Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wow, can't believe I'm missing this. Happy for you guys who are in town and/or have tickets!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Recovering from a surgery in a delicate area to try and go, my buddy got free tickets.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I have a feeling it will be Newhook when it’s all said and done. Zegras and Caufield will be good as gone sadly. :(

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Still annoyed at all the useless wins we got last year, Byram would have been a dream pick for us. Not really feeling any D other than him. I'm still on board the Newhook hype train but like what I've read about Boldy as well.

Yep, does anyone (including the players) remember the moral victories of the garbage time season? Was it worth us moving down 2-4 spots, worsening our odds of a lottery win, and limiting our options so that we are at the mercy of the teams ahead of us?

In any case, I will be not very happy if we move the 40 OV + additional picks to move up unless it's Byram/Turcotte. I think being patient and taking one of the 2-3 forward options we will get at 10 is the best course of action, or a trade back of 2-4 if we know we can still get our target and add a 2nd round pick.

We really need to go hard after solid D prospects in the middle (2/3/4) rounds and for the draft in general. System needs so much more depth and we're years behind where we need to be. Go after skill all over. Take swings on high skill high motor guys in the later rounds. Please please please do not draft any CHL bottom-6 forwards or low-skill "character guys". I don't want to hear about any guys who project as bottom-6/bottom pairing/role players.

Since we haven't exactly knocked a bunch of drafts out of the park aside from ~60% of our 1st round picks, there's actually not a lot of room for error when it comes to rounds 2-7, where we have absolutely struggled to find players given how high we've been drafting in these rounds.

Reactions: THE Green Man

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Idk if this goes here or the other thread

Put it in both threads.

This is a *****ing nightmare.

The 2020 pick is our safety net for when things inevitably go off the rails.

Can you imagine following a bottom-5 team and not getting a shot at a franchise changing player in 2020?

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Put it in both threads.

This is a *****ing nightmare.

The 2020 pick is our safety net for when things inevitably go off the rails.

Can you imagine following a bottom-5 team and not getting a shot at a franchise changing player in 2020?

I'm sure the pick will be lottery protected. It's still not a particularly good move, though.

All I'll say is assuming the pick has lottery protection, this is preferable to signing Myers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
With that trade Sakic is all of a sudden Yzerman's level as GM; restoring balance to the universe

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm sure the pick will be lottery protected. It's still not a particularly good move, though.

All I'll say is assuming the pick has lottery protection, this is preferable to signing Myers.

Suuurrreeeee. Because Benning has gone out of his way to lottery protect picks he's traded in the past right? What a disaster move IMO. This is what happens when you let a lame duck guy inexplicably stay another season.

Really hope it stays just a rumour, I will be absolutely be spitting fire if it happens.

Trying to make something happen to entertain us because the draft is here!!! Wowwwwwwww!!! :(

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They're saying on SN650 that the buzz around the draft floor is that Chicago will be taking Byram, though that could obviously be "a ploy" because LA is apparently in love with the player.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
For the record, here is my top 10 draft picks, so I can claim I was totally right down the road, or ignore it completely if I'm wrong.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Podkolzin
8. Cozens
9. Caulfield
10. Newhook

I'd stay away from Boldy and Krebs at 10, and don't see a Dman worth taking there. Kaliyev intrigues me also.

Reactions: MarkMM and xtra

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I mean you would hope GM's would be on high alert after watching what happened to Ottawa last year....but we've seen a lot of similar incompetencies with this group.

If it's protected and comes with some sort of extension (~5 years) I could live with it—ideally if him being a local guy buys us a bit of a discount.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I mean you would hope GM's would be on high alert after watching what happened to Ottawa last year....but we've seen a lot of similar incompetencies with this group.

If it's protected and comes with some sort of extension (~5 years) I could live with it—ideally if him being a local guy buys us a bit of a discount.

How much is a "discounted" Barrie? $7.5 mil per?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean...he's never traded a first round pick before? What exactly is the frame of reference here?

That's exactly my frame of reference. A guy who has never done that before is about to do it for the first time....and his first time hasn't exactly engendered confidence in his abilities before. He's failed to leverage value and throws in picks like candy. He consistently tries to make the playoffs with a poorly constructed team. Have any of his past actions suggested he would be subtle enough to protect the pick?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
That's exactly my frame of reference. A guy who has never done that before is about to do it for the first time....and his first time hasn't exactly engendered confidence in his abilities before. He's failed to leverage value and throws in picks like candy. He consistently tries to make the playoffs with a poorly constructed team. Have any of his past actions suggested he would be subtle enough to protect the pick?

Christ I can't believe I have to defend Benning. You sound like everyone who was worried they'd expose Hughes to the expansion draft by overplaying him to end the season, or that Edler was about to be signed to an NMC that would necessitate protecting him.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If we trade any future 1st rounder with a team as trash as our's I'll join in the Fire Benning fanclub. Awful, awful decision if that ends up happening. We're not in a position to be trading 1sts, we should be trying to stockpile them. I hate our idiot owner.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How much is a "discounted" Barrie? $7.5 mil per?

Given what the FA D like Myers and Gardiner might sign for this summer....yeah maybe around 7. $7.5MM puts him at about 10-15th highest cap hit for D, and you'd hope to get a more rounded top pairing guy for that kinda price.

I don't see this team as being one piece like Barrie away from going "oh we're good now", we don't have the right mix of U25 D-men to grow a solid long term D-core and that worries me a lot.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Given what the FA D like Myers and Gardiner might sign for this summer....yeah maybe around 7. $7.5MM puts him at about 10-15th highest cap hit for D, and you'd hope to get a more rounded top pairing guy for that kinda price.

I don't see this team as being one piece like Barrie away from going "oh we're good now", we don't have the right mix of U25 D-men to grow a solid long term D-core and that worries me a lot.

Ditto. I still see the Canucks 3 years away from having much of any chance. Strongly doubt a first rounder is getting traded.

Reactions: dwarf and Jovofan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad