Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I'll be so annoyed if we take a defenceman, because it means we're not drafting BPA again, just like we did with Juolevi, and it'll be a mistake, just like Juolevi was.

And mid-round d-men are a total minefield. Pretty much every time there's a decent guy taken, there's 2 or 3 outright bust defencemen taken before him. At least with forwards, you may not get the best guy, but you generally get someone who can play in the league. With d-men, you miss and get some guy who plays 100 games and is out of the league.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I don’t get the big love-in with Zegras. He’s okay, but really doesn’t stand out as anyone special. I’m still super high on Newhook and hope we select him at 10. If we move up, I hope it’s because Byram or Turcotte fell a couple picks and we’re moving up to take one of them.
I'm a Newhook fan also,but I have Zegras rated a bit higher.Turcotte is going to Chic,at 3 Byram to the Avs that's why we are getting all the Barrie rumors.id love to get Byram tho.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Any of the following I am stoked with at 10:
Hughes, Kakko, Byrum, Turcotte, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Dach, Caufield

Any of these I am ok with at 10 but would like to trade down:
Newhook, Krebs

Any of these only happy if we trade down for an additional 2nd rounder:
Seider, Broberg, Kaliev, Heinola, Soderstrom, York, Harley

2nd round targets:
Korczac, Thomson, Legare, Tracey

Reactions: iceburg

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Also I should say that I would be happy with any of the US kids to be honest.

The interview that the US ?manager/coach? (last name starts with a Z) gave where he said that with this group of kids, other than one incedent he has never had a more positive and supportive group of parents than he's had with this group of kids. It really nailed it for me that the trickle down effect of that would mean you would get high character/team first types from any one of them. We have that high character in our core youth group already and grabbing an American kid would further that cause.

Some people wouldn't put as much stock in that element of team building but for me it is super important.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
I don’t get the big love-in with Zegras. He’s okay, but really doesn’t stand out as anyone special. I’m still super high on Newhook and hope we select him at 10. If we move up, I hope it’s because Byram or Turcotte fell a couple picks and we’re moving up to take one of them.
I'm with you on Byram. I'd be willing to pay a pretty large price to jump up to 3 or 4 to get him.

I know I'm in the minority here but as talented as Turcotte is, I wouldn't trade up for him.

A kid with a history of injury issues on a team with a rediculously consistent history of injury issues scares me right off.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Would be fine with pretty much any forward at 10 except for Krebs.

Honestly more intrigued about the later rounds.

I'd also look hard at trying to move up in into the later first round if someone like Kaliyev slips into that range.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I feel like you can’t move up when one of those guys falls, it’s either you make that trade now and cross your fingers or it doesn’t happen

If Detroit has Byram available to them they either laugh their butts off on the way to the podium or the price goes up considerable

Make the trade now and then settle for Zegras

Reactions: CanaFan

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Zegras won't be there and even if he is I'm not convinced he's a better pick than Krebs (assuming medical reports pass mustard), Newhook and Boldy.

Will be very vexed if we take a D man. Extremely so if it's Broberg over Soderstrom. With D you don't dare ignore ice Q.

Trading up to nab Broberg ahead of Oilers would be on par with hiring Chia in a hockey advisory capacity. Please, don't do it Jim!

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Any of the following I am stoked with at 10:
Hughes, Kakko, Byrum, Turcotte, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Dach, Caufield

Any of these I am ok with at 10 but would like to trade down:
Newhook, Krebs

Any of these only happy if we trade down for an additional 2nd rounder:
Seider, Broberg, Kaliev, Heinola, Soderstrom, York, Harley

2nd round targets:
Korczac, Thomson, Legare, Tracey
You just saved me the trouble. These are exactly my thoughts for the 10th OA. Haven't studied beyond that enough to make an educated comment on the 2nd.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
So if Colorado takes Dach, who I've heard they are high on (more so than Cozens) who does Detroit take?

Not too sure on that unfortunately, but Kris Draper followed Dach for 8-10 games back in April, so that further shows a level of interest.

Interestingly enough there’s a Kings board member who has broken some news before and he says a few things:

1) Chicago invested a lot of time talking Byram at the combine and he’d be very surprised if he’s not taken #3

2) Detroit reportedly submitted a offer to LA to move to #5 .

3) Seems to think Dach goes to Colorado @4 as it’s too good a fit.

Leaving Detroit and LA open to Cozens/Turcotte potentially.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Not too sure on that unfortunately, but Kris Draper followed Dach for 8-10 games back in April, so that further shows a level of interest.

Interestingly enough there’s a Kings board member who has broken some news before and he says a few things:

1) Chicago invested a lot of time talking Byram at the combine and he’d be very surprised if he’s not taken #3

2) Detroit reportedly submitted a offer to LA to move to #5 .

3) Seems to think Dach goes to Colorado @4 as it’s too good a fit.

Leaving Detroit and LA open to Cozens/Turcotte potentially.

Dhaliwal seems to think the Red Wings are hot for Zegras.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm with you on Byram. I'd be willing to pay a pretty large price to jump up to 3 or 4 to get him.

I know I'm in the minority here but as talented as Turcotte is, I wouldn't trade up for him.

A kid with a history of injury issues on a team with a rediculously consistent history of injury issues scares me right off.

That's fair, and I haven't given any consideration to his injury issues. I just see a kid with ridiculous talent and a potential 1C.

Reactions: LovemyNucks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
My favourite outcome would be if we traded up to 6 for 10, 40, and something small (2020 3rd?) to take Zegras. Beyond that, i’m content to just sit at 10 and take the best faller out of Cozens, Boldy, or Newhook. I would be disappointed with any of the D - Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider being the likely candidates - but it wouldn’t be as bad as Juolevi over Tkachuk back in 2016. At 5 it was absolutely disgusting to pass on high end scoring talent for a middle-pair defender, but at 10 that difference is lessened. I prefer the forwards but if I’m being brutally honest, none of them screams surefire scoring star, though I think Boldy could be a first liner in time. Cozens and Newhook more in the “good 2nd line player” range for me. Definitely players we need badly but I guess I could live with a middle pair defender instead.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Made some changes to my top 50, not many:

1. Jack Hughes, 5'10, C - NTDP
2. Kaapo Kakko, 6'2, RW - TPS (Finland)
3. Bowen Byram, 6'1, D - Vancouver (WHL)
4. Alex Turcotte, 5'11, C - NTDP
5. Dylan Cozens, 6'3, C - Lethbridge (WHL)
6. Kirby Dach, 6'4, C - Saskatoon (WHL)
7. Trevor Zegras, 6', C - NTDP
8. Vasily Podkolzin, 6'1, RW - Neva St Petersburg (Russia2)
9. Cole Caufield, 5'7, RW - NTDP
10. Arthur Kaliyev, 6'2, RW - Hamilton (OHL)
11. Matt Boldy, 6'2, LW - NTDP
12. Spencer Knight, 6'3, G - NTDP
13. Peyton Krebs, 6'0, C - Winnipeg (WHL)
14. Philip Tomasino, 6',0, Niagara (OHL)
15. Alex Newhook, 5'11, C - Victoria (BCJHL)
16. Moritz Sedier, 6'4, D - Manheim (Germany)
17. Thomas Harley, 6'3, D - Mississauga (OHL)
18. Philip Broberg, 6'3, D - AIK Allsvenskan (Sweden)
19. Egor Afanasyev, 6'3, LW - Muskegon (USHL)
20. Raphaël Lavoie, 6'4, RW - Halifax (QMJHL)
21. Danil Misyul, 6'3, D - Yaroslavl 2 (Russia)
22. Cameron York, 5'11, D - NTDP
23. Nils Hoglander, 6', LW - Rogle (Sweden)
24. Ryan Suziki, 6'1, C - Barrie (OHL)
25. Victor Soderstrom, 6', D - Brynas (Sweden)
26. Pyotr Kochetkov, 6'3, G - Ryazan (Russia)
27. Simon Holmstrom, 6'2, HV71 (Sweden)
28. Ville Heinola, 6', D - Lukko (Finland)
29. Lassi Thomson, 5'11, D - Ives (Finland)
30. Samuel Poulin, 5'11, RW - Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
31. Bobby Brink, 5'9, RW - NTDP
-
32. Jakob Pelletier, 5'9, LW - Moncton (QMJHL)
33. Connor McMichael, 5'11, C - London (OHL)
34. Brayden Tracey, 6'0, LW - Moosejaw (WHL)
35. Kaeden Korczak, 6'3, D - Kelowna (WHL)
36. Nicholas Robertson, 5'9, RW - Peterborough (OHL)
37. Vladislav Firstov, 6'1, LW - Waterloo (USHL)
38. John Farinacci, 6'0, C - Harvard (NCAA)
39. Brett Leason, 6'4, LW - Prince Albert (WHL)
40. Shane Pinto, 6'2, C - U. North Dakota (NCAA)
41. Jackson LaCombe , 6'2, D - Shattuck - St Marys Prep (High-Mn)
42. Matthew Robertson, 6'3, D - Edmonton (WHL)
43. Connor McMichael, 5'11, C - London (OHL)
44. Alexei Protas, 6'5, C - Prince Albert (WHL)
45. Graeme Clarke, 6'0, RW - Ottawa (OHL)
46. Pavel Dorofeyev, 6'1, LW - Magnitogorsk (Rus)
47. Jamieson Rees, 5'10, C - Sarnia (OHL)
48. Mads Sogaard, 6'8, G - Medicine Hat (WHL)
49. Nolan Foote, 6'4, LW - Kelowna (WHL)
50. Tobias Bjornfot, 6'0, D - Djurgarden (Swe)

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Still annoyed at all the useless wins we got last year, Byram would have been a dream pick for us. Not really feeling any D other than him. I'm still on board the Newhook hype train but like what I've read about Boldy as well.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad