We developed him and I don't think anyone could complain about that.
Schlemko? Did anyone think that he would see significant time in the NHL?
Boedker? We at least started it, but then he pretty much hit his ceiling.
Martinook? We developed him decently, but again, he was an overager by two seasons, if I recall, so he was already a little more mature than others.

It is tough when you draft poorly and can't stay the course, OR the course is altered by individuals who don't give it their all - looking specifically at Turris and Strome there.

When you look at development, again, most development has already occurred. The next course of development is gaining muscle and maintaining skating ability, which are primarily done in the offseason. On ice, it is a matter of making the mental decisions quicker and understanding small aspects of the game, mainly on the mental side of things. Shielding the puck better against the boards, as an example, is something that most players are already aware of how to do, but small adjustments may need to be made to deal with the speed of the game once the puck is split out from the scrum. If the players need to spend that much time on developing that aspect of the game, they aren't going to make it in the NHL or AHL anyhow.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Coyote fans are conditioned to not expect much out of the draft, but even without our GM going into sell mode, the injury bug is having the same effect.

From a point percentage standpoint we are 6th from the bottom, but we're only 2 away from fewest points in the league. Our leading point per game guy just went down, and so might the club in the standings. Might need to revise the thread title.

unlcD1b.png

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I haven’t followed this draft class much.

Are they all better or projected better than Hayton?
I think they all project to be better point producers than Hayton.

Cozens is an every situation player with speed.

Dach is a smooth playmaker.

Turcotte has a dynamic element to his game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How crazy is it, 2 points out of the bottom, 6 points from a wild card spot?

I think this is mostly a result of the bottom teams being better lately.

5 years ago the worst team had a 32% points percentage.
This year the worst has 40.5%

Lottery rule changes probably part of that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Loser point should die with fire. Other than tripling the width of the blue line, the destruction of the points system in favor of a wins and losses system is the one change I’d make to the NHL if I had a magic wand.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think this is mostly a result of the bottom teams being better lately.

5 years ago the worst team had a 32% points percentage.
This year the worst has 40.5%

Yeah, I noticed that too. A lot of bad teams, but none so terrible. Thing is, we'll heal up a little, finally, end up like 21st with 78-80 pts and everyone will be all frowny face here again.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, I noticed that too. A lot of bad teams, but none so terrible. Thing is, we'll heal up a little, finally, end up like 21st with 78-80 pts and everyone will be all frowny face here again.
We’re currently on pace for 76pts. Which is 26th (6th lottery spot). Upping our pace by two wins seems like a reasonable expectation if the team does actually become healthy. My preseason prediction was 83pts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Loser point should die with fire. Other than tripling the width of the blue line, the destruction of the points system in favor of a wins and losses system is the one change I’d make to the NHL if I had a magic wand.

Three-point games. Three for a regulation win, two for an OT win, one for a shootout win. No points for the loser.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Three-point games. Three for a regulation win, two for an OT win, one for a shootout win. No points for the loser.

That wouldn't be bad. I'd also like to see 3 on 3 time doubled to 10 minutes to reduce shootouts. 3 on 3 is usually exciting, and playing another 5 minutes shouldn't overfatigue the teams or contribute to more injuries (very little 3on3 hitting), but more games would end in OT wins vs shootouts.

Reactions: Lilhoody and RemoAZ

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't think there should be any difference between a regulation win, OT win or SO win.

A win is a win. All there should be is Wins & Losses. Winner gets 1pt, Loser gets 0pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad